You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Impleneted] How add Hyperlink (url) on the text

Bonjour,

Thank you for this Publisher beta version. My first impressions are very positives.

I have 1 question for the moment. I export my document to PDF for print and need to have some clickable texts. How can I add an hyperlink (URL) to my text (or image) in Publisher?

This option is very important for me.

If not possible for the moment, will this option be added in the final version and when ?

Thanks for your help.

Tonio

• Staff

@Tonio DG

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) 

At the moment you cannot add a URL (or import one) into the any of Affinity range. As with most new features we do not normally implement any new features until (i) the backend code is ready for the new feature (ii) we can do it well. This may seem flippant but hyperlinks are a big deal and need doing right which means considering all the consequences. 

As far as "the final version" that is not really how the Affinity range has worked so far. We will start selling Affinity Publisher (ver 1.7) when we think the features that it has are stable and useful. However, we will keep adding features and fixes to Affinity Publisher 1.x in free patches to all those who have bought it, so I would say I doubt hyperlinks will be in the first release 1.7.0.xx but hyperlinks could be added with other new features in future free updates to 1.x. 

I will move your post to the requests/suggestions forum where there have been many similar requests.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Just designed a newsletter that I previously did in PagePlus X9 and come across the same problem.

As I have Affinity Designer and Photo I am keen to stick with this beta ready for the launch of the full version, but may have to be selective on the result required

My solution was to export the design as a PDF and then open that in PagePlus X9 and then add the hyperlinks and then publish as web PDF.

Would agree with other posters that hyperlinks and some of the options around  publishing that were in PP V9 are an essential in my opinion and will stop me going for the paid version of AFP until availabl

Alan Pickup

Windows 11 Home all Affinity suite of Apps PC and Gigabyte Laptop 16gb Ram and Nvidia GTX1660 Super on each.

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for such a detailed response. And as I see, I am not alone !

I don't know Affinity a lot yet, I am juste discovering to see if it can suit for my projects. I should say I like it very much but hyperlink is very important for me. 

I understand that it can be optional in Designer, but in my point of view it is absolutely essential for Publisher.

Thank you again, I will be looking forward to your update on this subject.

On 8/31/2018 at 10:33 AM, Patrick Connor said:

We will start selling Affinity Publisher (ver 1.7) when we think the features that it has are stable and useful. However, we will keep adding features and fixes to Affinity Publisher 1.x in free patches to all those who have bought it, so I would say I doubt hyperlinks will be in the first release 1.7.0.xx but hyperlinks could be added with other new features in future free updates to 1.x. 

I understand where you're coming from but hyperlinks are a vital feature for just about anyone who's going to be using this software to produce PDFs. Please understand that some folks can't justify buying new software that doesn't have an absolutely necessary feature, in the hopes that you "could" eventually release an update to add that feature.

See correction post below, it was the Adobe being smart enough to see www.????.com and convert it to a link

Success, Created AFpub file with hyperlink that created PDF file with working hyperlink

1. opened pageplus file with hyperlink I wanted

2. Copied link (just Control C)

3. Opened new Affinity Publisher Document, created a test box and pasted (control V)

4 exported as PDF and link worked

So it seems that somewhere in the code there is support for hyperlinks and it does not work by copying hyperlink from word

54 minutes ago, Wosven said:

I suspect this isn't an Affinity apps feature but a PDF's feature: the ability to recognize URL if they begin by "www" (and "http", etc.)  and if they end with ".xx", ".xxx", etc.

It doesn't work for me, on Windows, using Acrobat Reader DC nor the reader builtin to Firefox. It might be a feature of some PDF readers, but apparently not all of them.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hu…

@walt.farrell Which sort of PDF did you do?

I tested with the 2.afpub file provided by @KevinG, PDF 1.7, adding "www.google.com" (without quotes), pasting a link (date of a post in this forum), and another complexe URL not begining with "www".

I think Adobe Reader was the first to reconize URL and emails in PDF and later the default PDF viewer on Mac OS X, years ago.

I tested with Sumatra PDF on Win 7 (in fact I thought it wouldn't reconize it, but since it's able to read epub files it's normal, my bad). Foxit Reader and Acrobat Reader DC reconize them too, but not Firefox Javascript PDF reader.

It won't work if you use options like "Text as curves" or text on effect that'll end up rasterised.

2ter.pdf

I did a simple 1-page .afpub document with a text frame and a single paragraph of text with a link within a sentence. Exported as PDF for Export. Maybe some forms of PDF export support it and some not?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

My text was:

You can do some proofreading at https://www.pgdp.net if you want. It’s fun!

-- Walt
PC:

I agree. This feature is a MUST for my business. We create downloadable PDF instruction files that link to our website, videos, our store, etc. I love Affinity and often use it over my Adobe products where I can. Our company wants to switch over so badly to full Affinity but without hyperlinks... It's really not an option. It is essential to publishing things online...