You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Remove Masterpage Objects from a Page

Not currently possible.

Easy workaround…

Create two master pages.

• (A) One for all elements except the page number.
  • (B) A second for the page number.

You can apply multiple masters to a single page…

• Right click the page > apply master > uncheck "replace existing"
  • Or Ctrl + Drag master onto page.

Apply Master A & B to all pages except the last, which only gets A.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

23 minutes ago, Aammppaa said:

Not currently possible.

Easy workaround…

Create two master pages.

• (A) One for all elements except the page number.
  • (B) A second for the page number.

You can apply multiple masters to a single page…

• Right click the page > apply master > uncheck "replace existing"
  • Or Ctrl + Drag master onto page.

Apply Master A & B to all pages except the last, which only gets A.

Wouldn't it be easier to make a master with everything including page number, then duplicate it and remove the page number, so that you only need to apply one master? (Though I appreciate knowing you can apply more than one; hadn't gotten that far!) Duplicating a master layout brings another problem, but I'll post that separately.

By right-click on page, you mean right-click on the page in the Pages sidebar.

@Barry_Edmiston Easier, yes, but less versatile because if later I want to change something on the Master I either have to do it on both copies, or go through the whole operation of duplicating, erasing the page number and reassigning.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

Yes there

On 8/31/2018 at 9:05 AM, Ylene said:

I would like to remove the page number from the last page of a brochure but whatever I do, I'm always removing or hiding it from all pages. Is there a possibility to remove items just from one page?

Easiest thing in the world!  Go to the last page, use the Rectangle tool, draw a little box around the page number, keep the box highlighted, go up to the box beside the word "Fill" (next to "Rectangle") above your desktop ruler , click on "Fill" and you get the color wheel.  Click on the box above the wheel "None" and then select the white box (rightmost of 4 little boxes) next to the box inside which is the word "Greys:".  The rectangle will now be opaque and "paper colored" and your page number on that page only is gone.  Actually it is under the box but anyway, for printing purposes it is no more.  (At least this works if the background is white.  I suppose if your background has been selected for a special color, you would have to fill your little rectangle with that color.).    By the way, as long as you don't change the settings for your Rectangle tool, you will have the same setup for anything else from the Master Pages which you want to obliterate (hide) on any one of your Document pages.  Hope this helps.

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

Hi All, this should be easy options for page number should include, the 'number', '1 of x', 'Page 1' and a selectable 'Start from page' field. The page field text could be present on all pages but transparent up to the initial page specified by the 'From field'.

25 minutes ago, Bri_G said:

Hi All, this should be easy options for page number should include, the 'number', '1 of x', 'Page 1' and a selectable 'Start from page' field. The page field text could be present on all pages but transparent up to the initial page specified by the 'From field'.

Except for "Start from" I think you can do all if those easily with the existing function of putting a text frame on the Master Page.

You could even do start from by having the page number on a separate Master Page, and only applying that one to the page where the numbering should first appear, and later pages.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I did approach this by using separate master pages, and I can see a way forward with a no margin cover page and back page plus pages for the actual content. Adding masters for Index, introduction and publishing should cover the rest. Didn't have time to prove the concept though.

• 1 month later...

I agree. It would be really handy to be able to unlink or delete a master item from one page when you need to. In InDesign you can Shift+Cmd click on the master page item to unlink it.

It won't always work to have a whiteout box over the master page elements, especially if you have a textured background.

Assuming the page number is a separate layer (text box?) on the master page, you can do this by turning off "Sync" in the Symbols palette, expanding the master in the layers palette and unchecking the checkbox along the right side of the layer representing what you want to hide.

Turn Sync back on after you are happy with it.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.