You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Story editor - mandatory

Oh, there's no story editor. That's a bummer!

Yes to a story editor - focused, isolated editing of text and easy overview of formatting and styles and easy corrections. It's an indispensable feature in complex or large documents, newspapers or anything else.

Someone suggested a text persona. That's a damn good idea.

Barry

On 9/1/2018 at 11:45 AM, Fixx said:

Story editor was mandatory when computers were so slow that editing text in layout was not practical. Nowadays editing layout text is no problem.

I completely disagree with that! It is utterly counterfactual. Such a black and white statement can only come from someone who doesn't know about other people's use of programs like this.

Unfortunately, I see a lot of statements about the handling of text and story editor functions in here that unfortunately clearly show a lack of industry knowledge - both in breadth and dept. This makes it incredibly difficult to have a professional dialog in here, which can be seen in how many threads end up in bickering, and it will, all other things being equal, harm the development of Affinity.

If you don't understand what a story editor is used for by others, and that there are customers who need one, then I recommend that you step aside and let these customers explain their needs and wishes so that they and Serif can find a solution.

Barry

I must agree that a story editor would be very handy. Apart from anything else, there are times when it is just so much easier and quicker to look at and edit a single block of text, rather than jumping from text box to text box or page to page!

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

6 hours ago, PaulEC said:

I must agree that a story editor would be very handy. Apart from anything else, there are times when it is just so much easier and quicker to look at and edit a single block of text, rather than jumping from text box to text box or page to page!

My methodology is to use linked frames to group stories. The text and initial proofing is done in Word or Google Docs. 

3 hours ago, Catshill said:

My methodology is to use linked frames to group stories. The text and initial proofing is done in Word or Google Docs. 

Personally I use LibreOffice initially, but that doesn't really help with any later editing and proofing after the layout and formatting has been done in APub. As I said, I think having a story editor, so all the text is in one "block",  just makes later checking and editing easier than scrolling through linked frames!

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

Now the talk goes back to the lighter usage scenarios, but I'm thinking of a story editor for the heavier ones. Think more complex documents, think workplaces, think larger productions of all kinds.

A story editor is not a word processor. It's a text customization functionality for the process that follows once a layouter has the texts. Of course, most texts, especially larger ones, will start their life in a word processor, but there is so much more work to be done in programs like InDesign, where adapting and troubleshooting the text is clumsy and time-consuming in layout mode, and where a story editor is the professional, focused work tool.

The light usage scenarios are well supported in Publisher 2.1 - I look forward to more for the professionals. For example, cross references are sorely missed and finally within reach.

SO glad some people have work-arounds that work for them. Please consider (for example) a professional magazine with a feature article that runs a little long on pages 11-13 and then there's some text continued on page 85.

Figuring out where to break the text on each page of a larger document, making sure that it's not awkward or hyphenated when possible, etc. is all part of the job of layout, and it can't be done in Word or Google Docs.  

Now, a late correction from a fact-check or by-line came in, so everything reflows. How are you looking at page 13 and 85 at the same time to look at how to re-split this article and fit it on the required pages. And the deadline is in under 1 hour to get it to press. Your boss is breathing down your neck. Either you — or the app you're using — are the bottleneck.

Are you going to put it back into Word or Google Docs and then bring it back into Publisher, now the story re-flows, you have to apply style sheets again, check the run-around for pull-quotes, add column and page breaks all over, check for hyphenation problems — basically re-do all the work you've already put in all over again (and have it proofed & approved by someone else). Or can you open it up in Story mode, add the needed text, make the corrections, and then check how it's rendered on the 4 pages in question and make tweaks for the final flow so you can get this document out to press…

And this is a realistic situation.

• 5 months later...

For amateur DTP (Desktop Publishing) users who might not see the value of a story editor, it's essential to understand the distinct advantages this tool offers, particularly for professional layout designers and editors. Here's a detailed explanation:

Focused Text Editing: A story editor provides a distraction-free environment for editing text. Unlike WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) interfaces, which present the layout and text simultaneously, a story editor isolates the text. This isolation is crucial for editors and layout designers who need to concentrate on the textual content without the distraction of layout elements. It allows for a deeper focus on language, grammar, and consistency.

