You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do I set up a basic novel?

Okay, I played around a bit today, and a few other questions arose:

When I set up a master page (facing) for the novels body text, I add a text box to each of the pages and link them. Then I add text and paragraph styles. When I paste my novels text into the 'normal' page, it adds all the needed pages automatically, but the page on the right side looks like there is another text box overlayed (see attached image).

When I don't do a master page, I paste the text directly into a 'normal' page, it adds the pages as well without the messed up overlay thingy. But I would need to add the styles for every page manually and that sucks.

Could someone please explain how the process would look like to set up a basic novel? I thought you generate master pages with linked text boxes for the text and the chapter titles, give those styles and paste the text into the 'normal' page, then the needed pages are created automatically and you are basically done. Is that correct or am I missing something here?

Screenshot 2018-08-31 17.44.26.png

You could use text autoflow, for starters.

1. Create a text frame right on your first layout page and place it according to the intended type area
  2. Paste your text inside this frame
  3. Then Shift + click the text flow handle at the bottom right of the text frame. Holding down Shift while clicking the handle is essential for invoking text autoflow!
  4. Publisher will create as many new pages as required for your text and place the text frames accordingly. Frame creation will even respect facing pages.

Hope that helps for the time being … :)

Alex

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.