You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta RC3 (1.1.2.23834)

Is this a bug or by design?

It seems the transparency tool isn't fading shapes with inner shadows (haven't tried other effects) to complete transparency and is affecting (stretching) the inner shadow effect instead of fading it out. See attached breakdown. 

I would expect the transparency tool to fade the entire shape to nothing, including the inner shadow, fading it out to zero. Is anyone having a similar situation? 

post-305-0-11871100-1427402031_thumb.png

• Staff

Hi Kevin,

It's definitely deliberate - but as to whether or not it's desired, that's a different matter! :S

Now that I've seen your example I can't think why I'd ever want it to act the way it currently acts - but someone obviously thought about it here and made it work that way, so... I'd better ask some questions and get back to you! ;)

Thanks,

Matt

• Staff

Just as a quick heads-up, we've still not made it through App Store validation (still waiting) so I think it's extremely likely we'll be seeing the update go live next Thursday (the 2nd April) based on past experience... 6 days... I can wait that long, I'm sure...

(is it ready yet?)

• Staff

Hi Vlad,

As I mentioned earlier this week, there won't be a beta this week - I'm hopeful that Ben will have finished his grid and snapping changes by next week and then we can make a new beta with those changes. We'll have to see where he has got to next week. Other than that, we've got to verify that the current build is now of at least the same quality as the current Designer beta before releasing it to anyone because after folding changes between the Designer and Photo source code branches following the App Store update build, there is a potential for it be a regression which we obviously don't want. We'll only ever update anything if we believe we've improved something and that customers will benefit.

Thanks,

Matt

Hi Matt,

Yes I knew that this week there won’t be any update to the beta. I was actually asking about next week :) . But you provided the answer to some extent. It’s a maybe. Just interested in the snapping + grids + guides improvements, they will be a huge help for UI design. 

Thanks,

Vlad

UI Designer, CG Artist

Macbook Pro 15" 2014

2.5 Ghz, 750M

https://www.behance.net/VladMafteiuScai

Ugh...I really hate this apple approval layer of things. I get its purpose, but it really is a pain in the arse. I personally avoid using the Beta. Betas are subject to change. It's no secret I create training and tutorials I can't do so with the Beta. It just cause confusion for people who are already confused about the MAS and the Beta and what can and cannot be done or exchanged between the two  file formats. Apple approval is really the wrench in the wheel of rapid delivery. 

Hi Kevin,

It's definitely deliberate - but as to whether or not it's desired, that's a different matter! :S

Now that I've seen your example I can't think why I'd ever want it to act the way it currently acts - but someone obviously thought about it here and made it work that way, so... I'd better ask some questions and get back to you! ;)

Thanks,

Matt

Cheers Matt. I'd really appreciate your following up on this one, in my type of work this fix would be a huge workflow improvement.  :)

• Staff

@00Ghz,

Currently you can type the first letters of the font name and it will jump and highlight that font in the font list on the context toolbar (also in the Character panel).

Personally I would prefer to have the fonts used in the document listed in the top section for quick access.

You can also use Font Book to create collections and access them through the Character Panel in Affinity Designer.

Any chance for you guys to add some search box to the font list? Or make selection jump to whatever you type. Ex: “Hel” and it jumps to Helvetica and it highlights it.

Making a top list with favourite fonts won’t hurt either.

I agree with, this but just in case you did not know you can click on the drop down and hit the letter that starts with the letter of the font you are  looking for. You can also do the same in the character  panel.  Search input field would be nice though :)

I would like to see a command click to temporarily allow selecting and moving the type around or to quickly deselect the type... I thought this was discussed and resolved earlier...no?

What are others doing to deselect the type or to get out of the type tool. The escape key is a wee bit cumbersome.

esc defaults to the move tool then I just move it around then double click or tap on my tablet to text edit again. doesn't really bother me I am just so use to doing that from the beginning of time. I don't find it to be cumbersome, but that doesn't mean there isn't a better method. 

Trouble withText on a Closed Path (Circle).

Hi All,

Has Anyone had issues with text on a circle. 

I am having problems with getting the text to sit inside the path and outside of the path.

Additionally the original characters that I type once I go back to edit a second time jump about or other characters are missing.

Regards,

Titus Tears

Kind Regards,

Titus Tears

Some handling improvements might be welcome though, when the text gets split up and *four* red handles appear. It’s somewhat difficult to tell which handles are related in that situation ... It would be nice if the handle pairs had different colours for example ...  :unsure:

@00Ghz,

Currently you can type the first letters of the font name and it will jump and highlight that font in the font list on the context toolbar (also in the Character panel).

Personally I would prefer to have the fonts used in the document listed in the top section for quick access.

You can also use Font Book to create collections and access them through the Character Panel in Affinity Designer.

MEB that kinda works. IT does jump to the first font starting with that letter but that’s it. It won’t recognise further inputs. In AI this works just fine.

As for accessing font collections....it involves just way too many steps to be practical.

UI Designer, CG Artist

Macbook Pro 15" 2014

2.5 Ghz, 750M

https://www.behance.net/VladMafteiuScai

Some handling improvements might be welcome though, when the text gets split up and *four* red handles appear. It’s somewhat difficult to tell which handles are related in that situation ... It would be nice if the handle pairs had different colours for example ...  :unsure:

The handles are supposed to be placed on different sides of the curve. Some should be inside and some outside. That works for me, but it's not what I'm seeing in your video. Strange.

Hi JGD,

It's really not my area of expertise - I don't know for certain the legal side of things so would have to seek advice on that one, sorry...

Thanks,

Matt

Hi Matt,

Once again, thanks for the frankness. Do you have a typography guru over there who might get around to find more about .PDF font embedding and licensing issues?

I don't mind working as an ersatz type guru kind of guy and do that myself, but if you have one already, all the merrier (I do, after all, have to tend to my day job and clients already). I think this kind of thing could, say, be escalated to a Typophile thread, as those guys really know their stuff…

You know, if it's not illegal (I'm afraid it might be, but hoping that it isn't… Wishful thinking, I know), it could really become a differentiating and, I'd venture to say, killer feature. Adobe doesn't have anything even remotely similar, and our work sometimes lives and dies by typography, so there's that.

hello.

Sorry, since I do not speak English, I had to use a translation program .

I am interested in affinity designer, but unfortunately there is this only in German. When comes affinity desinger in German language out ( no beta)?

Speaking of caches… What's the legality and feasability of fetching the glyph information embedded inside a .PDF exported by Illustrator or InDesign and using it to render all the corresponding text strings present in said file, even if the font isn't installed and activated in the system (at least until the user tries to edit it, not unlike smallreflection proposed for .afdesign files and .PDF readers already manage to do by design)?

Also, while I'm at it, do you reckon that those glyphs could be convertable to outlines? Or… would that veer off too much into the “downright illegal” camp?

Legally, the PDF should say what is allowed to be be done with the fonts and the content in general. Technically, it is something our other product PagePlus already does on Windows. So this is something we should support in Affinity eventually. Probably not this year, though.

Hello Gadget,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

German localization should be available in the next Mac App Store update (hopefully available this week).

Hello MEB .

Thank you for the welcome . Now if only I had one more question, if you At length the current version , you can then once the Affinity designer appears in German language , replace it , or how does this work then switch to German .

We are talking here but now on the Affinity designers and non- Affinity Photo , right?

If I am not mistaken , there are three different products later Affinity and I hope that this will all be available in German .

Greeting gadget

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.