You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Print book layout

On 6/23/2019 at 12:05 PM, Old Bruce said:

I do like that idea of moving sections but I honestly don't know how it could be implemented without messing up its current usefulness. We need some sort of Book/Chapter divisions and I do hope that comes along.

As I conceive it, since we can already move pages around from the pages panel, the easiest might be to be able to group pages (or perhaps visually represent sections as collapsable folders) in the pages panel, and then one could move pages around in a bunch.

3 minutes ago, garrettm30 said:

As I conceive it, since we can already move pages around from the pages panel, the easiest might be to be able to group pages (or perhaps visually represent sections as collapsable folders) in the pages panel, and then one could move pages around in a bunch.

But, we would be moving pages, the sections would still start at page 15 for example. The sections are page numbers in a document, not pages in a document. A street address is not a house

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 5 months later...

I work at a design studio and we do a lot of packaging (boxes, labels, wrappers). And to keep track of all the different version of products (sometimes 30 products or more with 3 or 4 versions) we create files per product and than combine them in a indb book for export. Doing this with only pages would be impossible.

I asked my colleagues to take a look at publisher and although they were impressed they could see around the fact that there wasn't a book function (and scripting and indesign import).

Have been hanging on using InDesign CS6 waiting for Publisher. Very excited by the beta process and purchased Publisher on day one.

Have completed several small projects successfully in Publisher but without an indb-style function in Publisher,  InDesign has to remain our prime publishing software. Would be good to know if this function is/will not be part of Publisher. If it will be we can hang on a while longer. If not, we need to (holding nose) go to Adobe CC. Even a vague indication would be helpful.

On 1/2/2019 at 2:04 PM, Arte said:

Yes, it probably will be added to AP at some time, but it would be nice if it would be sooner rather than later. There are still quite a few things that need to be added but a working book functionality (i.e. including generating a TOC across the books is required but index can wait a bit longer and it should be able to number pages continuously across books without manual intervention) can be considered a basic requirement if you want to use Publisher for long(er) documents that consist of more than just 99% text.

So +1 from me too for this request.

Partial implementation will do no good and there are much more to be included in a "Book" such as:

1. Allowing files shuffle within the book keeping page numbering/footnotes/endnotes/cross refferences, indexes... in proper order.
  2. Master file/chapter changings (page size, margins, text styles...) must be followed by the other files/chapters.
  3. Creating global PDF or separate PDFs (file by file).

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/1/2019 at 1:20 PM, Sephen said:

I work at a design studio and we do a lot of packaging (boxes, labels, wrappers). And to keep track of all the different version of products (sometimes 30 products or more with 3 or 4 versions) we create files per product and than combine them in a indb book for export. Doing this with only pages would be impossible.

I asked my colleagues to take a look at publisher and although they were impressed they could see around the fact that there wasn't a book function (and scripting and indesign import).

Sorry I meant to say: I asked my colleagues to take a look at publisher and although they were impressed they could NOT see around the fact that there wasn't a book function (and scripting and indesign import).

A more sophisticated function for book layout would be essential. Until then, moving pages within the thumbnails in the pages panel will have to suffice. I've laid out a 200+ page book with sections for each chapter. While I certainly found it clunky to have to go back and modify section page numbers to accommodate any manual page movement, I was able to do it. The satisfaction of being able to perform at least that operation was yet another bye-bye wink to InDesign.

Petar Petrenko's comments above, as well as many other comments regarding page movement, InDesign import, and other suggestions, are spot on and the developers at Affinity need to continue burning the midnight oil. Perusing these forums show the myriad problems still inherent in Publisher. Obviously, many are user created issues and learning curve situations; however, much work still needs to be done.

iMac (late 2013), 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5, 32GB Ram, Mac OS Mojave 10.14.5, Running Affinity Photo, Publisher. Running Adobe CS5.5 on external disk with Mavericks...when the bugs abate in Publisher, last line not needed.

A lot of work needs doing, for sure, at least from our perspectives as users. That said, I've been using Publisher to build out novels for a client since its release this past summer, and while there are some extra steps, it's more than made up for by not having to pay Adobe every month. 

Would I like Publisher to do more of the stuff I want it to do? Surely. Will I manage until it does (or if it never does)? Absolutely.

• 2 months later...

Dear Affinity,

1: Can you PLEASE apply a shuffle function in publisher ?
I want to create a booklet but can't stack 3 pages in a row
In my opinion it's a key and basic option you must apply in your software

2: Very important, to open Indesign file!!!

Feedback would be pleasant.

P.S: If there is any option or different way to do this inform me. 

+1 again on this function.
I hoped tha1.8 had it... but not, it doesn't show up. 
Only a useless "import pages" that can be used in a certain way, but the document become heavier than planet earth.
So, Affinity, you are near to perfection, just another little step... maybe with update 1.8.2 ;)