You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer - Reset Selection Box

Hi.

I have a question about Reset Selection Box. When i click on the object and shear it and then click Reset Selection Box, the Bounding box of that object is upright. Then when i click out of that object, and click again on that object, the bounding box of that object return to the first position. Is it normal behaviour?

Regards

Simon

Yes, it is normal behavior. The reset is temporary.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

10 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Yes, it is normal behavior. The reset is temporary.

But it can be made permanent by creating a rectangle larger than your object, place it on top your object so it fully covers it then select both objects in the layers panel and hit the Intersect button

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• 1 month later...
On 9/2/2018 at 2:15 AM, carl123 said:

But it can be made permanent by creating a rectangle larger than your object, place it on top your object so it fully covers it then select both objects in the layers panel and hit the Intersect button

How convenient! Why wouldn't a permanent rotation be the default?

Edit: One issue with this method is that it appears to close open lines!

41 minutes ago, bpedit said:

Why wouldn't a permanent rotation be the default?

The selection box (or bounding box) fits exactly around the shape. It also controls things like rotation and shear when you drag the handles.

If it no longer fits the shape (i.e. set to the page boundaries by resetting) things like shear would no longer work correctly.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

On 9/2/2018 at 10:15 AM, carl123 said:

Where is the Intersect button?

If voting made any difference it wouldn't be allowed!

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Truth does not need to be protected only lies do.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

10 minutes ago, jackamus said:

Where is the Intersect button?

On the main toolbar: intersewct.jpg.4834a0b3d78989498ad56da48e04715f.jpg

It is also available from the Layer > Geometry menu item.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Of course! I tend to think of those as 'Adding' and 'Subtracting' shapes. :$

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

16 hours ago, toltec said:

The selection box (or bounding box) fits exactly around the shape. It also controls things like rotation and shear when you drag the handles. If it no longer fits the shape (i.e. set to the page boundaries by resetting) things like shear would no longer work correctly.

This make no sense to me, at least for my use. "Correctly" must be in the eye of the beholder. The reset boundry box still fits "exactly around the shape" unless you're speaking to the simple case of rotating a rectangle versus a vector drawing. Even then the fit is exact although not orthagonal.

• 8 months later...

I think that a permanent reset bounding box option is essential for anyone using Affinity Designer. Based on my prior experience with Adobe Illustrator, a permanent reset bounding box is a valuable tool for an efficient workflow. It's convenient to have the option of a non-permanent reset bounding box for vector shapes that need it, but most of the time we NEED a permanent reset bounding box. 

15 hours ago, Fun Art Sam said:

I think that a permanent reset bounding box option is essential for anyone using Affinity Designer.

You are responding to a topic started back in September of 2018, before the 1.7.x version was released. Among the improvements included in that version is the ability to cycle the selection box. From the Move Tool help topic:

1773526580_cyclebox.jpg.37678e3772ccdd7896129f4b6799c666.jpg

The default selection box is now the Base box, so you no longer need to use any workarounds like intersecting the shape with a larger rectangle to get a selection box that honors rotations, shears, etc. The Transform panel values adjust to match the selection box type as well. Combined with the Transform Origin, the Transform Objects Separately, & the several other options now available on the context toolbar (including those for the Node tool), there are quite a few new transformations based on selection box options to explore.

Affinity Photo 

35 minutes ago, R C-R said:

You are responding to a topic started back in September of 2018, before the 1.7.x version was released. Among the improvements included in that version is the ability to cycle the selection box. From the Move Tool help topic:

The default selection box is now the Base box, so you no longer need to use any workarounds like intersecting the shape with a larger rectangle to get a selection box that honors rotations, shears, etc. The Transform panel values adjust to match the selection box type as well. Combined with the Transform Origin, the Transform Objects Separately, & the several other options now available on the context toolbar (including those for the Node tool), there are quite a few new transformations based on selection box options to explore.

Either I'm not understanding what you wrote, or it's not really working that way. But as I recall, the workarounds were to permanently change the orientation of the selection box, e.g., so one could rotate an object or flip the object, and then convert it to a Text Frame where the text was not rotated or flipped.

