I use "Step and Repeat" all the time in InDesign as well. I think this is my number 1 request. Hope that feature shows up. In the mean time, experimenting with align and distribute, but I don't find that nearly as easy.

I agree. Step and Repeat is essential. I am working on a business card design for myself and I don't want to have to do the duplicate (or power duplicate thing). I'd like to be able to specify how many copies and the placement of those copies. Please and Thank you!!!

Hi,

Quark's "Step & Repeat" misses creating grid of objects like InDesign. So it will be perfect if we can get a combination of those two.

Windows 10 x64 Pro
Dell Inspiron 7559 i7
Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M )
16GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600MHz (8GBx2)
1TB HDD + 128 GB SSD Hard drive
UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED- Backlit Touch Display
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4GB GDDR5

Would be cool, if it was as complex as Illustrator's: they solved it by using transform-effects which can be applied multiple times with different values.

For example, making a notepad-grid:

1. make a tiny rectangle (0,5pt x 0,5pt)
  2. add effect "transform"(x-offset: 5mm, with 39 copies)
  3. add 2nd transform on top(y-offset: 5mm, with 56 copies)
  4. voilá you have a A4-sheet full of perfectly spaced out half-centimetre-dots
  5. special: adding rotation 1° distorts this to an interesting pattern

This would be a powerful feature! At least add it to Designer!

Bildschirmfoto 2018-09-06 um 18.01.05.png

Bildschirmfoto 2018-09-06 um 18.02.07.png

• Production-System: iMac (21,5-inch, Late 2013), 16GB RAM, 2TB nvme-SSD, running on 10.14.5 Mojave;
  • Display Setup: 27" Thunderbolt Display primary + 21,5" iMac-Display secondary for palettes;
  • Keyboard-Layout: German apple extended keyboard (aluminum);

@woefi I tried to recreate your second pattern with power duplicate but there were several obstacles:

1. I could not find a way to set a polar offset. After duplicating and rotating, typing a value for x position just moves it along global x axis and not local. Alignment handles can be dragged along angle of rotation, but it's totally imprecise. I'm not sure if any of the math expressions would be able to accomplish this. Sine function? I'm bad at math.
  2. Trying to work around this I created a temporary grid and constrained drag 5mm away. The problem is that this is not precise and the transform panel coordinates are still in the global coordinate system.
  3. Then I had the idea to duplicate & move the dot without rotating first, group them & rotate it, snap it so that the first duplicated dot was exactly on top of the original first dot. The duplicated second dot was then in the correct position, so I deleted the other dots, duplicated the original dot again, rotated it & snapped it to the second dot that was already in place. Now I could power duplicate to repeat the rotation & offset.
  4. Then I tried to group the first row of 39 dots and repeat the procedure, but the result was not as desired.

At this point I give up in my personal challenge. It's a contrived example, so I don't know how much it really matters. I think a non-destructive transform effect would be nice to have though.

Screen Shot 2018-09-06 at 18.56.28.png

Complete Affinity suite; Mac 10.9; kbd & mouse; casual user since 2014.

2 hours ago, hawk said:

@woefi I tried to recreate your second pattern with power duplicate but there were several obstacles:

I think a non-destructive transform effect would be nice to have though.

Well, I did not expect somebody to do the (obviously big) effort in replicating this feature. @hawkThank you for this proof of concept! :11_blush:

Now, I've experimented a little bit with power duplicate and it's "nice". But I hope there is nothing legal (re adobe) preventing Affinity in implementing such a system of nested transform-functions like in illustrator. I wonder why PowerDupli is available in Publisher, but nothing similar is in Designer...  :35_thinking: I wouldn't mind if it's even a better approach than adobe's – maybe live updating/modelling...

• Production-System: iMac (21,5-inch, Late 2013), 16GB RAM, 2TB nvme-SSD, running on 10.14.5 Mojave;
  • Display Setup: 27" Thunderbolt Display primary + 21,5" iMac-Display secondary for palettes;
  • Keyboard-Layout: German apple extended keyboard (aluminum);

4 minutes ago, GeoffM33 said:

Yes, this is essential. Especially with the 'grid' function as in InDesign.

P.S. I refer to the step & repeat topic rather than more complex functions. (I'm still not sure how these forums work and how replies relate to previous messages.)

On 9/6/2018 at 4:24 PM, woefi said:

I wonder why PowerDupli is available in Publisher, but nothing similar is in Designer

Power Duplicate is a feature of all 3 Affinity applications.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.356), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.7.3.475 Beta

Step and Repeat is essential in any page layout and/or Publishing program. Throughout my career, Quark and InDesign have been the staples of my work. However, the cost (particularly with Adobe) is starting to become a burden. I have done some sample work with Publisher and find it capable of fulfilling my page layout needs with some limitations. Good start...