You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Page orientation

I've been struggling to find a simple way to change the page orientation from portrait to landscape, having set up a new document with margins etc. File > Document Setup offers no option for this. Am I missing something, or do I have to start the whole thing again? Surely not. PagePlus had a simple icon on the toolbar to click for this.

You can do it in the "Spread Setup" (or "Spread Properties" in Page context menu), but be aware, there is currently a Bug (I already reported), you have to fill out the Type + Page Preset manually again:

Spread.thumb.png.8f8db139b9ecc8746f8d169fdce50edd.png

System                                                              Notebook Lenovo P50

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3900x                              CPU: Intel i7-6700HQ

RAM: 64 GB                                                   RAM: 32 GB

GPU: RTX 3080 TI                                         GPU: NVIDIA Quadro M2000M 4 GB

SSD: Samsung 980 PRO 1 TB                       SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 500GB

OS: Windows 11 Edu x64                               OS: Windows 10 x64

TFT: 1 x Samsung C49RG94SSU                  TFT: 2 x Lenovo

• 2 years later...

I just did a job for a 21.0x10.5cm flyer that is horizontal, but the print service only does vertical flyers. Following this thread's advice, i switched the orientation temporarily to landscape, created a complex layout with two pages, and a couple days later when i wanted to export a PDF for the printer i met a shocking surprise.

When i rotated the spreads back to portrait, the content did NOT rotate. I had to manually rotate the content 90° and it still was off (not centered!). Very disappointing.

Do you guys have any idea what's up with this? I'm using v1.10.

23 hours ago, sveto said:

I just did a job for a 21.0x10.5cm flyer that is horizontal, but the print service only does vertical flyers. 

?

21.0 x 10.5 or 10.5 x 21.0 are the same.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

On 8/6/2021 at 10:48 PM, sveto said:

When i rotated the spreads back to portrait, the content did NOT rotate.

Hello @sveto,

APub does not 'know' the concept of rotating pages. It is possible to rotate the view (in the view menu) but this does not help with x and y values.

If you have Designer you can switch to the designer persona and turn a single page into an artboard. Then you can rotate the artboard by 90 degrees and the content rotates with it.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Thanks for the workaround, i'll try it out next time. I often switch between the apps in Publisher - to paint into a mask in Photo, to do some shape related stuff in Designer etc, so i'm quite used to it. :)

EDIT: Duh! I almost overlooked your other info. I didn't know i can rotate the view, that's exactly what i needed in the first place (instead of changing the orientation of the spread). Wow, talk about complicating things, LOL...

19 hours ago, sveto said:

Do you mean that if i send the PDF with landscape orientation, it wouldn't be a problem? Sorry, i just don't know the technicalities, and the info material from the printing service only showed vertical orientation.

Most stuff that is printed is printed as vertically oriented, it is just a thing.

You mention Print Service and Printing Service so whoever they are they may have some esoteric needs for Portrait orientated PDFs. Do they print on sheets or rolls, gang or n-up printing are also things to take into consideration.

You solved it with dominik's help.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.