You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Please add: Like Indesign MAKEGRID & drag/drop multiple images from desktop

These are two features I use all the time.  Anyone else?

Brief explanation:  indesign has a MAKEGRID script that takes a frame object and divides it into multiple frames as specificed by the user (ie  rows x columns, gutter, etc.)    One can then drag multiple images from the desktop (or DAM eg Bridge)  and place them in each of the new frames as wanted.

Even in indesign thats a long way to do it.

Indesign allows you to drag in or place multiple files. But you can simply drag and click to place and use the arrow keys to create a grid. Then release the mouse to drop all in placed grid.

You also  toggle the distance between in the grid using alt arrow keys when placing.

In saying that - dragging and dropping images to a grid would be welcome addition.

Had to think about this.

Ok when you place multiple images on Affinity it gives you a Place panel (cant remember exact name).

Be cool if this had a grid option there to select if you want to place in a grid. You could then decide if you want 1 2 3 etc rows and columns.

And maybe even allow the shape to be anything from the shape tools. Or you could create a shape before or during the placing.

For example, you want to place 10 images in a single row in a frame shaped as a heart. Select all 10 images, choose 1 row and it would auto create 10 frames in shape of heart with the image.

Or you might select 10 images and decide on 2 rows and it makes 2 x 5 grid in the shape you want.

The advantage of MAKEGRID is that you can then work with the frames before adding the images. This is more flexible (although as you say slower).

Eg.  make a 4 x 6 grid of frames on a full page, then delete all the middle ones. Or a fine grid (say 10 x 20) with some "missing" bricks in the wall. Or change the sizes of certain frames in a unitary way...

I think they can make it better! InDesign's way is good, but not intuitive, and it's not easy to know off the bat. It's kinda a hidden secret. Which things shouldn't be.

I reckon the place panel being updated by affinity to allow the addtion of grid alignment would be great and an obvious way to place images as a grid.

Would also like the option to add captions via metadata, maybe the place panel could offer a space to insert a caption too before placing, which would add the metadata to the files?

I'd like to second this request. I am a fine artist and make "collage" poster prints of all the pieces in a series. The ability to place multiple images in a grid format would help me immensely. OR
Is there currently a way to adjust (specifically resize) multiple image frames at the same time?

• Staff

Hi Willbilly,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
To resize multiple picture frames select them all using the Move Tool then drag one of the corner handles. You may have to press ⇧ (shift) to keep the ratio of the multiple selection depending on the setting you have in Affinity Publisher Preferences, Tools section, Move Tool Aspect Constrain dropdown.

5 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi Willbilly,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
To resize multiple picture frames select them all using the Move Tool then drag one of the corner handles. You may have to press ⇧ (shift) to keep the ratio of the multiple selection depending on the setting you have in Affinity Publisher Preferences, Tools section, Move Tool Aspect Constrain dropdown.

Thank you for the welcome and loving the Affinity suite so far! (have Photo and Designer)!

Thank you for the explanation and I apologize, but what I meant to ask is: Is there a way to adjust the size of multiple picture frames so they are all equal size. In other words, is it possible to select multiple picture frames and input width and height adjustments? Although having typed this I just realized that an option would be to set guides, turn on snap, and place all the images to the guides and then they would all be equal size and free for me to adjust as needed using the corner handle (like you suggested)