You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I am in the midst of creating a multi-page test document and I am stumped trying to find a paragraph rules option.

Is such an option available in the Beta? If so, where can I find it? Otherwise I really do hope it will be included in a future update.

11 minutes ago, Hank_Scorpio said:

I think decorations is a terrible name for it though! 

I'm inclined to agree. The word 'decorations' suggests something like fleurons.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

OMG!! I spent ages looking for it last night – and did come across it, but I think "Combine identical" was ticked and it didn't work the way I expected and thus dismissed it.

Finally got it working now (through the Paragraph tab) but I completely agree that "Decorations" is the most confusing and abysmal name to call it. That said, now that I've found it, I do like its functionality – even though I hate its name. 

Screen Shot 2018-09-01 at 14.35.28.jpg

7 minutes ago, EddCh said:

I do like its functionality – even though I hate its name

I don't see why it couldn't simply be called 'Paragraph Rules'. It's not as if the average user would think that was something to do with laying down the law about how paragraphs should behave!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

If you want "decorations" name to be more suitable, then add decorative frames.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

• 9 months later...
On 9/1/2018 at 9:40 AM, EddCh said:

OMG!! I spent ages looking for it last night – and did come across it, but I think "Combine identical" was ticked and it didn't work the way I expected and thus dismissed it.

Finally got it working now (through the Paragraph tab) but I completely agree that "Decorations" is the most confusing and abysmal name to call it. That said, now that I've found it, I do like its functionality – even though I hate its name. 

Screen Shot 2018-09-01 at 14.35.28.jpg

Decorations? Decorations? Agreed that is simply an awful name! One of the first things that I teach my students is that graphic design is about good typography, good colour and good composition. It is NOT about "decorating" the page. Never "decorate" the page.

On 9/2/2018 at 12:03 AM, Seneca said:

I think Decorations describe exactly what this is. I wouldn't change it, unless a more apt term was found.

I think terms like "Paragraph Rules" where it relates to paragraphs, "Frame Rules" where it relates to frames, "Paragraph Shading" for highlighting a specific paragraph make far more sense. The term "decoration"  should not even be in the same sentence as graphic design. We are professionals, we don't decorate anything. (just my two cents)

Regardless, I'm glad it's in there, I too had to hunt for it.

BTW, I'm still looking for a paragraph shading feature, I expect that it's there somewhere, just named something different.

Edited by Bilbo Bowman
Addition.

Not being a native speaker, I didn't find the features in InDesign when I first started using it, because I expected "Rules" to include settings on how to handle a paragraph (keep lines together, start in new frame and such) and was not sure at all what they meant with "Shading" (I expected some shadow related features).

In Affinity, I found the decorations easily and therefore prefer this term. It could be a bit more toned down (Markups? Accolades? Markers? Accentuations?), but generelly I prefer it to Rules and Shading.

To answer your question, Bilbo Bowman, the background colouring you are looking for is activated by clicking the fifth (last) button in the decorations panel (the first four buttons are for rules / lines on the four sides of the paragraph, the last button makes a ,fill colour' selector pop up further down in the dialogue).

screenshot.jpg

"Paragraph Rules and Background"

BTW, fifth button (Fill) should be near to fill color IMO.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

"Decorations" come from web technology and CSS. Dunno how it got there. Probably engineers thought all these are superfluous. 

Paragraph Rules and Background (or Fill) would be OK. (Though I find it quite fiddly to have rules and bg colour adjustments in the same UI.)

8 hours ago, Jens Krebs said:

Not being a native speaker, I didn't find the features in InDesign when I first started using it, because I expected "Rules" to include settings on how to handle a paragraph (keep lines together, start in new frame and such)

I am a native speaker, and I too had the same misunderstanding. I thought it might even have some kind of conditional formatting (that would be great!).

I am happy to just learn the terminology of a given application as long as it is fairly reasonable. "Decorations" is perhaps not the best, but it does get my curiosity enough to see what it's about, and then once I do, I know what I can expect of it and how to find it again later.

If I were naming it, I would have called it "Borders and Shading," because that is precisely what it is. On the other hand, maybe Serif has additional features planned for the section, where a more broad term like "Decorations" will eventually make sense. Or maybe they just named it poorly the first time and now they will have to add new features to it as though to say, "See, we named it right after all." I'm okay with that. :P

13 minutes ago, garrettm30 said:

If I were naming it, I would have called it "Borders and Shading," because that is precisely what it is.

It could be addressed to text frames or any other object, too.

31 minutes ago, garrettm30 said:

On the other hand, maybe Serif has additional features planned for the section, where a more broad term like "Decorations" will eventually make sense.

This is exactly what I think is the reason for this naming. 'Decorations' leaves the path open to all kinds of graphic elements e.g. brush strokes, images and fancy corners :)

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

I can’t help but think that this argument is similar to the “do you like the new icons?” argument. It’s just a name, and we’ll all get used to it. One other thing - before early 2015, how many of us knew what “inpainting” meant?

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

and (in AP) why is "Affine" not called "Offset", why is "Perlin Noise" not called "Clouds" and …
Don't know, don't care, as long as it works!!! :D

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

I don't mind the name (other terms like "leading" will be confusing to most people unfamiliar with the use of lead in old-fashioned typesetting tecniques). But I love the flexibility and created my own paragraph style for Fact boxes.

Fact Box.PNG

Faktaboks.PNG

Lenovo laptop with Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home. Former user of most Serif software from PagePlus 3.0 through PagePlus X9, now enjoying Affinity Designer, Photo, and Publisher.