You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Any chance there will be a Caption feature in Publisher? Preferably one that works better than InDesign does!

Essentially, you'd set up a paragraph style for photo captions, then right click an image and tell it to insert the caption (either static or live).

Even more awesome would be if there was a better way to automatically say how it should line up (with the bottom edge of the caption level with the bottom edge of the photo, etc.) and to expand (up/down or sideways) to allow for the amount of text in the caption.

Attaching IDs current settings for this feature, though only for clarification on what I'm talking about. :-)

Screenshot 2018-08-31 10.18.07.png

Excuse if this is not the right place in the forum to add this suggestion. I could not find anything just like it.

For a long time now, I've had a need to create a book. It would be a bit like a photo album but with text and photo captions. Now the key here is that all of the photos I have (in Lightroom) already have plenty of metadata, including "Caption" (also named "description") and keywords, etc.  Caption display area has to be auto expandable to several sentences and could, conceivably exceed the width (or height) of the actual photo. The caption area should ideally be capable of manual sizing, orientation, and placement. A workaround might be to display/copy any available metadata easily (right-click - "show metadata") and then paste it into a separate text box. Not familiar with InDesign, but the metadata should include, perhaps, the IPTC and EXIF at a minimum so the user can choose which one (multiple?) to choose.

1605409046_ScreenShot2018-08-31at9_37_53AM.png.831d1a666bccefd955ce3c2822067308.png

• 1 year later...

InDesign's drawback is that it does not support captions on anchored pictures!

It would be nice if Publisher offers option to add captions on all 4 sides of the picture:

• Above or bellow for the caption;
  • Left or right for credits of the photographer or photo agency.

With the appropriate text rotation.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

• 1 month later...

Proper captioning should be a priority.   Even if photos are pinned to a paragraph it doesn't really help.  If you're making corrections and updates,  then you keep losing alignment of the photos and captions.

The current beta of Scribus has a more powerful pin called "weld"  which was helpful but not a complete solution to joining images with captions.  I switched to Affinity because of other limitations in Scribus.

There should be a choice of using IPTC data or writing your own caption (captions are often bulk added to photos and have to be rewritten for publication)

thanks

1 hour ago, Robin Rowland said:

Proper captioning should be a priority.   Even if photos are pinned to a paragraph it doesn't really help.  If you're making corrections and updates,  then you keep losing alignment of the photos and captions

Until they improve this area, you might consider grouping the picture frame and it's associated caption text frame. Then they'll act as a unit.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 3/7/2020 at 10:32 PM, Robin Rowland said:

Even if photos are pinned to a paragraph it doesn't really help.

Should be other way round. Caption should be pinned (anchored) to photo (frame). Which of course could be pinned to body text, allowing it to move as layout evolves. And yes, there should be also a mechanism to automatically copy caption text either from filename or meta description (user choose). And prefix that with "Fig. [running number which updates automatically]. "

• 1 year later...

Hello,

a lot of improvements/bug fixing in existing parts, thanks for that. Unfortunately, however, there has not yet been any development on the use of metadata (Exif/XMP/XMP sidecar) in AP. I can understand that this may no longer fit into Release 1, but a statement as to whether it is in the roadmap for Release 2 would be very helpful. Because the missing function to read and update the caption from the existing metadata of a photo, if e.g. the caption of the photo is changed in the photo management (e.g. Daminion), is for me still an obstacle to use AP for all desired cases. Therefore, I still often have to work with Indesign CS6 and cannot switch to AP, regardless of the non-existent book function in AP.

Regards, Uwe