You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer: Issue with color fill on joined object, curve

Can someone explain what I've done wrong here?

This file simply has a solid color rectangle as a background with two curves on top. Why does the top curve have this odd issue where white angels surround part of it?

Just for some clarity -- I originally had a seperate file with a line drawn mountain/cityscape. I wanted to perform a color fill above the line, and another below the line, with the line on top. I drew a new line from one end of this line all the way around the bottom of the canvas connecting back to the beginning so I would have a completely connected shape. I then joined all the nodes so that I could fill it. Once I filled this shape I had all sorts of odd white angles around the original line. I decided to try to fix this by drawing a new shape over the first complete shape, this time with a stroke of zero. I then filled that and it worked correctly. But I wanted the original thick line drawing to be on top, so I brought its layer back up and the problem came back, even though I had removed its fill, and even though I was only bringing the original line up, not the complete shape.

I then opened a new project and dragged my curve from the other project in -- that's the strange one here, the other I drew in directly. Is this a bug or am I doing this completely wrong?

I've also attached the file with the original issue I was having.

Thanks in advance.

Solid Color Issue.afdesign

Original fill issue.afdesign

Hello Nathan Shirley,

If I understood correctly you want to add a color under a line (the horizon in this case).

Your "horizon" is composed of several lines, it would be better if it were made of only one.

Once your line is drawn, copy it for later use. Click with the "Pen" tool on the bottom node of the line from the left side down then add a node in its extension, then another one vertically from the node located at the right end of the line. Then click on the top terminal node to get a closed shape. 

Give a filling color to this shape and remove the color from its outline.

To finish pasting the line you copied at the beginning.

I hope this can help you.

Couleur sous trait.png

Thanks very much, yes this is what I was trying to do. Copying the line initially makes sense.

I must be connecting the nodes incorrectly however, because when I do this the fill is still messed up (like in my first example). Also if I try to add a curve to some of the line's nodes, they don't move, but others adjust as expected.

Ah I see, if I first tell it to "close curves" and then "join curves," it works.

Some of the nodes still don't want to have "corners" applied to them. I'm sure I must still be doing something wrong here.

Thanks for the help.

Thanks for the feedback.
Starting from your drawing made of several lines and the brown shape, ungroup all the lines that form the horizon and "Join curves" and put the filling on none, you will no longer have white parts.
The circle shows a place where two lines did not meet, maybe that's where you were having a corner problem.

Couleur sous trait_2.png