You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Resource Manager Does Not Highlight the Asset Selected

If I select an image within a document, then go to the Resource Manager, that item is not pre-selected within Resource Manager. Thus I have to search through dozens of items in a normal document to try to locate the one I need to work with.

Very used to ID, etc. where when you select an item, the "link" is highlighted in the panel/list, thus allowing you to relink, update, etc.

As part of this, would think it would be much handier to have this Resource Manager as a panel that can be added to the sidebars since it gets used a lot in building, modifying and working with media-rich documents. We routinely modify linked items and need to update them within a document. Never done as a mass process, but done as items are moved, placed, changed, etc., so would be much preferred to have it in a readily available pane within Studio just like Paragraph, Character, etc.. 

Thanks.

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Sonoma
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Sonoma
iPad Air 2022

12 hours ago, nwhit said:

As part of this, would think it would be much handier to have this Resource Manager as a panel that can be added to the sidebars since it gets used a lot in building, modifying and working with media-rich documents.

I think the Resource Manager is implemented as a separate application window so that it can be enlarged to any size that will fit on the screen. (It is also 'session sticky' in that it remembers the window size for as long as the app is open, but currently resets to the default size when the app is quit & then relaunched). If it was implemented as a Studio panel, it might be less practical to enlarge it very much & the MacOS window option to enlarge it to the maximum available size (by clicking on the green 'traffic light' window button) would not be available.

What might work for those who use it often is to assign a custom keyboard shortcut to it (like maybe Shift+R) so it can be opened very quickly without having to go to the Document menu. Unfortunately, that is not a toggle function, so you would still need to click the red 'traffic light' window icon to close it.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

15 hours ago, nwhit said:

If I select an image within a document, then go to the Resource Manager, that item is not pre-selected within Resource Manager. Thus I have to search through dozens of items in a normal document to try to locate the one I need to work with.

Very used to ID, etc. where when you select an item, the "link" is highlighted in the panel/list, thus allowing you to relink, update, etc.

As part of this, would think it would be much handier to have this Resource Manager as a panel that can be added to the sidebars since it gets used a lot in building, modifying and working with media-rich documents. We routinely modify linked items and need to update them within a document. Never done as a mass process, but done as items are moved, placed, changed, etc., so would be much preferred to have it in a readily available pane within Studio just like Paragraph, Character, etc.. 

Thanks.

I agree 100%. 

2 hours ago, R C-R said:

If it was implemented as a Studio panel, it might be less practical to enlarge it very much & the MacOS window option to enlarge it to the maximum available size (by clicking on the green 'traffic light' window button) would not be available.

I can’t see why a studio panel couldn’t be separated from the Studio panels as a separate floating window just as the other panels can be. I’d be happy if it had a more condensed layout too so that when you end up with hundreds of links it keeps the window size down and reduces scrolling. 

37 minutes ago, robinp said:

I can’t see why a studio panel couldn’t be separated from the Studio panels as a separate floating window just as the other panels can be.

It could be but Studio panels can't support the standard Mac OS 'traffic light' window controls, so maybe that is why they decided to go with a separate window?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

27 minutes ago, R C-R said:

It could be but Studio panels can't support the standard Mac OS 'traffic light' window controls, so maybe that is why they decided to go with a separate window?

If that is the trade off, I’d take it all day long. Honestly don’t give a toss about the traffic light controls in this context. 

2 hours ago, R C-R said:

I agree with Robinp. In the many years of using ID almost daily, never had the desire or need to open that pane any larger much less full-screen. And the APub Resource pane doesn't really have that many columns of useful info requiring much enlargement -- other than to occasionally detach it for longer scrolling needs. It just needs to be handy for routine use.

It will also help once they set the default to "linked" images/assets as opposed to the current embedded default. But it still is a routine workflow to be modifying and updating linked items.

It also would be important -- as in ID -- that this pane have an indicator warning symbol that the linked item has been modified as a reminder to decide whether the document's item(s) needs updating. 

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Sonoma
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Sonoma
iPad Air 2022