Sabine 108

Cropping a pic with the picture frame tool

So I have a picture 'inside' the frame which is bigger than the frame, cropped to a part of the picture. When I change the size of the frame, to add bleed for example, the pics jumps to fit into the frame.
Hard to explain... I just want it to stay cropped :)

It's a new feature shown in this tutorial (around at 1').

At first it's really strange, we're not use to this so we need to accept/tame it :D before being at ease with it.

It would be usefull to have a key modifier to be able to resize the frame without modifying the content (some maniacal people like me would want to "tidy" the pages, even when frames are partly out of the page so frame wouldn't go past bleed zone) without changing the general properties for picture frames.

Thanks for your reply. I really do like the new feature, it's astonishing, but it should be possible to disable it, probably in the same menu 'properties'.
I'm also a big 'tidyer', by the way:)

If I use the Place Picture tool without a picture frame previously selected, and drop the image straight onto the page, then it crops and scales in a more 'traditional' way - ie drag the corners to scale, use the crop tool to crop.

Dragging corners works the "Affinity" way - the image retains its proportions by default, without using a modifier. 

Affinity Photo 1.6.7, Affinity Designer 1.6.1

Various betas

macOS 10.14

MacBook Air

I agree that there should be a way to disable the "intelligent" resizing to give the user more control. In the meantime I would just use the "Insert inside the selection" button to put the photo inside a shape. Then use lock children to resize the frame without changing the image.

Windows 7 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM