You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Edge Detection/Selection

One of the things I do a lot is create masks for bitmapped images. It would be incredibly useful to have an edge-detection selector (a "magic lasso" sort of thing) so that I could easily select the object on the bitmap image that I need to mask. Admittedly, this is more of a bitmap-drawing rather than a vector-drawing sort of thing, but it's annoying to have to load an image into Gimp to create a mask, then load that mask into affinity designer.

Hello, 

To the moderator...PLEASE. PLEASE PLEASE  add better, simpler edge selection.There are so many things I love about Affinity Design I couldn't even begin to list them here but there are at least two VERY MAJOR FUNDAMENTAL functions that ...well ....they just suck. I get how to use the selection and erasing process but and I understand that sometimes that is perfect and works flawlessly but there are many more times in my work when something simple is just the trick and why there isn't a magic wand tool is beyond me. It takes so much time sometimes to paint out the edges and the tools work ok and probably could be tweaked a lot more than i have had time to do but JEEZUS....I get so frustrated that most times i end up importing my work over to photoshop or acorn just to do the background removal and then coming back to affinity or not to finish my work. Couldn't we just have a simple "delete" to remove the selected area?Like I said I understand the advantages of having the system that is there for highly detailed work etc, but I cannot understand why there isn't some quick simple tools for work that doesn't require all that. 

Secondly, I can't figure out how to crop an image and your instructions are lacking or just wrong. I tried for half hour to crop an image and i cold not lose the unwanted white space. pulling the edge like the instructions say just does what is expected and changes the size of the selection. Unless I'm missing something here too, it's just frustrating and wrong to make it so complicated. The wonderful affinity photo beta Which I have been using and love has a simple "accept" button when you crop. what is the equivalent here. I'm so frustrated by that right now its 'not healthy. Please keep making and improving the wonderful software that you have produced but some tools that we might be more used to are not a bad thing. I think you guys should rethink what ever reasons you have for not including simple cropping and selection. IT's so frustrating. 

thanks for listening. 

Mark in Atlanta

• Staff

Hi MANIMAL,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

I don't know what crop instructions you are referring to?

I didn't gave any instructions regarding the crop tool in my previous post, neither it was being discussed in this thread.

Regarding your issues with the Crop tool, currently there's a fundamental difference between Affinity Designer and Photo Crop tools. Affinity Designer's crop tool is applied to an object level meaning it just crops the selected object non destructively. Affinity Photo's Crop tool is applied to a document level, meaning it crops the whole document and not a specific object (which is the most common situation in other programs). 

The Crop tool in Affinity Designer will be improved to include the option to crop at a document level similarly to what happens in Affinity Photo presently.

Thanks. That's awesome. Are there plans for improving selection and edge detection or adding a simpler one to designer. I m trying to figure out how to use the one in photo and sometimes it works great and sometime it is completely elusive and not at all. I can't figure out how to use that consistently or jusst what i'm doing wrong.  Also, another thing that I have noticed is that it seems hard to get input to stick inside the boxes for changing things like dimensions or the input for an exact leading measurement in paragraph settings, just two examples of something that seems universally off somehow. I hope you understand what I mean. Has anyone else had this problem. For example if I want to change the leading to exactly ????. when i go to put a number in the ???? box i often have to enter it 2 or 3 times before it stays, that seems true of all boxes of that sort . Is it just me? 

• 1 year later...

This really needs to be improved.  Photoshop and some other programs have the ability to detect the edge of objects in an image, such that if you had a very defined contrast between the object and a surrounding background, you can easily select just the object and/or flip between it and the background.  This is extremely useful for removing backgrounds or objects.

Ah...wait, I just discovered the flood select tool.  That's what I'm looking for.  It's not perfect and certainly could be improved in its accuracy, but definitely helpful.

Photoshop and some other programs have the ability to detect the edge of objects in an image, such that if you had a very defined contrast between the object and a surrounding background, you can easily select just the object and/or flip between it and the background.  This is extremely useful for removing backgrounds or objects.

Errrr... Doesn't the Selection brush in Photo do exactly this?

Keith Reeder

• 2 weeks later...