Here's a rotated rectangle, where the selection box is the Base Box:

image.png.d4af28d7dea78d5eb320460949795db9.png

Here it is with the selection box cycled to Regular Bounds:

image.png.1be5580ba93b343b299b30011490672f.png

If I click outside the object, and then click on the object again,  the selection box has been reset to Base Box:

image.png.ae214d6fd4af2133fe031b9c91b7bb99.png

Thus, it is not a permanent reset.

And more importantly (for me) if that rotated rectangle is converted to a Text Frame the text inside it is rotated, too.

Have I misunderstood something?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

36 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

If I click outside the object, and then click on the object again,  the selection box has been reset to Base Box:
{...}
Thus, it is not a permanent reset.

Yes, it is not a permanent reset, but as I said (& you confirmed), the Base box is now the default.

IIRC, in earlier versions, the 'regular' upright selection bounding box was the default. Users complained that having to use the old "Reset Selection Box" button to temporarily get what is now called the Base box created an extra step (because they wanted the selection box to honor rotations, shears, etc. without having to click any button or use the rectangle intersect workaround to make it permanent), so it was changed to the Cycle Selection Box, with the Base box as the default.

It is just a way to provide what users asked for, without having to make anything permanent or add yet another preference to the apps.

And more importantly (for me) if that rotated rectangle is converted to a Text Frame the text inside it is rotated, too.

Are you suggesting that is somehow problematic now or something else?

Affinity Photo 

4 hours ago, R C-R said:

Are you suggesting that is somehow problematic now or something else?

No. To me, it is unchanged from what it was before. You said:

4 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

you no longer need to use any workarounds like intersecting the shape with a larger rectangle to get a selection box that honors rotations, shears, etc.

but as I see it those workarounds are still necessary, for all the cases where I ever used it. So I don't see the "enhanced" cycle selection button as actually having improved anything. I don't think it made my workflow any worse, but it also didn't help it in any way that I've seen yet.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

• 2 months later...
On 7/11/2019 at 6:47 AM, R C-R said:

Thanks for your help, but I would still like a permanent reset selection box because otherwise I'll keep having to remember to reset the box every time I edit an object. If the reset selection box was permanent then I wouldn't have to keep on manually cycling the selection box to 'regular bounds' every time I want to edit an object. 

I agree completely with this suggestion. I often drag a copy of an object and then transform it so the Height and Width get interchanged.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

• 1 year later...

So, we have 2021 and I do have a particular problem. I have a shape that is rectangle, cut 45 degrees on the bottom. I need to fill it with text.

Sadly designer thinks that bottom is on the top. "Cycle selection box" is temporary so it does nothing for me. Text is being placed upside down. Is there a way to correct it other then intersecting with bigger object? (which thankfully works)? If not - can you think about making possible to "confirm" "cycle selection box" and making it permanent? That would be fantastic.

Screenshot 2021-01-28 211706.jpg

I made a suggestion a long time ago that when selecting the ;Cycle selection box' we have the choice of making it permanent but according to the developers it was possible. Mt problem is that, for convenience of drawing, I drag a copy of a 'horizontal' rectangle to change into a 'vertical' rectangle but the height and width still follow the original horizontal rectangle. It gets worse when it is almost a square that you edit.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

12 hours ago, nezumi said:

Sadly designer thinks that bottom is on the top. "Cycle selection box" is temporary so it does nothing for me. Text is being placed upside down. Is there a way to correct it other then intersecting with bigger object? (which thankfully works)? If not - can you think about making possible to "confirm" "cycle selection box" and making it permanent? That would be fantastic.

I draw the item, rotate it and then choose the boolean Add and it is set so the 'rotated' top is now the 'actual' top.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

17 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

I draw the item, rotate it and then choose the boolean Add and it is set so the 'rotated' top is now the 'actual' top.

Yes, that is the best approach we have right now, I think. It does have one side effect that may be undesirable, though. It also converts the object to Curves.

-- Walt
PC:

It would be much easier if the 'Cycle selection box' could be permanently selected!

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Just now, nezumi said:

Clearly there is quite a few reasons to change what we have now. I dont see any to leave it as it is. I dont know about others but I have never found actual use for current behavior...

I may want the original orientation preserved for later use so I have gotten into the habit of making a duplicate and working with that.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.