marcdraco

Excess CPU when not receiving focus

I've noticed that Affinity is often gobbling up quite a bit of CPU even when it's the "current" app.

My everyday workhorse is an energy saving i3 with 4Gb RAM so sucking 25% or more of CPU time when it should be idle is a bit of a bind. Not being an Windows expert I'm unsure if there's anything that can be done about this. I may be thinking of Mac OSX (it's been a while) but isn't it possible to put a app into a "sleep" mode when it's not in focus - or in particular when it's covered by other windows? I design a lot of memes - they're rarely complex, but it means switching between a web browser and the Affinity window and I find that the browsers are fighting Affinity for a share of the limited CPU and memory. I guess there's not much we can do about memory but surely the CPU usage could be throttled?

My other machines have more than enough cores and memory to handle this but they also need a small power station to run so I tend to break them out as an when necessary.

I should also say (as this is my first post to the forum) that apart from having Affinity since it's first Mac release it's never ceased to amaze me! Well done chaps - this isn't so much a bug as a feature request!

Hi Mark, very good of you to get back to folks on a Saturday! Isn't it late in England?

Here's a typical shot from the CPU monitor (it's not astonishingly high but more than I would imagine) and the layers - these are usually grouped but I've expanded it. I often have five or more images open some with layers, others just screen grabs. I don't use live filters much (don't need to for this work) about the only layer effect I used is darken to make a effect like a highlighter pen.

I'm happy to help and update this later if I can identify an image that's causing this, although I wonder if this is more an Windows architectural problem than something "wrong" with Affinity? I'm just not used to seeing an app using so much CPU when it's not updating the display or doing background work.

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

Of course! Do you need all the documents or just the "front" one that's on screen right now a running Affinity so hard?

Also, where do I upload them.

EDIT: Oh that's curious - opening what I thought was the offending document did very little.

On 9/1/2018 at 9:11 PM, marcdraco said:

Of course! Do you need all the documents or just the "front" one that's on screen right now a running Affinity so hard?

Also, where do I upload them.

EDIT: Oh that's curious - opening what I thought was the offending document did very little.

I think it's something to do with the combination of documents.

Could be Mark - sorry for not getting back to you, the email must be going to spam. I've been unable to reliably replicate the problem though (so far).

Blasted nuisance but not the end of the world.

I have the same problem. Runs my fans 100%. I have a decent computer also ,i7, 16GB.

I think it only happens with two screens. Terrible problem actually. I need two screens.

6 hours ago, agiopnl said:

I have the same problem. Runs my fans 100%. I have a decent computer also ,i7, 16GB.

I think it only happens with two screens. Terrible problem actually. I need two screens.

Can you provide a video or sample files to help recreate this?

Video might work Mark - it's almost like there's a loose thread. (Threads are evil.)

Right now it's running normally - I've got seven canvases open with all sorts of stuff going on and it's in the background sat at 1.2%.

That's the problem I'm finding - it's proving nigh-on impossible to give you an image that creates the problem because it just seems to go "haywire" without any warning. I wonder if this is a Windows problem?

I noticed it went away once when I closed a canvas but when I re-opened the image it was as good as gold. Really quite annoying to pinpoint. I'm not a Windows programmer, so I'm guessing there isn't an API call to "sleep" an app when it loses focus? Although I understand that some people might have instances where they want a process to run for a while and do something else in the meantime.

Seems is when several tabs, documents are opened. In certain specific computers, not every machine.   I'm intrigued on the reasons behind it. Never happens in my old pile of cr4p.

I'd be very very curious to know is it happens (as randomly as it'd desire to be, doesn't matter, it'd end up happening) to your computer, if goes fans-crazy with only one, and just one file opened. One tab only. (two screens means anyway two documents opened, right ? (shared desktop))

Wish list :
[AP] Hiding the brush outline, as an option at preferences.

[AP] Little change (added option) to color picker (color selector) 
And...fixing certain lag in the brush at small features/start of lines, and also, jitter when zoomed-out ....pretty pluuuueaaaze ? :)
Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo licenses, Windows 7, i7 860 dinosaur 8 GB RAM, GTX 1050 2 GB, HD 7200 RPM.

I've almost always got more than one tab open but the weird thing is that I can close that tab and reopen the same file and the issue goes away. I'm convinced this is a runaway thread that Affinity has stopped using but only gets shut down when you close one of the tabs. Of course, that could be complete hooey as it's only a guess.