You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Print book layout

The InDesign feature I use most—weirdly—is the INDB book feature, where InDesign creates a container file of sorts to hold a pile of individual InD files that make up an entire book, as well as manage their page numbers. Being able to manage chapters individually is vastly easier than working on a 300+ page single file. Would love to see this implemented—or something like it. 

On 8/31/2018 at 10:26 AM, patrickfoster said:

The InDesign feature I use most—weirdly—is the INDB book feature, where InDesign creates a container file of sorts to hold a pile of individual InD files that make up an entire book, as well as manage their page numbers. Being able to manage chapters individually is vastly easier than working on a 300+ page single file. Would love to see this implemented—or something like it. 

Totally vote for this one! PLEASE!!!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

+1

Since I encounter problems with my too large document I would like to split it into multiple documents that share the same page number counter.

Maybe something like declaring master pages in a separate APUB that are shared amongst the other documents would be nice.

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

On 11/11/2018 at 10:34 AM, CarlM said:

Its a feature of PagePlus 9 so I would expect that eventually it will be added to AP

Yes, it probably will be added to AP at some time, but it would be nice if it would be sooner rather than later. There are still quite a few things that need to be added but a working book functionality (i.e. including generating a TOC across the books is required but index can wait a bit longer and it should be able to number pages continuously across books without manual intervention) can be considered a basic requirement if you want to use Publisher for long(er) documents that consist of more than just 99% text.

So +1 from me too for this request.

Order. Order! [Slamming my gavel on the block]

Based upon these recent findings and the overwhelming evidence presented by eyewitnesses, it is the opinion of this court that a similar ID book feature must be added to Affinity Publisher and that evidence thereof must be shown no later than the first update after the official release date. Failure to do so will result in a penalty of expulsion from the Association for Cool Software Companies. Do I make myself clear, Mr. Affinity? Council, please ensure that your client complies with these orders lest we be seeing him back here facing a far harsher sentence in the near future.

(long way around to saying: "+1")

:)

My BOOK (created with Publisher, Designer & Photo):
Clearing a Path to Joy (And finding contentment along the way)

My WEBSITE (also developed using Affinity apps):
www.RolandK.ca — "Relentless adventures in self-expression"

[Power Mac & Intel PC (HighSierra/Monterey/Win 10]

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Somewhere (I'm trying to ascertain where) there is a roadmap from Affinity that mentions when a Create Book feature will be coming. Would hope this very critical feature would be at the top of the list. Even building a 150-200 page book benefits when individual files built on the same document setup can be worked on then combined. Sadly, my old copy of InDesign CS 5.5 will still need to be used. At the same time, I'm learning all I can with Publisher. Wasn't involved in the beta process, so I'm excited to have this new software in my arsenal. Thank you Serif Affinity and someday soon goodbye Adobe.

iMac (late 2013), 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5, 32GB Ram, Mac OS Mojave 10.14.5, Running Affinity Photo, Publisher. Running Adobe CS5.5 on external disk with Mavericks...when the bugs abate in Publisher, last line not needed.

Just a thought. Can Sections be reordered? If so, what the heck. Simply name your sections the chapter title and see if Publisher can handle a book. I'm thinking yes. My hope is that using the Section Panel, one could grab a section and move it anywhere. This is critical for me as I'm arranging/rearranging the different 'chapters' frequently. 

iMac (late 2013), 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5, 32GB Ram, Mac OS Mojave 10.14.5, Running Affinity Photo, Publisher. Running Adobe CS5.5 on external disk with Mavericks...when the bugs abate in Publisher, last line not needed.

1 hour ago, Wolf Wallis said:

Just a thought. Can Sections be reordered? If so, what the heck. Simply name your sections the chapter title and see if Publisher can handle a book. I'm thinking yes. My hope is that using the Section Panel, one could grab a section and move it anywhere. This is critical for me as I'm arranging/rearranging the different 'chapters' frequently. 

The Section is just a start page number and all the pages after that up to the page before the next section starts. All we can do is change the starting page number for a particular section. It is like a list of numbers that don't contain anything.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Hey Old Bruce, you're spot on correct. After I posted, realized should've actually gone and tested my thought before commenting. In the pages panel, I'm able to rearrange. Still, would love a Create Book feature. Until then, my job is to keep learning Publisher and getting better.

1 hour ago, Wolf Wallis said:

After I posted, realized should've actually...

I have to get that on a persistent clipboard here. [smiley-face emoticon]

I do like that idea of moving sections but I honestly don't know how it could be implemented without messing up its current usefulness. We need some sort of Book/Chapter divisions and I do hope that comes along. 

Import an .afpub file "As Chapter, converting page number markings and section numbering"  then just place it in the middle or at the end or replace a marked/selelcted set of pages. It would be great. 

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.