You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Table Text - Format to Top/Middle/Bottom of cell

Been playing with tables but simply cannot find where you can set the table text to align to the Top/Middle/Bottom of the cells. Kinda required for tables, but I must be blind. Even looked at the Styles editing panels and can't see it anywhere.

Does anyone know where it is?

Thanks.

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Sonoma
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Sonoma
iPad Air 2022

View > Studio > Text Frame, then use the icons in the Vertical Alignment section.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I see that but for a table it is greyed out, plus how do I add that to a Text Style? I don't see that option in the Edit Style panel.

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Sonoma
iPad Air 2022

13 minutes ago, nwhit said:

I see that but for a table it is greyed out, plus how do I add that to a Text Style? I don't see that option in the Edit Style panel.

It is not greyed out if you have text within the table selected. I'm not sure if/how you can put it into a text style or not. I haven't experimented with that.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

After a bit more research: View > Studio > Table Formats will let you define a named table layout, and specify alignment for its cells (among other attributes for the table overall). You can then apply the table format to any table you want. Still more research needed.

-- Walt
PC:

I did find out that by selecting the text or cells, I can change the vertical alignment. And I did (finally) find it when editing a Table Style. 

But in doing this, I noticed that when I have created a table style, then imported it into another doc, the imported one does not update if you edit the original. Be nice to have that choice to save having to update every doc that uses that table style.

--------------------

iPad Air 2022

You can add your table layout/Style to the Table Formats Panel

These are saved 'templates of your table layout. You can then re-apply to a new 'local' table on a page;edit the layout;duplicate the layout;import from other documents 

Also when you save a document. Table formats can be exchanged between documents...but you also have to remember to re-import any styles used on the actual table

Regarding the vertical alignment:This is can be controlled from the dedicated table panel and the Table Format Panel

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.2 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.5 2.2402
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

I guess the main issue now is that we need to be able to create a Table Style that can be used in multiple documents, and if the Table Style is updated/changed, it will propagate and be available in the many other documents that need/use that Table Style. Obviously, it would not automatically change existing tables within a document, but it should change the Style itself so that a designer can go through an existing document and update the tables to the new/approved style.

As it is now, it appears that a person has to: 1) Change a Table Style in one document; 2) Go into all the other documents that need/use that Style; 3) Delete the old style and import the newly modified style. Like a color palette or other common settings, if updated somewhere, should propagate to the other documents where it is used.

Actually be nice to be able to create Global Table Styles that simply show up in any document, and those Global Styles would auto update. Save a ton of time. And time is money to the client.

--------------------

iPad Air 2022

11 hours ago, nwhit said:

Like a color palette or other common settings, if updated somewhere, should propagate to the other documents where it is used.

If you mean this should automatically propagate to every other document where it is used if it is updated in any one open document, this would be problematic because there is no way to know if all of those other documents are online & accessible at that time, & because even if they were it could take a long time to update all of them, tying up system resources that would be unavailable for use in open documents, slowing everything down for as long as that takes.

Less problematic would be items like color palettes that can be created & stored in the app so they can be used in any document the app can open, but auto updating would still cause the same problems as above.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7