You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm working with a lot of text for a book so that I test this beta to suit my needs. I have found a great way to add a section break, for after the front matter for example. Right click on the page in the pages panel and select the option.

However, I haven't found a way to insert a page break where I may have only 1 or 2 lines on a page.

Any suggestions anyone? Affinity?

iMac: iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)  -   3.4 GHz Intel Core i5   -   8 GB 2400 MHz DDR4  -  Radeon Pro 560 4096 MB 

Windows: Nvidia GTX 960m 4k UHD 2gb ram video (Windows 10 Pro) -  Laptop screen (resolution 3840x2160 magnified 300%)

2nd Monitor: Phillips 226E9Q HD 1920 x 1080 (125%)

It doesn't work properly yet (or at least not how I'm used to page breaks working in other apps — namely that it stops at the insertion point and adds a new page that starts with the content that follows said insertion point), but Text > Insert > Page Break is probably the intention to have exactly the function you describe. 

[Clearly (being new to affinity) I'm missing something here. It looks like the different break option behaviors are modified or controlled by the Flow Options section in the Paragraphs panel? Even there it doesn't seem to set up the breaks or new pages in the way I'd expect, based on usage of other apps. Then again I don't use breaks very often in InDesign, more just standard column and text flow from page to page.]

21 minutes ago, Michael117 said:

Check the Paragraph tab for the Flow Options.  The bottom checkbox is used to control widow and orphan lines.  You can set the number of lines to protect.  The app should automatically insert the page break.

iMac: iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)  -   3.4 GHz Intel Core i5   -   8 GB 2400 MHz DDR4  -  Radeon Pro 560 4096 MB 

Windows: Nvidia GTX 960m 4k UHD 2gb ram video (Windows 10 Pro) -  Laptop screen (resolution 3840x2160 magnified 300%)

Thank you Michael and Cineman

The text, insert, page break option works best for me. However, it would be nice to be able to break the text flow links to certain pages. All it seems to do it leave a blank page and continue the same flow on the next page. Odd that.

6 hours ago, Martigny said:

Thank you Michael and Cineman

The text, insert, page break option works best for me. However, it would be nice to be able to break the text flow links to certain pages. All it seems to do it leave a blank page and continue the same flow on the next page. Odd that.

If you set up a new page, add a text container and set it to two columns, insert placeholder text, insert cursor at a certain point then use the page break setup above, does it split the page correctly and create a new one, or does it create no page and split only the column where the insertion point is?

6 hours ago, Cineman said:

If you set up a new page, add a text container and set it to two columns, insert placeholder text, insert cursor at a certain point then use the page break setup above, does it split the page correctly and create a new one, or does it create no page and split only the column where the insertion point is?

It creates no page and splits only the column where the insertion point is? Interestingly, if I insert a frame break the rest of the text disappears altogether! Are you going to report this or shall I?

:)

Having said that above ...

When I insert text into a column and spread it across multiple pages, frame and page breaks work perfectly.

9 hours ago, Martigny said:

It creates no page and splits only the column where the insertion point is? Interestingly, if I insert a frame break the rest of the text disappears altogether! Are you going to report this or shall I?

:)

I'll report it. Thought about doing so when i originally tested it but wasn't sure if it was user error or an actual bug. Thanks for confirming.

Here's the bug report. Worst case we find out it's working but the workflow is different than what we're used to / get some guidance from Affinity on how it's supposed to work.

You're welcome!