You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'd be very interested in understanding how Publisher will address accessibility in their exported PDFs. Currently there is no way to tailor a document to export a PDF with any acknowledgement of A11y. I appreciate that it's early days. I just hope it hasn't been left too late. InDesign has been trying to address it, but it too was appalling in its early versions. I expected that a progressive new app might be thinking about this and build it in from the very beginning — after all we are building documents for screen so often, we can't just ignore the requirements of so many. 

IMG_1627.JPG

Edited by Ca5pian
Missing attachment

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Before Affinity can produce accessible PDF’s the public sector in the UK can’t use Affinity Publisher or PDF’s created wirh Affinity Publisher by whoever:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/how-to-publish-on-gov-uk/accessible-pdfs

Saving as PDF/A alone will not make the document accessible

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

29 minutes ago, Jowday said:

Before Affinity can produce accessible PDF’s the public sector in the UK can’t use Affinity Publisher or PDF’s created wirh Affinity Publisher by whoever:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/how-to-publish-on-gov-uk/accessible-pdfs

Citation of a government paper does not make a bad argument a better one.

In the web link there are several ways described to make a document „accessible“. The most important features are

1. Think about format (use HTML whenever possible)
  2. Keep the language simple
  3. Keep the document simple
  4. Give the document a structure
  5. Forms, complex documents and other office formats

Obviously 1-4 has nothing to do with software, but with good writing practice. Only in point 5 PDF/A is mentioned as one of several options to comply - and it is only relevant for the specific documents mentioned. There is more to read if one is interested in details.

A short search with DDG generated a choice of free online tools that will convert any pdf into a pdf/a-file. 

Conclusion: It would probably be nice if Publisher would support pdf/a-creation. But we users should not try to BS people just to get what we want.

Fake news concerning the (non-)use of Publisher for official documents should not be spread through this forum.

PDF/a is an archive format. It doesn't have anything to do with accessibility. 

Currently the best application to generate accessible pdfs is QXP. 

I have no idea whether the library Serif uses is capable of creating accessible pdfs. I guess I could go look but I'm being a bit too lazy today...

1 hour ago, Blende21 said:

Conclusion: It would probably be nice if Publisher would support pdf/a-creation. But we users should not try to BS people just to get what we want.

Fake news concerning the (non-)use of Publisher for official documents should not be spread through this forum.

Hi Trump? What "fake news"? And who are "we users" ... it is all abstract and non-qualified "inputs". At best. 

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/en/TXT/?uri=CELEX%3A32016L2102

https://kb.iu.edu/d/bfua

Making PDF's accessible is making them readable by screen readers. 100% The requirements are tough. It is actually not a kids game. Have you tried using a screen reader or witnessed anyone using one? Did you try making just one PDF accessible in Adobe Acrobat Pro? Making anything accessible requires a qualified person and the right tool. You don't just convert a file and make a few headlines.

Have you tried making accessible tables? I suppose you haven't.

So Government agencies/whoever do this with professional software for this purpose. And files uploaded to government websites MUST be accessible. Not "almost there". Not just in the right file format. They have to be CORRECT and VALID. Accessible by ANY citizen.

We had the pleasure of visiting gov.uk a few times exchanging knowledge. Ambitious and great people. You could learn a thing or two from them.

You know exactly nothing about the topic but yell very loud with crazy statements. It is not exactly interesting or enlightening having this conversation with you.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

16 minutes ago, MikeW said:

I have no idea whether the library Serif uses is capable of creating accessible pdfs. I guess I could go look but I'm being a bit too lazy today...

It is a German product so they have to make an engine that meets the requirements from the EC. It does look like they are on the right path:

https://www.pdflib.com/fileadmin/pdflib/pdf/manuals/PDFlib-9.1.1-tutorial.pdf

2 hours ago, Jowday said:

Hi Trump? What "fake news"? And who are "we users" ... it is all abstract and non-qualified "inputs". At best. 

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/en/TXT/?uri=CELEX%3A32016L2102

https://kb.iu.edu/d/bfua

Making PDF's accessible is making them readable by screen readers. 100% The requirements are tough. It is actually not a kids game. Have you tried using a screen reader or witnessed anyone using one? Did you try making just one PDF accessible in Adobe Acrobat Pro? Making anything accessible requires a qualified person and the right tool. You don't just convert a file and make a few headlines.

Have you tried making accessible tables? I suppose you haven't.

So Government agencies/whoever do this with professional software for this purpose. And files uploaded to government websites MUST be accessible. Not "almost there". Not just in the right file format. They have to be CORRECT and VALID. Accessible by ANY citizen.

We had the pleasure of visiting gov.uk a few times exchanging knowledge. Ambitious and great people. You could learn a thing or two from them.

You know exactly nothing about the topic but yell very loud with crazy statements. It is not exactly interesting or enlightening having this conversation with you.

We completely agree, accessibility is a high value, because not everybody who needs to get information is able to do it when documents are not prepared. So they need to be edited for this situation.

Apart from this, we disagree. A quick search in the EU directive showed the use of the word „pdf“ twice: One at the top, where the language versions are, another down in a paragraph together with office documents and other stuff. PDF/A is not mentioned at all. But these are facts, and you did not try to argue with or against the facts in my first posting, and you will probably not do it again. Just throwing links left and right, each with worse government-speak. The guys writing up this stuff should take some of their own medicine, like „simple language“ ...

And because your way of discussion is personally offensive and aggressive without cause, my argument stops here.