You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

2 hours ago, Seneca said:

I love the video. It's a wonderful teaser.

I had no problem with the video. It simply says there will be an announcement next week.

If the announcement is lame .....  we can savage it.

If the announcement is good news, we can celebrate. That is what I am hoping for. These folks at Affinity have done some impressive work.

12 minutes ago, Jim Slade said:

I had no problem with the video. It simply says there will be an announcement next week.

If the announcement is lame .....  we can savage it.

If the announcement is good news, we can celebrate. That is what I am hoping for. These folks at Affinity have done some impressive work.

I personally do not have much hope.... after 4 years, we still do not have footnotes.

I think we would get an paid update to 2.0.

If there is the footnote/endnote realized, it will be "maybe" worth the money! So for me.
I realized in the last two years with AP an aunnual magazin, and its fun for me to design it with AP. Here is a link to the online edition: magazin.

Servus from Bavaria

Ernie

I hope they put a lot of effort into Designer as well as Publisher as Inkscape leaves it in the dust.

Base Unit: I5 (10th gen.), 6 cores, 12 threads, 24GB Ram, 256GB SSD (Boot), 1TB HDD, Intel 630 (Graphics), Colour Calibrated Monitor and Printer (Courtesy of X-Rite Hardware) - Running MacOS Monterey

Laptop: I5 (6th Gen), 8GB Ram, 128GB nvme, Intel 520 Graphics, Colour calibrated screen(Courtesy of X-Rite Hardware) - Running MacOS Monterey.

Server: i5 (4th Gen). 16GB Ram, nVidia GT 730 (Graphics), 500GB SSD (Boot), 2TB & 1TB HDD (General storage), Running MacOS Catalina

7 hours ago, spinko said:

... and multi-page-spreads and a bunch of other niggling details ... but judging from the video, the new version should be all we are hoping for ... and ... much more 🤪 ... We'll have to see if the hype is justified. I would be prepared to pay for software that can break my dependance on Adobe (but no subscription, please !)

The video tells us exactly NOTHING. Judging by the video, I expect the new version to be "all hat and no cattle" (as they say in Texas).

You are spot on.  No information, no facts, no promises.  I thought that I had seen the wrong video.  They have had fun making that, using staff, time and skills that should have been used developing the programs.  Very disappointing.  The time to celebrate is after a successful release, not before it.

9 hours ago, Will Wallace said:

The video tells us exactly NOTHING. Judging by the video, I expect the new version to be "all hat and no cattle" (as they say in Texas).

Or as we say here, 'all fur coat and no underwear' (we actually name a specific item of underwear, but it is possible that naming it might upset some group or other). Flash video, promising 'something we know you've been waiting for' (only one thing?), which is likely to make every group clamouring for improvements in their particular area hopeit is 'their thing'. I am wondering if the big thing is the total integratio of the products into a single one since the entire ethos of the company currently seems to be focussed on seamless integration. I prefer other programs for some of the things done by Affinity but nothing I have tried yet has come near to matching the quality, effectiveness and ease of PagePlus.

9 hours ago, Will Wallace said:

The video tells us exactly NOTHING.

It tells you that a big "something" will be announced soon. It's what's called "marketing"! – When a big new film is released you get trailers and "teasers" online and in the press, they don't just mention it quietly to their mates!

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

46 minutes ago, MJWHM said:

... nothing I have tried yet has come near to matching the quality, effectiveness and ease of PagePlus.

I just have to say, whenever I read someone praising PagePlus like this, I just have to echo the sentiment. Affinity Publisher still cannot match it for the three characteristics you mentioned.

4 minutes ago, Pedrober said:

I like the Apub interface, much more than the PPlus one. PPlus had a very long history. Apub is still in the 2.0 version (nearly). Please remember what InDesign was in its 2.0 version.

I had PagePlus from a very early iteration, and it usually did what I wanted. But there is a significant difference - the facilities that existed in the most recent version of PP had gone through development by Serif and therefore one might reasonably hope that the ideas and methods might make it easier to adopt them in any new software. The actual programming may be different, but the logic for a particular feature must be the same, surely? If we know that the way to do a particular job is t adjust x or y then it should be  transferable skill. I think the problem has been or is that the company may think that the only significant form of publication is either magazine-style or e-publication. I hope I am wrong, but in truth I have lost a lot of my faith in them and I have backed them since before 2008 (as far back as my emails go).

When comparing an old software with a recent version, we usually tend to overestimate it.

Sim City has been a bestseller since its release. It looked like this:

simcity-1.jpg.708147400f13fd853829ec876df6cdf5.jpg

It now looks like this. What's in common? And yet, we regularly find messages lamenting that the current game does not take up all the concepts of the initial game.

city-xl.thumb.jpg.8c19d4071efaeb23d188c5096e018474.jpg

PagePlus was good software. It was at the time of a very old Windows, and a very small screen, and a a limited operating system. It has as much to do as comparing a bicycle and a latest generation motorcycle. The brake system cannot be the same!

Strongly on November 9th.😀

6 cœurs, 12 processus - Windows 11 pro - 4K - DirectX 12 - Suite universelle Affinity (Affinity  Publisher, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo).

Mais je vous le demande, peut-on imaginer une police sans sérifs ?

Your point is well made and well understood.

But at least the modern motorcycle still has a braking system, just like the old bicycle did and probably an even more effective one...
it hasn't completely thrown away its braking system, in the process of becoming "new".

Anyway, that's enough moaning from a nostalgic PPX9 user. Let's hope November 9th brings enough benefits and features to keep (most) people happy.

☺️

10 minutes ago, PatrickOfLondon said:

Your point is well made and well understood.

But at least the modern motorcycle still has a braking system, just like the old bicycle did and probably an even more effective one...
it hasn't completely thrown away its braking system, in the process of becoming "new".

Anyway, that's enough moaning from a nostalgic PPX9 user. Let's hope November 9th brings enough benefits and features to keep (most) people happy.

☺️

Excellent response. Good to have disagreements without vituperation.

3 hours ago, Pyanepsion said:

PagePlus was good software. It was at the time of a very old Windows, and a very small screen, and a a limited operating system. It has as much to do as comparing a bicycle and a latest generation motorcycle. The brake system cannot be the same!

Strongly on November 9th.😀

True, but PagePlus had ESSENTIAL features (such as footnotes/endnotes) and combination of different files that AP STILL does not have! (Can you imagine a motorcycle without a brake?)

19 hours ago, ernie-f said:

I think we would get an paid update to 2.0.

If there is the footnote/endnote realized, it will be "maybe" worth the money! So for me.

Same here. BUT I am going to make certain before paying a dime that it has the features that I need (including of course footnotes/endnotes). I won't be cheated a second time.

27 minutes ago, Ramon56 said:

BUT I am going to make certain before paying a dime that it has the features that I need (including of course footnotes/endnotes). I won't be cheated a second time.

Cheated?

When Publisher was introduced there was a long public beta period, where users could discover missing functions such as Footnotes. After the beta, users could have a 10-day Trial period. And even an additional 14-day money-back guarantee period if they purchased directly from Serif, for a total of a 24-day trial period.

Additionally, the marketing material in the Affinity Store listed all the functions the program provided.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

9 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Cheated?

When Publisher was introduced there was a long public beta period, where users could discover missing functions such as Footnotes. After the beta, users could have a 10-day Trial period. And even an additional 14-day money-back guarantee period if they purchased directly from Serif, for a total of a 24-day trial period.

Additionally, the marketing material in the Affinity Store listed all the functions the program provided.

No, I don't think so. But maybe expectations where a bit high and it has been literally years these apps have been stuck in version 1.x.