You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

It will be interesting to see what the ninth brings.

Speaking of which, they always say the sun's over the yardarm somewhere. Isn't it already the ninth on the other side of the date line?

I'm having anxiety. I'm really interested in Affinity's next big thing.

My current use case is kind of offbeat. I'm waging war against a crooked tax office, although I recognize that's probably a redundant description, with high-zen reports of misdeeds.

Why write a letter to a legislator when you can produce your own underground newspaper? Affinity Publisher, weaponized against dubious public officials, is a lot of fun. Risky, but fun.

Their website says "FOOTNOTES, ENDNOTES AND SIDENOTES" (!!!!!!!!!!!!)
but when I tried to log in earlier I got a message that their website was down.

I have seen their prices for new buyers, but what is the deal for existing users (who have given them some "gentle" indications of the direction to go!)?

8 minutes ago, Trevor A said:

I have seen their prices for new buyers, but what is the deal for existing users (who have given them some "gentle" indications of the direction to go!)?

There is not any particular upgrade discount, and here is a reason stated for that (Ashley Hewson is being quoted in a post a post by Patrick):

On 11/7/2022 at 9:49 AM, Patrick Connor said:

“For our existing customers we have also been very conscious that, considering many of our sales are generated via app stores, it’s not possible to provide upgrade pricing. That’s the main reason we have decided to offer such a large launch discount – to give users a chance to upgrade at an incredible price.”

I personally feel that the pricing is fair, as infrequent as the paid updates are (this is the first in Affinities' whole existence). 

Well, it seems that the long, long wait is over. I have not checked it yet, but even a basic functionality will remove quite a few grey hairs.

I have not seen anything about Word import of footnotes and endnotes, so I'll have to test that out.

On the other hand, I have seen a very nice feature that PagePlus had and was missing, which is the combination of different Publisher documents as chapters into a single book. This is great, I can assure you, specially when you have books with hundreds of pages!

publisher-books-171020221328.png

1 hour ago, Pedrober said:

I can't test footnotes because I' using Mojave and it's not supported. Anyhow, I would be very grateful if someone could verify that footnotes are supported in IDML import.

I just downloaded the trial version and the first thing I did was to test if it imported footnotes from an idml file. Well, it didn't. I wanted to switch the work I'm currently working on to Publisher, but with 576 pages and several hundred notes, it's impossible. (There are also some problems with importing, but I'll look at that in more detail later).
I'll be testing footnotes extensively on other work in the next few days.

Took the plunge ad bought the suite (can't resist bargains), and have played with the Publisher brefly. It is giving footnotes, and they do migrate as text changes, so that is good. Not exactly intuitive interface, but then Aff never has been for me: e.g. clicking and dragging an element doesn't move it as with other programs - you have to click an arrow and then do it. 

But I may be where I have been wanting to be, so a tentatice 'well-done' to the firm, thanks.

Version 2 installed an up and running. FINALLY ... delighted that footnotes and endnotes are in. I would love to have known that they were in development, but given the extraordinary offerings in the announcement, I can see why they were keeping quiet about what they were up to. It's been a long wait ... Haven't played with v2 much yet, but it looks like the wait was worth it for my purposes, at least.

Thank you Serif.

I did a very quick test with placing a Word .docx file containing footnotes into a Afpub document and the foitnotes were transferred across. I did then have to make appropriate adjustments via the Notes panel to stop the numbering restarting on every page, etc. But it all went well.

From what I've seen so far, I,'m very impressed and pleased with Affinity v2  

I bought Publisher but have not been able to use it due to the lack of footnotes and separate files. I did not ask for a refund. Even though I could not use it, I figured I was making a small investment in the future. It sounds like my investment has paid off.

The only major item left on my list is paragraph composition.

1 hour ago, Trevor A said:

Allan

Thank you for the helpful information.  It looks as though I may be at risk of spending some money with Serif.

Glad my comments were useful. I'm looking forward to making more use of AfPub now that the footnotes/endnotes/side notes feature is implemented.

Take a look at the Serif/Affinity YouTube channel videos for views of the new fearures.

34 minutes ago, Amontillado said:

Curious - what is paragraph composition? I see there is a new style picker that will apply a style to words or paragraphs.

That would be layout (largely justification) based upon the entire paragraph, rather than line-by-line. LaTex has done that forever. InDesign does it. But most don't. 

Justified Word documents look funky because it justifies by line by inserting space. 

Beyond better look, a benefit of paragraph composition is that relatively small paragraphs do not cause the paragraph length to change much. If you have a document with manual references (e.g. legal work with a table of authorities), fixing a few characters in a document does not cause much text shifting to pages that throws you references off.

5 hours ago, AllanP said:

I did a very quick test with placing a Word .docx file containing footnotes into a Afpub document and the foitnotes were transferred across. I did then have to make appropriate adjustments via the Notes panel to stop the numbering restarting on every page, etc. But it all went well.

From what I've seen so far, I,'m very impressed and pleased with Affinity v2  

Did the same test, using a Word document with quite a few footnotes. Import was flawless. I have not tested more advanced footnote aspects, but this test shows that at least it covers the minimum that I expected when I purchased V1, so I am happy. I have taken the reduced price offer and will now explore other capabilities. For the moment I am happy, as this was my biggest stumbling block; hopefully I will be pleasantly surprised.