You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Optical Alignment text

• Staff

Then you may be interested in this very informed post by one of the developers writing this feature

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

On 9/2/2018 at 4:09 PM, fdelaneau said:

When I saw this option I was hoping for automatic text kerning but instead it seems to be Indesign optically margin alignement with some nice new options.

Can anyone tell me if the optical kerning is hidden somewhere ?

It seems that the "Auto" kerning option is simply "Use font metrics" and there's no fancy optical kerning engine at the moment which is disappointing. They say:

"We provide kerning based on tables in the font file. As these are pretty well supported by fonts, doing anything more isn't a priority at the moment."

( https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/65653-tooltip-fix-and-optical-margin-align/&tab=comments#comment-342380 )

Which would be great if most of the crappy Windows base fonts weren't missing kerning tables. Not that I'm planning to use any of those but it was disappointing to see things like "A VID" in most of the random fonts I picked on a Windows machine not set up for DTP. It just means more people are going to produce more ugly typography as usual.

Oh well.

None of those fonts are default Windows fonts. They are 1990s fonts, at least here. As this computer never has had an OS older than Win8, they didn't come from Microsoft installs.

But at least Comic Sans has 15,000+ kerning pairs...