You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Impleneted] How add Hyperlink (url) on the text

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Very important feature, yes, but if it squeaks into 1.8 in order to allow for more thorough debugging and hardening of 1.7 I think at least some of us could live with that...

The reality of the way this is being developed is that what some people will consider "1.0" will be different from what others will.  The release version of 1.7 will be the first "real" version for a few, 1.8 will for others, etc.

+1

I produce several Photography Club newsletters and have been very pleased to far with how smooth Publisher has been so far. A few minutes ago I started to work on some pages that normally have hyperlinks and thought... oh, oh, I don't see any tools to make this happen. So off to this forum we went... only to find that it may not be a feature yet?

Having Hyperlinking is essential both for our own business and for any documents, flyers, interactive brochures, and yes... newsletters.  

Fingers are crossed that this feature will be added soon!

Great work, btw... 

Adding my +2000 votes for this. This is a MUST HAVE feature. This would be such a time suck to still create books/pdfs in Affinity Publisher and still end up having to use an external tool to link urls in text (whether explicit links or ones hidden behind custom text).

Please certainly consider adding this to the immediate release, and I truly believe this feature alone would be a winner for many. 

Count me in for the hyperlink request - it's essential.

iMac: iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)  -   3.4 GHz Intel Core i5   -   8 GB 2400 MHz DDR4  -  Radeon Pro 560 4096 MB 

Windows: Nvidia GTX 960m 4k UHD 2gb ram video (Windows 10 Pro) -  Laptop screen (resolution 3840x2160 magnified 300%)

2nd Monitor: Phillips 226E9Q HD 1920 x 1080 (125%)

+1 on hyperlinks. Most of my work is for the web. Without hyperlinks it is not possible for me to work with Affinity Publisher. Adding links after export is not an option. Simply too much time wasted if you have a document with few links and will have few iterations of it.

I use Designer and Photo on both Mac and iPad. I will be happy to buy Publisher too, but it must have hyperlinks. No other feature I miss more right now in Publisher.

NEXT PLANET / Design Studio / UX / GRAPHICS / ANIMATION

I've been researching ways to add hyperlinks post production, and sadly there are no good ones. There are a few apps that can do this, but it appears they cost more than Publisher will (I assume). Even if possible, adding hyperlinks post Publisher is not acceptable since it will add more time to the workflow, and be a problem later if revisions need to be made. The lack of adding hyperlinks in Publisher has me concerned. I think we all realize that the print-on-paper industry is in decline and in the near future I believe it will not exist anymore. I'm already there; I receive no paper invoices or bills, I don't send letters or invoices in the mail, I haven't written a check in years, I haven't printed a photograph in years, I have a printer on my desk, but I print less than 100 pages a year. My Thrifty Cabinets woodworking plans I'm producing are for digital distribution only. To not include a hyperlink tool in the initial release of Publisher is going to cripple it greatly in my mind.

I hate to bring this up, but being told it is something that will be included in the future is not acceptable. That's what we've been told about arrowheads on the ends of paths in AF Designer. It's been three years (I believe), and that basic functionality (my opinion) is still not included. I moved on and I produce my technical illustrations in another app now.

6 hours ago, Mr. K said:

I think we all realize that the print-on-paper industry is in decline and in the near future I believe it will not exist anymore

Hi @Mr. K,

just to add a different perspective to what you are saying. Please think of the entire packaging industry. I can hardly believe that printed packages will be replaced with digital display boxes in the near future.

Of course digital publishing is becoming more important (see also TonyB's reply in the post above). But from what I observe APub's first release will be targeted at print publishing as a starting point.

Also see this post by Dave Harris: 

Cheers,
d.

Edited by dominik
Adding links to related posts

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

5 hours ago, dominik said:

just to add a different perspective to what you are saying. Please think of the entire packaging industry. I can hardly believe that printed packages will be replaced with digital display boxes in the near future.

I doubt Affinity is targeting this market.

6 hours ago, Mr. K said:

I doubt Affinity is targeting this market.

I was referring to your statement that the print on paper industry is going to vanish. I doubt that this is going to happen. But this is really just a minor point to discuss in this context. So let's move on.

Cheers,
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

It appears that the only way to mark up hyperlinks is to publish the document as a PDF or to some other word processor or document processor and add hyperlinks there. Otherwise, it would be better to maintain Page Plus X9 and use it to create documents that require hyperlinks to URL or another publication.

Hyperlink from a page to offsite video and .html is a must have for both page processors and PDF Editors in the modern world.  Having to add hyperlinks after-the-fact is a bad idea. The world is headed to online publishing and being able to reference online material is a must. Think as if there were a hundred monks being replaced by the printing press. It is a new world. Why would one go back to chiseling on rocks? 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Just updated to AP beta v1.7.0.305 earlier today and privately did a little "happy dance" at my desk...   Text hyperlinks have arrived - time to rejoice! :)

I've had limited time to play with the feature, but if you're like me and eager to check it out, grab the latest beta and test drive the "Text > Interactive" menu option.  Anchors can be added to text within any layer, which can then be used as targets for hyperlinks.  The complete offering of URL targets (at least on my Mac version) includes:

• Page
  • Anchor
  • URL
  • File
  • Email

With the exception of "File", all of the above worked flawlessly in a PDF export.  I'm not 100% clear on the intent of the "File" link, since logic dictates it would need to reference a specific directory structure that likely wouldn't be known at the time of publishing...  the only application I can foresee at the moment would be if one were to somehow publish a "package" of sorts, containing multiple docs with links between them(?).  Otherwise, I could only see the "file" target being an online doc (which shouldn't differ from the "URL" option).  Either way, I'm excited to poke around and find out!

aplink.png

APhyperlinks.pdf

Edited by sonofzell
Added crude demo PDF

1 minute ago, sonofzell said:

With the exception of "File", all of the above worked flawlessly in a PDF export. 

I should clarify...   I did not intend to imply that "File" links did not work, only that I haven't tested them (yet).

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...