You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Guides Manager

Just a couple of ideas to add to my simple "me too!" above...

As far as I was able to find out during my InDesign trial, it allows you to setup a row-column grid with gutters within the page's margins. That's a powerful feature, but what seems even more flexible would be to not limit the grid setup just to the body, but to the area of the current selection. In my case, I needed a very particular grid for one small part of my page, but a comparatively loose (or even non-existent) grid for the rest of the page.

Not sure if other would find such a feature helpful. Might just be me who's just starting out in DTP. ;)

The guides manager is up for a major redesign. 

We were informed about that by the dev team some time ago on the Affinity Designer forum.

So rest assured this will not stay like that for long.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

• 2 weeks later...

It would be great to have precise control over creating guides and to have possibility to change their position ideally through the (numeric) keyboard. I personally use grids very often. Sometimes I need to lock them, copy and past to another page, select and change position, (change color), multi-duplicate some guide with defined distance. Here are some examples of grid layouts (first – more structured book, second – magazine). Guide manager is fine in some situations, but it’s not pleasant for quick adjustments. Opening dialogue window and changing some positions is time consuming process. Also, doing it visually is not good and precise way...  Anyway I admire your work.

Snímek obrazovky 2018-09-11 v 20.54.33.png

Snímek obrazovky 2018-09-11 v 20.56.37.png

Suggestions for Guides and the Guides Manager...

1) PLEASE let us re-order guides from Left to Right and from Top to Bottom

2) Allowing the User to specify Color (and possibly Opacity) for guides would allow them to be grouped by user-defined purpose

3) Allow Guides to be placed Behind or In Front of visible page items.

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

• 1 year later...

Can someone tell me what the best way to set up a grid between the printing margins is? All I can see is grids covering the whole page which means that achieving symmetry is painstakingly more difficult than it should be.. Any advice? This would also be a really cool development for the next update.

Hey Garry. Thanks so much for your help I found what I was looking for by going to View - Guides manager. There I was able to adjust columns and rows within margin area. View - Show Column Rulers helps to turn on and off the function. 

I wanted to know what your thoughts were on changing formats mid process of working a file? My experience is it causes Affinity to glitch and get confused. Can you make columns and rows within certain areas? This would allow more flexibility in creating complex designs.

2 hours ago, Lorentz said:

Hey Garry. Thanks so much for your help I found what I was looking for by going to View - Guides manager. There I was able to adjust columns and rows within margin area. View - Show Column Rulers helps to turn on and off the function. 

I wanted to know what your thoughts were on changing formats mid process of working a file? My experience is it causes Affinity to glitch and get confused. Can you make columns and rows within certain areas? This would allow more flexibility in creating complex designs.

You could use different Master Pages.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.