You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• 1 year later...

click on Selection button on the context toolbar (there's also an option to convert it to a mask instead).

Found this post in a search, but I think I'm being a bit thick…. The Selection button isn't jumping out at me ?

I've created a path, I select the nodes in that path, can't find the next step to convert the path to a pixel area selection.

Is it in the tool bar down the left side or along the top ? Any clue what it looks like ? :-)

Ahhh, … got it now. Thanks for that. I think that could be made to lot more intuitive. I spent a good half hour on that.

Is it right that the path / curve then disappears from the layers once a selection is made ?, so can't be used / altered in the future ?

I second the request for a Paths pallet as a way of managing / retaining / selecting paths

Many thanks for your help Meb, that's brilliant.

I'll remember to make a duplicate. It seems it's more of a "convert path to selection" than "make a selection from path". Which would probably be more useful, especially if the selection area ever needs to be altered at a later date. :-)

• Staff

Here's a tip: if you press and hold ⌘ (cmd) while clicking on a layers's thumbnail in the Layers panel Affinity will create a selection from its content. So if you do this with a shape layer you can create a selection without converting the shape to a selection or even change to the Pen Tool. Note that if the shape doesn't have fill but only a stroke, that's the stroke area that will generate the selection.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a tip: if you press and hold ⌘ (cmd) while clicking on a layers's thumbnail in the Layers panel Affinity will create a selection from its content. So if you do this with a shape layer you can create a selection without converting the shape to a selection or even change to the Pen Tool. Note that if the shape doesn't have fill but only a stroke, that's the stroke area that will generate the selection.

Thanks MEB, that's really helpful, didn't know holding down ⌘ would do that for a filled shape (Curve). They can then be grouped together into a folder named paths and visibility switched off. In effect that's the same as Photoshop's Path panel  :).

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.