You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Took the plunge ad bought the suite (can't resist bargains), and have played with the Publisher brefly. It is giving footnotes, and they do migrate as text changes, so that is good. Not exactly intuitive interface, but then Aff never has been for me: e.g. clicking and dragging an element doesn't move it as with other programs - you have to click an arrow and then do it. 

But I may be where I have been wanting to be, so a tentatice 'well-done' to the firm, thanks.

Version 2 installed an up and running. FINALLY ... delighted that footnotes and endnotes are in. I would love to have known that they were in development, but given the extraordinary offerings in the announcement, I can see why they were keeping quiet about what they were up to. It's been a long wait ... Haven't played with v2 much yet, but it looks like the wait was worth it for my purposes, at least.

Thank you Serif.

I did a very quick test with placing a Word .docx file containing footnotes into a Afpub document and the foitnotes were transferred across. I did then have to make appropriate adjustments via the Notes panel to stop the numbering restarting on every page, etc. But it all went well.

From what I've seen so far, I,'m very impressed and pleased with Affinity v2  

I bought Publisher but have not been able to use it due to the lack of footnotes and separate files. I did not ask for a refund. Even though I could not use it, I figured I was making a small investment in the future. It sounds like my investment has paid off.

The only major item left on my list is paragraph composition.

1 hour ago, Trevor A said:

Allan

Thank you for the helpful information.  It looks as though I may be at risk of spending some money with Serif.

Glad my comments were useful. I'm looking forward to making more use of AfPub now that the footnotes/endnotes/side notes feature is implemented.

Take a look at the Serif/Affinity YouTube channel videos for views of the new fearures.

34 minutes ago, Amontillado said:

Curious - what is paragraph composition? I see there is a new style picker that will apply a style to words or paragraphs.

That would be layout (largely justification) based upon the entire paragraph, rather than line-by-line. LaTex has done that forever. InDesign does it. But most don't. 

Justified Word documents look funky because it justifies by line by inserting space. 

Beyond better look, a benefit of paragraph composition is that relatively small paragraphs do not cause the paragraph length to change much. If you have a document with manual references (e.g. legal work with a table of authorities), fixing a few characters in a document does not cause much text shifting to pages that throws you references off.

5 hours ago, AllanP said:

I did a very quick test with placing a Word .docx file containing footnotes into a Afpub document and the foitnotes were transferred across. I did then have to make appropriate adjustments via the Notes panel to stop the numbering restarting on every page, etc. But it all went well.

From what I've seen so far, I,'m very impressed and pleased with Affinity v2  

Did the same test, using a Word document with quite a few footnotes. Import was flawless. I have not tested more advanced footnote aspects, but this test shows that at least it covers the minimum that I expected when I purchased V1, so I am happy. I have taken the reduced price offer and will now explore other capabilities. For the moment I am happy, as this was my biggest stumbling block; hopefully I will be pleasantly surprised.

2 hours ago, Jim Slade said:

That would be layout (largely justification) based upon the entire paragraph, rather than line-by-line. LaTex has done that forever. InDesign does it. But most don't. 

Justified Word documents look funky because it justifies by line by inserting space. 

Beyond better look, a benefit of paragraph composition is that relatively small paragraphs do not cause the paragraph length to change much. If you have a document with manual references (e.g. legal work with a table of authorities), fixing a few characters in a document does not cause much text shifting to pages that throws you references off.

There is some control over Justification available via the Paragraph panel allowing some configuration on the Justified Left, Justified Centre, Justified Right, and Justified Right options. Are these of any help?

• Minimum Word Spacing—sets the minimum gap allowed.
  • Desired Word Spacing—sets the preferred gap between words.
  • Maximum Word Spacing—sets the maximum gap allowed.
  • Minimum Letter Spacing—sets the minimum tracking allowed.
  • Desired Letter Spacing—sets the preferred tracking (spacing between letters) within words when a paragraph has a justified alignment.
  • Maximum Letter Spacing—sets the maximum tracking allowed

On 11/8/2022 at 8:24 AM, Ralph said:

... though I still can't help comparing Publisher with my car:

My car has so many "features" that, after a year, I am still discovering the nuances of the parking sensor feature.
It also has all four wheels. My previous car had few features, but it also had 4 wheels. I could use my old car, perhaps with a touch of envy for my neighbour - whose car had lots features, and 4 wheels. I wouldn't envy my neighbour even if his car could fly, if it had a wheel missing.

Afffinity, to me, can orbit the Earth - but Publisher  has a wheel missing,
It is SO frustrating !!!>:(

Was the missing wheel footnotes/endnotes?  Publisher 2 has them!

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

53 minutes ago, AllanP said:

There is some control over Justification available via the Paragraph panel...

But APub still uses line by line justification only. As does QXP et al. 

InDesign offers both types of justification and with those and more options to control justification.

1 hour ago, AllanP said:

There is some control over Justification available via the Paragraph panel allowing some configuration on the Justified Left, Justified Centre, Justified Right, and Justified Right options. Are these of any help?

• Minimum Word Spacing—sets the minimum gap allowed.
  • Desired Word Spacing—sets the preferred gap between words.
  • Maximum Word Spacing—sets the maximum gap allowed.
  • Minimum Letter Spacing—sets the minimum tracking allowed.
  • Desired Letter Spacing—sets the preferred tracking (spacing between letters) within words when a paragraph has a justified alignment.
  • Maximum Letter Spacing—sets the maximum tracking allowed

I am talking about something different. That is, the system formats the entire paragraph (as you type), rather than each line individually. Publisher does not do this [yet?]. Most word formatting applications do not. I do not even believe QUARK does it. Indesign and LaTex do.

A technical article in the subject:

http://www.eprg.org/G53DOC/pdfs/knuth-plass-breaking.pdf

1 minute ago, Amontillado said:

The notes panel allows for customizing the setting for a particular footnote, and also has document-wide settings.

I can't find a way to change the document-wide settings. Anybody know how to do that?

I may have figured this out - if you are focussed on a text frame, you can't set the document-wide options. If you are not focussed on a text frame, you can.

I think...

9 hours ago, Trevor A said:

Jim

I am sure that Serif appreciated your investment, along with those of others (including me!).

Trevor

I have an ancient copy of Creative Suite. It's 32-bit so I can only use it my old macs. I would have upgraded but for Adobe's taxation model under which usesr pay Adobe so they don't have to upgrade the program. It looks like there is more improvement in Affinity in the latest release thank Abode has made to Creative Suite in 15 years.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

I can confirm the recent Affinity V2 betas (2.0.3) are almost entirely fixes and improvements to the apps, unfortunately there are no new features implemented yet, including IDML footnote import, my apologies.

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)