Footnote support is essential for about 90% of books in Germany.

Not added to actual beta version 1.9.0.767

I assume we have to wait till version 2.0 (couldn't be so far). Please inform us about your timeline in this case.

29 minutes ago, NorCor said:

Not added to actual beta version 1.9.0.767

I assume we have to wait till version 2.0 (couldn't be so far).

We still have just the first beta of Publisher, with the promise that other features are still slated for inclusion in 1.9. We don't know which, so it could be footnotes. It might also not be footnotes, as there are a number of other popular feature requests still unfulfilled, and we understand that it can't happen all at once.

Also, you linked to the beta for Designer. When footnotes finally land, I anticipate they will be one of the features that is only available in Publisher.

The jump to version 2 should include more significant changes rather than just addressing bugs and tweaking the code. I'm not expecting anything till then, but I'll be damned disappointed if it isn't included by v2.0.

1 hour ago, Last Chance said:

I'm not expecting anything till then, but I'll be damned disappointed if it isn't included by v2.0.

As it's written by the same team I would expect Version 2 to be developed like version 1 has been, with more features added in each major update (2.0, 2.1, 2.2), not everything arriving in the first 2.0 (this is a generic statement, not one about the timeline of this specific feature)

<edit> rereading your post I don't think you were suggesting that there would be all the new features in 2.0, sorry </edit>

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

Latest releases on each platform 

I am new to Affinity Publisher and not a professional designer. I have been Using Serif PagePlus X9. I am putting together a small publication and I have been laying it our on both Affinity Publisher and Serif PagePlus. I imported text with footnotes into PagePlus with no problems, but when I tried to import it into Affinity the footnotes did not import. What do I need to do to get the footnotes to import?.

Sadly, there is no sign of a footnotes (or endnotes) system arriving unless it is in the new version due to come - but it does not seem to be featured in the Beta version mentioned above. I also am not a professional designer, although I publish stuff professionally. 

While there are some decent things in APub it is still a long way from the complex techniques of PagePlus9 - and even earlier PagePlus versions. I have been trying to create stuff in APub, but on the whole it does not seem to be as functional as PP9 unless you are seriously into the other Affinity stuff. My own tendency is to use the program which works, which is sometimes an Affinity version (APhot is good, for example, for lighting but often it is not the best for my work - Photoshop Elements or Corel Paintshop Pro is).  There used to (and still is not, in my view) an affordable program to touch PagePlus9.

The issue really is that Serif jumped the gun by dropping PagePlus too soon. I suspect that there may be a face-saving problem as a result. Either that, or they have lost the people who understood PP9 and the pther Serif products.

Just about to publish another book with something like 360 pages including hundreds of images and a good number of footnotes. I may have succeeded with some of it in Apub, but I am not confident and I certainly could not have done the footnotes and made them move with text or pagination changes. 

I am trying to give APub a chance, so I am experimenting with simple publications, but so far the endnote/footnote thing is a serious obstacle for my sort of work. If you are producing comics, or novels, or even simple picture books, fine, but not for 'academic' works. Even comics can be done simpler with other programs. It is not clear to me who Serif is targetting with this software, but i suspect they are more interested in a slice of the apple pie than in those who have remained loyal for decades. I used to regularly get calls from Nottingham asking me if I wanted something they were promoting, but that has also disappeared. 

Sic transit gloria mundi....

Table of Contents.jpg

+1 for footnotes and endnotes

On 10/10/2020 at 6:44 PM, MJWHM said:

It is not clear to me who Serif is targetting with this software

with a few additional features I would certainly be included - this and the missing word count are holding me back from putting together bigger documents - especially if they require representing sources 

MBP 15" + iPad Pro 10,5"

macOS High Sierra 10.14 | iOS 13 | latest Affinity Photo & Designer & Publisher (and Betas)

It is November 2020 and this issue has been around for *more than* a couple of years now. I've been a user of Serif products for almost a decade, and owner of A-Designer and A-Photo--since their inception. I recently purchased A-Publisher to take me beyond MS Word and save me from MS Publisher. I honestly did not expect to find a publishing product without an end-notes/footnotes capability. This is not just a feature gap. It is a defect. Please fix this.

@Edmund DelSol

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) 

34 minutes ago, Edmund DelSol said:

...this issue has been around for *more than* a couple of years now.

This thread was made during the long Publisher public beta. Publisher was launched in June 2019. We appreciate that Footnotes and Endnotes are going to be useful to many customers and we plan to add many more features like this in future versions and releases, sorry that this has disappointed you but Publisher is being used in it's present form by many users, though perhaps not for your use case.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

Latest releases on each platform