You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher Beta Layout

ballardstudio

Looks fine to me but, I have to say I'm a bit confused.

Could this design not have been achieved using AP? After all, it's just a picture with various fonts.

Please tell a Mr Don't Know what would be the primary difference?

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

• Staff

Hi AffinityJules,
Technically, yes you can create this in Affinity Photo but it would require more manual work. It's also a relatively simple example for a layout (no multiple pages/spreads etc). For example the text columns had to be set manually as well as the text itself since it doesn't flow from one text frame to another in Photo. Affinity Photo also doesn't support baseline grids to keep the text alignments consistent between text blocks.

On 9/2/2018 at 2:43 PM, AffinityJules said:

Looks fine to me but, I have to say I'm a bit confused.

Could this design not have been achieved using AP? After all, it's just a picture with various fonts.

Please tell a Mr Don't Know what would be the primary difference?

Yes, this could be produced with any layout tool and possibly a word processor, but it's a CMYK layout, produced with Affinity Publisher using various advanced functions and tested for embedded images, PDF output, offset and digital printing capabilities, OpenType compatibility, cross-platform translation between Mac and PC, ZIP file compression, cloud compression and bloat, file bloating, color correction, color accuracy, color profile accuracy, color conversion, and other details that advanced design directors, UI and UX designers, and prepress operators would look into when beta testing new software.

10 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi AffinityJules,
Technically, yes you can create this in Affinity Photo but it would require more manual work. It's also a relatively simple example for a layout (no multiple pages/spreads etc). For example the text columns had to be set manually as well as the text itself since it doesn't flow from one text frame to another in Photo. Affinity Photo also doesn't support baseline grids to keep the text alignments consistent between text blocks.

Well said MEB! I also did extensive testing on other back end processes (mentioned above).

Pretty thorough testing, ballardstudio. Did You run into any problems or interesting things? Would be great if You shared Your findings. Oh BTW: does Publisher support document linking for images? I managed to do my clients' print design in Designer until now, but the files tend to bloat towards epic sizes, megabyte-wise.

On 9/4/2018 at 11:14 AM, Rocketdrive said:

Pretty thorough testing, ballardstudio. Did You run into any problems or interesting things? Would be great if You shared Your findings. Oh BTW: does Publisher support document linking for images? I managed to do my clients' print design in Designer until now, but the files tend to bloat towards epic sizes, megabyte-wise.

Yes, it does Rocketdrive. You have to select the option though because by default Publisher embeds images as opposed to linking them. Otherwise, I didn't run into any functional issues so much. Just a known error when opening the Find menu. I'll post other issues on the boards if I run into anything.