You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Export Persona in Publisher

Apologies if this was started already as a suggestion.

I think that Export Persona should be very useful in Publisher. Imagine trying to negotiate various PDF export options.
Being able to PDF only certain pages or exporting pages in other formats would really be great.

I know that we have Export command but Export Persona would act as some sort of Presets for a variety of exporting options.

This should be a low-hanging fruit for the dev. team as most of the functionality already exists in Export Persona in Designer and Photo.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

+1 for this suggestion.

It would be very handy to be able to prepare many export scheme to a publisher document:

—Define export method and parameters (PDF config, etc.).

—Define different export file name.

—Specify which pages to export.

—A single click could export all desired documents at once.

—Even better allow certain layers or effects to be active or not for each export config. (i.e., if the layer item is checked or not.)

Thank you very much and best regards!

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Phileas said:

What about opening the afpub-file in Designer or Photo and use the Export Persona of them?

You can certainly Open the .afpub file in Designer or Photo (or use File > Edit in ...) but the Export Persona in those applications does not have the functionality to understand Pages when exporting. It is based on Layers and Slices.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 3 weeks later...

+1

Wishing for this again today.

2019 MacBook Pro 16” | Affinity Designer 2 | Affinity Photo 2 | Affinity Publisher 2

2018 iPad Pro 12.9” | Apple Pencil 2 | Affinity Designer for iPad 2 | Affinity Photo for iPad 2 | Affinity Publisher for iPad 2

Years with Affinity: 5 ❤️ https://www.instagram.com/cealcrest/

FEATURE WISH LIST  Vector Mesh Tool    Shape Builder Tool   🥚True Vector Brushes   🥚Vector Pattern Fill  🥚Studio Link in All Apps

APP WISH LIST  Publisher   🥚2D Animation/Video

• 3 months later...
36 minutes ago, spidermurph said:

When making hundreds of devices for web a good export persona is essential.

What kind of project in Publisher would need to make "hundreds of devices for the web"? Publisher is intended for producing books, magazines, etc.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

On 11/25/2020 at 9:58 PM, walt.farrell said:

What kind of project in Publisher would need to make "hundreds of devices for the web"? Publisher is intended for producing books, magazines, etc.

Publisher is now the full Affinity suite and the starting point for all of the applications. It offers the options to work with print or web when creating new document.

22 minutes ago, spidermurph said:

Publisher is now the full Affinity suite and the starting point for all of the applications. It offers the options to work with print or web when creating new document.

It is still intended primarily for books. Yes, it has the Photo and Designer Personas for users who own those products, but it does not have the full functions of the Photo nor or the Designer application. So, for some functions, it is still necessary to either start in Photo or Designer or to use File > Edit in ... to move from Publisher to one of the other applications. 

The Export Persona is not, in my opinion, necessary for Publisher's main purpose. And it is available for those who own Photo or Designer via FIle > Edit in ... if one needs the Export Persona functions.

-- Walt
PC:

• 5 months later...

I produce a lot of training materials - handouts, worksheets, etc... all of, generally, a page to a few pages. There are occasionally longer workbooks too (e.g. 10-20 pages). I would like them to all have a consistent style (i.e. using standard text styles and master pages). So, at the moment, I'm putting them all in one publisher document, so if I need to change anything in the master/styles then everything gets updated (and it's easy to see if the change caused any problems anywhere, by scanning all the pages). That works fairly well, but it is a pain to do the export to PDF as I have to choose the right pages when exporting and do each one manually. So for me it's a +1 for something that automates the process.

2 hours ago, Paul.F said:

I would like them to all have a consistent style (i.e. using standard text styles and master pages). So, at the moment, I'm putting them all in one publisher document,

Make a Template document and then use that to make your individual documents. You can have all the text styles in the template, paper size colour format etc all in the Template document.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Thanks Old Bruce, but I think the problem is in the "if I need to change anything in the master/styles then everything gets updated". For example, I'm going through a re-branding of the materials at the moment (this was from pre-Affinity, I'm converting them to Publisher as I go). If I needed to do that again, I don't believe I can change the template document to, for example, update branding and have all the other documents automatically come in sync with the updated styles and masters. And sometimes I repurpose materials with different branding (a kind-of "white labelling" approach), which should be relatively easy with the "single document" approach (i.e. create a new Master and then apply where I need it), but I believe if I had many documents instead I'd need to update every one (i.e. I can't just update the single template). So, I don't think templates solve my problem. I'd be happy to be proved wrong!

• 9 months later...

Hey @walt.farrell !

I just wanted to add a bit more information as to why I think export personas might be helpful for Affinity Publisher.

I often design tabletop role-playing games PDFs using publisher and one thing that is tedious to manage with the app is being able to export variations of the same PDF.

For example, let's imagine a game PDF that fits on a half-fold brochure (5.5x8.5 pages).

• Some people might want to read the Spreads version of the PDF because they are on a computer
  • Others might want to read the Pages version of the PDF because they are on their phone, but then the pages need to be reordered (2,3,4,1) because the cover is on page #2 and page #1 is the back cover of the brochure.
  • Some might want to print it at home, so then you need to make a print friendly version (black/white) in Spreads
  • Maybe the game is available in multiple languages and to be able to reuse the same master pages, all the different languages are within the same Affinity Publisher project. If that's the case, exporting an English version might export page 1-4, while the french version might live on page 5-8.

Those are just some examples, but basically I can definitely see how personas could be useful to:

• Export different pages numbers
  • Export using a different mode (spreads VS pages)
  • Export different objects (a black and white cover VS a fully colored one)
    • Having layers be visible only on certain personas would give a lot of powers to creators like myself.

I hope it makes sense, but if you have any additional questions or want an example of said PDF, don't hesitate

• 8 months later...