Efficiency in Handling Multiple Text Sources: In publications like newspapers or magazines, texts come from various authors. Each author has their style and tone, which might not always align with the publication's style. A story editor allows editors to seamlessly integrate these varying styles into a uniform voice that fits the publication's standards. This task would be cumbersome and less efficient if done directly in a WYSIWYG layout program.

Advanced Text Manipulation Features: Story editors often have advanced features that are not available or are less accessible in standard text processors. These include tracking changes, version control, detailed find-and-replace functions, comments and annotations, and more sophisticated typography controls. These features are indispensable for professional editing.

Speed and Performance: Working with text in a story editor is generally faster than in a layout program. Layout programs are heavier and more resource-intensive because they have to render graphics, images, and various layout elements in real time. For large documents, this can lead to slower performance. In contrast, story editors are more lightweight and responsive, making them better suited for editing large amounts of text.

Precision in Text Layout: For publications that require a high level of precision in text layout (like technical or academic papers), story editors provide more control. This precision might include specific requirements for line breaks, spacing, indentation, and text alignment that are easier to manage in a text-centric environment.

Better Integration with Publishing Workflows: Professional publishing often involves a workflow where different stages (writing, editing, design) are clearly delineated. Story editors fit well into this workflow, providing a dedicated tool for the editing stage, which streamlines the overall process and ensures that each phase is completed with the appropriate tools and focus.

Enhanced Control Over Typography and Layout Elements: Story editors typically offer more nuanced control over typography than standard text editors or WYSIWYG layout programs. This control includes the adjustment of headings, bullet point styles, table formats, line spacing, and indentations. These typographic adjustments are crucial for ensuring that the document adheres to the desired style guide or publication standards.

Clear Identification and Correction of Formatting Errors: In a story editor, the typographic elements of a document are more prominently displayed and easier to navigate. This clarity allows editors to quickly identify and correct formatting errors. For instance, inconsistencies in heading levels or bullet point styles are more apparent, and editors can make adjustments without the distractions of other layout elements.

Streamlined Layout Adjustments: Story editors allow for streamlined adjustments to the layout elements of a text. This feature is particularly useful when dealing with complex documents that include multiple heading levels, lists, tables, and other structured elements. Editors can adjust these elements in a focused environment, ensuring that they meet the required standards before the text is moved to the layout phase.

Precision in Structured Content: Tables, lists, and other structured content often require precise alignment and formatting. Story editors provide the tools necessary to fine-tune these elements, ensuring that they are correctly formatted and visually appealing. This precision is especially important for publications that rely heavily on structured data, such as scientific reports, academic journals, or technical manuals.

Facilitates Consistency Across the Document: Maintaining consistency in the use of typographic elements across a document is essential for professional publications. Story editors make it easier to apply uniform styles for headings, subheadings, bullet points, and other text elements. This consistency enhances the readability and professional appearance of the final publication.

Error Detection and Resolution in a Focused Environment: Working in a story editor allows editors to focus solely on the textual and typographic aspects of a document, free from the distractions of full-page layouts. This focused environment is conducive to detecting and resolving errors, ensuring that the text is error-free and well-structured before it is integrated into the final layout.

In summary, while WYSIWYG programs and text processors are valuable tools, they cannot fully replace the functionality and efficiency offered by a dedicated story editor in a professional publishing environment. A story editor is tailored for the specific needs of text editing and preparation before layout, making it an essential tool in the arsenal of professional editors and layout designers.

Experienced Quality Assurance Manager - I strive for excellence in complex professional illustrations through efficient workflows in modern applications, supporting me in achieving my and my colleagues' goals through the most achievable usability and contemporary, easy-to-use user interfaces.

+1 for the story editor
Isolated text editing without interruption from page layout mode, easy review and corrections. Invaluable in a desktop publishing program.
4+ years after the first version was released and still nothing. Once again I am very disappointed with your priority list dear Affinity Team😟