You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Baseline bug, when text size was greater than baseline

When I make the text size bigger than the baseline, Publisher works correct to set the line height to 2x baseline height. But after that in the same text block the line height keeps the same, even when I reduce the text size again. 

AffinitPublisher-BaselineProblem.png

Hi @MarcV,

Pull down the Text menu and check Show Special Characters:

1389604785_Screenshot2018-09-02at01_33_03.png.7251a07627fb559613b0c3905edabf18.pngI

This will help you to see the paragraph breaks.

I suspect you have an additional paragraph return between "weiter." and "Und so weiter".

You will either need to change the Space Before setting of the second run of small text back to the original,  or you may need to change the leading on these last two lines back to the original:

1627723392_Screenshot2018-09-02at01_40_40.png.b8952a5497fd8262df363f5521106661.png

Edited by h_d
Typos

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

17 hours ago, h_d said:

Hi @MarcV,

Pull down the Text menu and check Show Special Characters:

1389604785_Screenshot2018-09-02at01_33_03.png.7251a07627fb559613b0c3905edabf18.pngI

This will help you to see the paragraph breaks.

I suspect you have an additional paragraph return between "weiter." and "Und so weiter".

You will either need to change the Space Before setting of the second run of small text back to the original,  or you may need to change the leading on these last two lines back to the original:

1627723392_Screenshot2018-09-02at01_40_40.png.b8952a5497fd8262df363f5521106661.png

That was it, no bug. The problem is in front of the computer!

I don't know if a problem I am encountering is related to this.

I have created a text frame and entered logo text in a large font size. When I create a new text frame it defaults to the large font size. If I then reduce the font size for normal text entry the text is outside the new text frame (above the frame) and seems very hard to edit.

I am also experiencing the problem with the Opacity slider remaining on screen.

Screen Shot 2018-09-03 at 11.47.33 am.png

6 hours ago, Xcel said:

I am also experiencing the problem with the Opacity slider remaining on screen.

Everyone using the Mac beta is experiencing this problem with various popup sliders remaining on screen. The developers are aware of this & it should be fixed in the next beta version.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thanks R C-R but that is why I said that I was also experiencing the problem.

As to my basic issue I have realised that I had entered some text, the cel in the logo text, with a fairly large baseline shift. The new text frame defaulted to that baseline value so the text appeared out of the frame by that amount.

It might be useful if a new text frame defaulted to neutral values but I am now alert to the issue.

Baseline Grid has some issues:

At 100%, the baseline grid appears as expected. But there appears to be no present way to have different grid spacings in separate boxes. This presents a difficulty for captioning, for example. 
It is necessary to choose a somewhat bizarre grid spacing to try to accommodate the smaller adjacent type. See screenshot.

As yet no “Preview” mode to see your work without gridlines and guides?

349189214_ScreenShot2018-09-05at5_04_43pm.thumb.png.bd345e62593850e0d014cd7547955f9a.png

• Staff

@Old Man of the C

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) At the bottom of the Text Frame panel is an option to Use Baseline Grid, where the caption can abide to it's own independent rules not the document grid. Currently it is not possible to get a whole frame to ignore the document baseline grid without setting a frame override. (see Dave's correction below)

6 hours ago, Old Man of the C said:

As yet no “Preview” mode to see your work without gridlines and guides?

In the View menu is Hide All Guides (Ctrl+Shift+W toggle) Is this what you wanted?

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

2 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

Currently it is not possible to just ignore the document baseline grid without setting a frame override.

Although you can set paragraphs to ignore the grid. This may be convenient if you use a particular paragraph style for the captions.

Basically, I find these baseline grid options great, Dave. Global baseline grid, local baseline grid for text frames, as well as grid ignores for paragraphs. This gives a host of possibilities! :)

Nonetheless, I still have problems to understand the reasons why you associated the global grid with the snapping settings. That does not seem to make sense to me. Am I just stuck in traditional ways of thought? Hmm. :/

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/65785-baseline-grid-—-conceptual-issues/

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.