You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Price for Publisher

• Staff
1 minute ago, Tourmaline said:

afpub, afdesign and afphoto. 3 different format names.

That helps with default "open with" behaviour, but the file format is identical and shared, leading to being able to open one file extension in the other applications

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

1 minute ago, Patrick Connor said:

That helps with default "open with" behaviour, but the file format is identical and shared, leading to being able to open one file extension in the other applications

I know that internally they are the same, just different format names.

Much as I like Publisher, currently there is nothing I need to be able to do, that I can't do in Serif's old PagePlus X9. But there are features in PPX9 (primarily Mail Merge) that aren't available in Publisher.

I really like the way all the Affinity products work together and look forward to having them all installed. However, if Publisher is too expensive I would probably just do without it for now.

Although the free updates for version 1 (of all three apps) are very welcome, I am keeping in mind that many new features may not be available until version 2, and at that point it will be necessary to purchase all three again. (Still, hopefully, good value and cheaper than Adobe products, but never-the-less a significant outlay for some of us!)

So, if the first release version of Publisher is too expensive, taking into account what features it has, I would just leave Publisher for now, and look at it again in (presumably) a few years, when version 2 comes out.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

33 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

Much as I like Publisher, currently there is nothing I need to be able to do, that I can't do in Serif's old PagePlus X9. But there are features in PPX9 (primarily Mail Merge) that aren't available in Publisher.

Mail Merge may be a primary requirement for you, Paul, but many of us muddle along without it! A problem which I think is more generally applicable is the inability to interpret fonts embedded in PDFs; a related problem is the lack of PDF passthrough.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

41 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

But there are features in PPX9 (primarily Mail Merge) that aren't available in Publisher.

So, you can still use PPX9 or use Mail Merge from some text procesor and import it into Publisher.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

22 hours ago, Alfred said:

Mail Merge may be a primary requirement for you, Paul, but many of us muddle along without it! A problem which I think is more generally applicable is the inability to interpret fonts embedded in PDFs; a related problem is the lack of PDF passthrough.

I did emphasis that I was referring to my needs, and speaking personally. I fully accept that other people have other priorities, and more funds available! :D

I do agree about the embeded fonts as well!

17 hours ago, ErrkaPetti said:

Paul, don’t be that negative ;-)

I'm not being negative, I'm being realistic from my own point of view.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

I've just received the preorder e-mail, and I'm excited for the launch. Presumably though, this special beta price is for the Serif store only? I'm torn, because I know Serif will get more money if I buy direct, and I'd love to support them, but my Photo and Designer licences are both from the Mac App Store, and I'd prefer to have everything in one place.

Will the Mac App Store be launching with the standard 20% discount mentioned in the e-mail? What about the free font pack that seems to be added to the order? Will App Store buyers be able to claim that?

• Staff
3 minutes ago, somnolentsurfer said:

Will the Mac App Store be launching with the standard 20% discount mentioned in the e-mail?

Yes,

3 minutes ago, somnolentsurfer said:

What about the free font pack that seems to be added to the order?

In the past this sort of thing came through the welcome screen, so I would expect that for the Mac App Store (after launch)

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Thanks, A-Team. I've just made a pre-order. I'm very happy I'll have a new tool in the suite to work with.

Do we have to expect 1.7 for Designer and Photo at the same date?

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

54 minutes ago, somnolentsurfer said:

my Photo and Designer licences are both from the Mac App Store, and I'd prefer to have everything in one place.

That's where I am at too.  I'd be more quick to consider buying outside of the app store if there were extra features that I thought might be useful, but otherwise it makes things simpler to get it on the app store and keep things in one place.

I'm also waffling between the Mac App Store version and this introductory offer directly through Serif. I think I'm leaning toward the MAS version, because those versions of the Affinity apps are Family Sharing eligible, besides the convenience of updates all coming from the same place.

• Staff
48 minutes ago, Petar Petrenko said:

Do we have to expect 1.7 for Designer and Photo at the same date?

They should be released sooner, and they are in GM now

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

GM?

Hi,

Great news, Affinity Publisher finally here! Awesome!

I have a pricing question for upgrades. Version 2 of Affinity Publisher app will be payable.

If I remember well Affinity Photo and Affinity Design have been one time purchase with free lifetime upgrades? It's been some time ago, so I might be wrong my memory being confused about that.

Thanks for your lights!

2 minutes ago, roysyb said:

If I remember well Affinity Photo and Affinity Design have been one time purchase with free lifetime upgrades? It's been some time ago, so I might be wrong my memory being confused about that.

Upgrades from 1.x to 2.x (etc.) have always been a fee. It's just we haven't had a 2.x release yet.

14 minutes ago, MikeW said:

Upgrades from 1.x to 2.x (etc.) have always been a fee. It's just we haven't had a 2.x release yet.

OK, thanks for the reminder :)

Maybe I've been confused elsewhere, I mean by App Store, where lots of Apps are like one time fee.

Of course, I have nothing against having Affinity apps being on a fee between majors releases - Affinity apps are so great and well priced. THANKS Affinity Team!

Cheers,

PS

Just a little "minus" for ergonomics of Affinity Photo - the way tools works is a bit like reinventing the wheel - it causes me some headaches as I come from Photoshop (probably that's the reason I have a bit of pain being comfortable in Aff.Photo)