You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Drop Cap: distance of first line of a text

• 2 years later...

Me too! The workaround used in InDesign modifying kerning after introducing a zero-width-non-joiner just after the drop cap is not possible, all options are greyed and only auto is allowed when you select this zero-width-non-joiner and the next letter. If you place the cursor just before the non-joiner, all the lines move instead of only the first line.

Is there anything to work this out?

12 hours ago, Wosven said:

Avoiding such thing is best, since graphically, it's terrible.

You can also use tips from this excellent article:

https://affinityspotlight.com/article/be-more-creative-with-drop-caps-in-affinity-publisher/

When it's correctly implemented I think it's not so bad and also it has been a common practice in much of the latin-based languages. Thanks for your mention to the affinity tips about drop caps.

The second solution brought by prophet seems to be the better approach, however the way it could be done through InDesign involves much less steps I think.

Nevertheless, it would be great if this feature could be added in upcoming updtes of Affinity Publisher.

Thank you for your replies!

22 minutes ago, prophet said:

An unfortunate truth for a few of my traditional workflows.

Happy to help.

I downloaded it yesterday in order to avoid InDesign excessive subscription fees but I have been finding out some flaws that even for a novel book formatting level, these are quite disappointing. Don't know how to solve some issues without some sort of GREP formulations. I would not transcend it here as this will be out of topic and will dive into the forum for previous concerns.

Thanks again for your help!