You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Placement frames on master pages

Not sure if my understanding of Master Pages is correct but I assume I could add blank placement frames on the master pages so that when added content to those frames on the actual document pages they will be placed in the correct position. I have added master pages with placement text frames and placement picture frames however when I add text or pictures to those frames in the document pages they also show up on the master pages and populate all document pages that use that master page with the content. I want to put pictures in the same place on each page but each picture will be different and the same with text but all the pages associated with that particular master page get updated with the same content.. The attached pdf is a file I produced using Indesign and printed using Blurb, I am trying to reproduce the same file using Affinity Publisher but as mentioned the master pages do not seem to work as place holders. Maybe I am doing something wrong and if so please let me know otherwise the master pages function seems to have some functionality missing.

Tol_Vol_1_Free.pdf

At this point the recommended approach, I think, is to place Guides on the Master Page and then create your frames manually on the actual pages using those Guides to position them.

Alternatively (but not recommended, and with possibly with some risks) if you create the frames on the Master Page, and then select a regular page, you can use the Layers panel to disassociate the page from the Master Page. You'll see that the Master Page is the bottom layer on the regular page. You can unlock that layer, which will remove its association to the Master Page but leave the content, including the frames.

Of course, any further changes to the Master Page won't propagate to that page. You'll also need to be sure you don't assign another Master Page to that page or you'll lose content.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks walt.farrell for the help and info. I had just started playing with guides and think this is the best way to go, as you say deselecting master page layer could be fraught with problems down the line especially with a large book.

I ran into this same issue. My work around is I created the layout I wanted including image frames in the Master. Next I created a page and drew an image frame on top of the one from the master (using it as a guide for where I wanted it) you can do the same for text boxes. Then I treat that page as the new master and copy or duplicate the page. I've been leaving them at the end always making sure to have a blank page that way I dont have to keep recreating the boxes. And by doing it this way it doesnt populate anything on the other pages. I hope this helps so far I am really liking this program (I'm making a family history book).

Interesting approach, Katie. Thanks for the idea!

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.