You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Apply Master Pages to other Master Pages

Please consider the option to apply Master Pages not only to document pages, but also to other Master Pages.

Use case: Create one Master Page A with the most basic elements for the whole document, then create other Master Pages B, C, D based on A with layout variants for certain pages.

1 minute ago, Dave Harris said:

Are you are that you can apply several master pages to one document page?

I would suspect the OP is aware of this--but maybe not. Being able to apply different master pages versus basing a master page upon another in order to include further elements is different, though.

Being able to base master pages upon another master page is akin to basing one p.style upon another with their ability to cascade changes.

That said, functionally it is not much different once applied to relevant pages.

duplicate.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

6 minutes ago, Dave Harris said:

Are you are that you can apply several master pages to one document page?

Yes. Just do Apply Master and uncheck "Replace Exsiting" and you then have multiple master pages applied to the same document page.

However, you can't apply a master to another master.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

"walt.farrell", I think "grin" and "MikeW" have something else in mind. For example, I edit a magazine with the same page header on 90% of pages. A part of the page header changes from issue to issue. In InDesign I use a main master page with the page header that many other master pages are based on. Every change of the page header on the main master page propagates to other master pages automatically. In Publisher the same change has to be done on every master page separately. This is an uncomfortable solution and error-prone.

1 minute ago, Fierys said:

"walt.farrell", I think "grin" and "MikeW" have something else in mind. For example, I edit a magazine with the same page header on 90% of pages. A part of the page header changes from issue to issue. In InDesign I use a main master page with the page header that many other master pages are based on. Every change of the page header on the main master page propagates to other master pages automatically. In Publisher the same change has to be done on every master page separately. This is an uncomfortable solution and error-prone.

I know. I was responding to Dave Harris's point, but initially neglected to quote him.

-- Walt
PC: