You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Tilde ( ñ ) entry is buggy

Publisher does not handle the entry of a tilde correctly. The little squiggly over the "n" in some Spanish words - like doña, or España. Affinity Photo handles these quite well, exactly the way I would expect. However Publisher ends up making an extra tilde over a blank space, like this:  ˜ñ

I am using macOS 10.11.6 (El Capitan).

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

This happens with all accents that are entered by pressing accent key and character after it. Accent is repeated as separate character. This happens only when entering text manually, not with pasted or imported text.

This is funny, because I never discovered that. in former times, holding down a key would always result in repeatedly entering the respective letter over and over again (“Zeichenwiederholung”). But now this behavior seems to have changed. At least for letters that can be combined with diacritics. I can still use “Zeichenwiederholung” for the other ones ................... ;)

So thanks for educating me. This is a very helpful function. :)

EDIT I believe the correct German term is “Tastenwiederholung” … ;)

3 hours ago, A_B_C said:

This is funny, because I never discovered that. in former times, holding down a key would always result in repeatedly entering the respective letter over and over again (“Zeichenwiederholung”). But now this behavior seems to have changed. At least for letters that can be combined with diacritics. I can still use “Zeichenwiederholung” for the other ones ................... ;)

FWIW, a few days ago in a different topic I posted a reply that included a little AppleScript utility I wrote to toggle between the key repeat & accent popup behaviors. It is nothing fancy -- for one thing I did not try to format the text in its window to use the system language so it is 'hard wired' to use English -- but it is simple enough that I think most users who can read English could open the .scpt file in Script Editor & change the text to whatever language they want.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

10 minutes ago, mac_heibu said:

What a pity! Since the last update, diacritical characters are fixed, but the „Mac way“ of keep the key pressed until a menu with diacritical characters appear, is broken! :( :(

The menu popup still seems to be working for me in some very brief tests I did just a few minutes ago after downloading & installing the 1.7.0.58 update. Have you checked in other apps (like TextEdit) to see if it still works there? Sometimes, for no reason I can identify, the system defaults value that enables the menu pop up on a long key press rather than the old repeating key behavior gets changed & needs to be reset. 

As I mentioned here, there are several ways to change this defaults value, one of them being with an AppleScript like the very simple one I wrote that is included in the Repeat or use accents.zip file I attached to that post, & now to this one too.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thanks, R C-R. I‘ll test tomorrow. Actually I am busy with turning our house upside down to find the magnifyer glass! :)

All is fine again, @R C-R!

I did, what I normally recommend other user in these cases: Restart the machine, before crying „Bug! Bug!“, and – it worked again!

I always shouldm listen to my own recommendations! :)

48 minutes ago, mac_heibu said:

Thanks, R C-R. I‘ll test tomorrow.

The application script just opens a window that tells you if the system is set to do accents or key repeats, with two buttons labeled "Keep" & "Change," that either leave the setting unchanged or changes it to the other setting. It is as simple as I could make it.

P.S. Good luck finding the magnifying glass. :)

Affinity Photo 

Both methods work for me, but somewhat annoyingly the "repeat key" input panel is displayed in the bottom left-hand corner of the screen rather than above the text:

1847270475_Screenshot2018-09-07at00_41_18.thumb.png.a8d1f5b422a55d819d7e2803e12b1988.png

(On one occasion while testing, I found that using the 'dead key' method briefly disabled the 'repeat key' method, but I can't replicate the issue.)

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

2 hours ago, h_d said:

Both methods work for me, but somewhat annoyingly the "repeat key" input panel is displayed in the bottom left-hand corner of the screen rather than above the text:

I am getting some really odd behaviors with this, but that is not one of them. I have only one remaining document I saved with the earlier beta & for that one, the popup input panel does not work at all -- holding down a key doesn't do anything besides entering the unaccented version. But in several new test documents I created, it works fine. For both old & new documents the dead key method works fine. :S

Affinity Photo 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.