You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Place a File via Link not Embed

I really Love the way embedded files work in Designer, this is much better than Illustrator, it is quick and effective, and it doesn't bloat the size of your file the way it did in Illustrator. However being able to link the file instead of embedding is still needed, especially in workflows where there is more than one person updating the files. I have this problem from time to time, and it sucks to have to remember to go back and re-embed the file, it also can get confusing, depending on how noticeable the changes are. (ie. sometimes it's just subtle positioning, or colour swapping etc. and you don't really notice if the embedded file manually was updated.)

Shift Studio,

I completely agree with you and Jesse that the ability to link as well as embed images would be great but I'm a little confused as to why you would want to link a vector file? If you were using Publisher I could understand but if you are using Designer what would be the advantage? 

Hokusai

+1 for linking files additionally to embedding them.

Linked files are a really usefull feature when working on complex user interface designs, and it adds to the idea of using symbols and or assets: you can use more complex objects in their own files, which then can be used and updated from other team members.

If this feature gets into Affinity Designer: please do us all the favour of using relative links (like links to images on web pages), instead of hardcoded / fixed links.

Using relative links would make this feature much more flexible and increase interoperability when working with teams using different platforms.