You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Update Selection to Style?

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Pixelplucker said:

That is not the same as we had in PP. That is one of the least efficient and cumbersome way of defining a style.

PP you simply highlight the modified text then choose the style in the list and click the drop down and "Update" to match.

Publisher will work differently from Page Plus in many areas.

However, what you describe in your latest post seems to be a way to modify the definition of an existing style.

What you asked for at the top of this topic is a way to create a style, which is a very different operation. And that's the question that Aammppaa answered. If you're interested in modifying the definition of an existing style I think that would have a different answer.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 9/17/2018 at 3:09 PM, Pixelplucker said:

That is not the same as we had in PP. That is one of the least efficient and cumbersome way of defining a style.

PP you simply highlight the modified text then choose the style in the list and click the drop down and "Update" to match.

The Text Style panel has a pair of buttons centre-bottom which update the current style rather than create a new one.

Well Dave Harris,

Here we would have to think of less advanced user...  just creating smaler broshures and later on advancing them to a more professional level..   And i have to think here of our Architects that heavily use Indesign to create presentations , puttingin Florplans, sketches, text and so on..

I am Sure they often will use hard formatting the text without using a paragraph style or a Textstyle.. and later on moving it to the next Group of people..   they would like now to make of their hard formatted text, a style...  

how would they do that ? 

Would they create a new paragraph or textstyle....   name it,  select it and then select their text and say update the paragraph with the attributes of my hard formated text ?   is this possible ? 

If not i think you should add this option to your Styles Pannel.

1 minute ago, Tom Schülke said:

they would like now to make of their hard formatted text, a style...  

how would they do that ? 

Would they create a new paragraph or textstyle....   name it,  select it and then select their text and say update the paragraph with the attributes of my hard formated text ?   is this possible ? 

There are several buttons at the bottom of the Text Style panel. The left 3 create styles. The middle 2 update existing styles.

The users can simply select some text that has the style they want to use, and use one of the "create" buttons to create their new style from that selected text.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 4 weeks later...

Creating the styles in advance is less intuitive and awkward. In PagePlus and Quark you can simply create a headline, body copy, captions specimens and simply update an entire document by updating the style sheet from the selection. This makes approvals and revisions far less cumbersome.

The way it exists now you have to go to the menu options on the style sheet and make the revision there. This is time consuming and old school reminiscent of Pagemaker.

I couldn't even fathom doing a menu with the old way anymore, would drive me nuts. 

3 hours ago, Pixelplucker said:

Creating the styles in advance is less intuitive and awkward. In PagePlus and Quark you can simply create a headline, body copy, captions specimens and simply update an entire document by updating the style sheet from the selection. This makes approvals and revisions far less cumbersome.

The way it exists now you have to go to the menu options on the style sheet and make the revision there. This is time consuming and old school reminiscent of Pagemaker.

I couldn't even fathom doing a menu with the old way anymore, would drive me nuts. 

You don't have to create the styles in advance. You can format the text and create a new style from it. You can change the text and update that style. The buttons to do these things are at the bottom of the Text Styles panel. You don't have to use the menus.