You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

On 6/25/2022 at 5:46 PM, Pyanepsion said:

I have uninstalled my Photo, Designer and Publisher versions on Windows 10 and MacOS, and the Photo and Designer versions were also deleted from my iPads. There is no use for them any more. I don’t think, the licenses will be renewed. Affinity is too slow in its tracks - even making Adobe look like a sprinter at times ;-)

I keep one ooold Windows installation alive for now, to handle old, existing material, if the need should turn up the next year or so. That machine is barely visited once every six months (purely for keeping the old system up to date and running). Except for maintenance and possible emergencies, it has no future use.

Your mileage may vary, and if your needs are covered, good!

In my case: Why continue to waste time on maintaining software no longer in actual use on several platforms? Software lacking key features for many if not most of my use cases.

13 minutes ago, kfriis said:

I have uninstalled […]

All these words just to say goodbye?!? :P

Just kidding, but it is a good thing that people unsatisfied with a software don't insist with it. There is plenty of software for everything, and putting yourself in a situation in which you feel the need to complain is bad for you and for the community.

Paolo

8 hours ago, kfriis said:

In my case: Why continue to waste time on maintaining software no longer in actual use on several platforms? Software lacking key features for many if not most of my use cases.

I find Affinity Photo to be better than Photoshop. So Affinity has crossed one of my Adobe products off my list.

I have bought Affinity Publisher but cannot use it because of the need for footnotes and to be able to break large documents up (Publisher gives a resource error and crashes when I try to import all my book chapters). I keep publisher around in the hope that I can get rid of my 15-year-old copy of InDesign. I view the Publisher license fee as an investment in the future. (But I wish you folks would hurry up on those.)

So I am 50-50 on Affinity, which makes me pretty happy at the moment.

On 4/30/2022 at 4:56 PM, fde101 said:

Pseudorandom likely bad idea of the day:

I wonder sometimes if a feature that would allow a large number of footnotes to be balanced across pages before/after the one the notes are from would be appropriate in some cases.  If you have a tiny number (or no) footnotes on pages 15 and 17 but there are a large number on page 16, then some of the footnotes from 16 would be relocated to page 15 and some to page 17 to help balance them out a bit better...

I can't think of a single style guide that supports this concept. A large footnote that's too big to fit on the bottom of page 16 may be continued onto page 17 (and possibly even onto page 18), but never started on page 15, a page before the location of the footnote reference.

On 6/27/2022 at 5:59 PM, Jim Slade said:

I have bought Affinity Publisher but cannot use it because of the need for footnotes and to be able to break large documents up (Publisher gives a resource error and crashes when I try to import all my book chapters). I keep publisher around in the hope that I can get rid of my 15-year-old copy of InDesign. I view the Publisher license fee as an investment in the future. (But I wish you folks would hurry up on those.)

The predecessor of Affinity Publisher (PagePlus) had the capability to build "books" by including/merging several files. This was a nice workaround to the fact that it took ages to process big files.

If Publisher cannot handle a whole book, then they should consider adding this PagePlus feature.

11 minutes ago, Ramon56 said:

The predecessor of Affinity Publisher (PagePlus) had the capability to build "books" by including/merging several files. This was a nice workaround to the fact that it took ages to process big files.

If Publisher cannot handle a whole book, then they should consider adding this PagePlus feature.

When the Publisher Workbook was produced, Serif indicated that this function had just been developed (but not in time to use for the Workbook) and was expected to be introduced sometime after 1.9. 

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

21 minutes ago, MJWHM said:

So even this feature is not available?

Not yet, no.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Can also confirm the fact, that's it's awful Affinity Publisher has no possibility to make and manage the footnotes. I'm stick now and exact this point and can not do anything. In my opinion it's just a MUST HAVE in a publisher program. So I hope the next release will bring it!

16 hours ago, AllanP said:

This is fine, but the problem is a different one:

On 6/27/2022 at 5:59 PM, Jim Slade said:

I have bought Affinity Publisher but cannot use it because of the need for footnotes and to be able to break large documents up (Publisher gives a resource error and crashes when I try to import all my book chapters).

I have also experienced this issue. It's no good that you can merge different documents if afterwards Publisher crashes because the resulting file is so big that it cannot handle it... PagePlus had also this issue, but the "book" feature did not physically merge the files into a big file, it was only used to perform the final publication, and that worked like a breeze...

18 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

When the Publisher Workbook was produced, Serif indicated that this function had just been developed (but not in time to use for the Workbook) and was expected to be introduced sometime after 1.9. 

Well, I hope it does not take four years (and counting) before it is added, like footnotes.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/22/2022 at 12:13 AM, fde101 said:

Good choice.  (LaTeX)

Yes, from the perspective of book and layout, and being able to focus more on the writing than on the formatting.

That said, publishing on certain services is a <cough> challenge. When a service specifies that they accept PDF, that is only the beginning of a specification. If they really mean PDF/X-1a, then they should plainly state that. If a file is uploaded which is no to that standard, telling the producer that it has "interior corruption" is not a useful response. I lost a month trying to guess the real issue, or even to get an actual technical response.

Yeah, for me Publisher has been pretty useless for the last 3 years. ... and this thread is still active. I am pretty disappointed by Affinity. I really was hoping they'd be a little more responsive to the most obvious things that are still missing ... footnotes, just being one of them. Who is this software directed to ? It's ok for single page or simple spreads but I would rather pay Adobe for InDesign than try to bypass all the lacking stuff with workarounds.

52 minutes ago, spinko said:

Who is this software directed to ? 

Wrong question. Any and all answers will have no useful information for me, the potential user.

Instead ask: Can I use this to do my work? In your case the answer is most likely; No.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 4 weeks later...
12 hours ago, fmommeja said:

Footnotes are the last frontier to reach/overcome InDesign features !
Go for it guys ! :D

And if you implement this as cleverly as you did it with other features, I'll leave Adobe for good. ;-)

I add couple more:

1. The ability to split books into multiple files. My books I have exported get a resource error when I try to import them into Publisher. (as urgent as footnotes).

2. Paragraph composition. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...