You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Request for footnotes / endnotes

I have tried to read through this topic but it's way too big and I don 't seem to have found a solution here.
My request would just be that Affinity Publisher would allow for automatically renumbering note references when one adds, move, or deletes them.
This is a very much needed feature, as sometimes I might have almost 200 endnotes to put in a document that might change afterwards, and this is the only thing that is missing in this software to make it fully usable for me and a 5/5 stars IMO.

I am new here. I have been using AFpublisher for a long time, mostly plain text. Now I want to do some text that is more academic and that needs foot- and end notes. What a surprise: Nothing of that here!

43 pages of posts to this topic don't really help.

Question to Serif: Will we have footnotes in AFpublisher and if so, what is the schedule?

27 minutes ago, Wolfgang P said:

Question to Serif: Will we have footnotes in AFpublisher and if so, what is the schedule?

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

Sorry, but Serif does not answer questions like that, so you are unlikely to get a response from them.

28 minutes ago, Wolfgang P said:

43 pages of posts to this topic don't really help.

This is in the Feedback section of the forums, where we make requests for functional changes to the applications. As you can tell from the length of this thread, many users want the function, and Serif knows that. However, this part of the forums is not where users would share techniques (workarounds) for the lack of functions.

If you want help producing Footnotes and Endnotes with the current version of the application, you should post in the Questions part of forum, and  Users who have managed to find workarounds will probably share their techniques.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 weeks later...

Alex, it took me LESS than a quarter of that time to design the operating system for one of the Eurofighter computers, and THAT was safety critical!

What I don't understand is why Serif is not providing even a basic footnote/endnote capability and later extend to the more sophisticated features.

6 hours ago, Ramon56 said:

What I don't understand is why Serif is not providing even a basic footnote/endnote capability and later extend to the more sophisticated features

4 hours ago, Ramon56 said:

one of the things it controls is the ejection seat, and when the DA6 prototype crashed, it worked like a breeze, saving two lives

Say what?

The DA6 crashed because both engines shut down !!!

I don't think Serif adding a "basic footnote/endnote capability" that crashes all the time is going to go down well with its users

If/when they release it hopefully it will be more stable than the DA6. Publisher does not have ejection seats

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

For those coming late to the footnote/endnote discussion "party"... a workaround for footnotes mentioned many pages ago (no it is not about starting a fairytale😉) is to create endnotes by using a text editor to create endnotes and then import/paste them into Publisher.

I don't need footnotes/endnotes a lot but when I need it I really do need it so hopefully it will be included in the upcoming V2 release that is supposed to be (again hopefully) coming out later this year.

13 hours ago, carl123 said:

The DA6 crashed because both engines shut down !!!

I don't think Serif adding a "basic footnote/endnote capability" that crashes all the time is going to go down well with its users

If/when they release it hopefully it will be more stable than the DA6. Publisher does not have ejection seats

I regret to say that you are badly informed. the DA6 engines did not shut down, they WERE shut down on purpose. It was a test flight, and restart of the engines was tested. First they performed the test by shutting down one single engine, and it worked. then they tried the other engine, and it also restarted correctly. Then they shut off both engines, and it did not work because they had installed two engines of different versions, and THAT had never been requested as a requirement, so the software did not know how to handle this.

It's more or less as if Publisher was supposed to work under Windows and MacOS at the SAME time.

Oh, and I wish Publisher HAD ejection seats - I've lost twice my work because Publisher crashed and was not able to recover it.

P.D. MY software worked perfectly!

2 hours ago, PaoloT said:

(Now I understand why some manufacturers prefer the single-engine design…)

Nonsense. With one single engine, if it fails, you crash. With multiple engines, you continue flying. Why do you think passenger aircraft have two, three or four engines? Even with one single engine you can stay in the air.

I had once a fire on the right-hand engine of my plane when returning from Munich. It looked really scary. The pilot shut it off, pulled the fire extinguishers to get rid of the fire, restarted it, and continued flying. We were not even halfway, but we landed normally on our destination airport. Most passenger didn't even notice that anything had happened, just those looking out the window at that time

BTW, modern computers have multicore processors for the same reasons that aircraft have multiple engines. It's safer, quicker, and if one fails, the others continue working.

They call that redundancy.

2 hours ago, Ramon56 said:

modern computers have multicore processors for the same reasons that aircraft have multiple engines. It's safer, quicker

I don't agree with that. 

Multiple cores does not necessarily mean quicker. It means you can do more things at the same time, which is not the same thing. Sometimes this will be quicker, but not always. And even then certain things will not be quicker than a single core. It depends on what you are doing.

2 hours ago, Ramon56 said:

if one fails, the others continue working

Maybe. I don't know how Windows handles that. I have a lot of experience with Sun machines and Solaris. They (hardware and Solaris) could be configured to handle loss of CPUs. This was considered an advanced feature (and the cost of the equipment was not cheap either). Ever heard of a Bad Trap error? It can come from a cpu (or core) gone bad. The others may or may not carry on working, but that won't help you if the OS itself panics.

I have no idea if the same thing happens on consumer or low end commercial Windows machines or Macs. 

32 minutes ago, garrettm30 said:

Wow, we've taken quite a turn, but at least it is something we haven't covered before in this 43-page thread!

Don’t forget to tune in for the next exciting episode…

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

On 4/24/2022 at 2:01 AM, Arte said:

I don't need footnotes/endnotes a lot but when I need it I really do need it so hopefully it will be included in the upcoming V2 release that is supposed to be (again hopefully) coming out later this year.

Looking forward for Footnote options tool in Publisher.

Btw, how do you know that V2 will be released this year?

17 hours ago, DesignerUSA said:

No one knows that, We also don't know if Footnotes will be added.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

we can always live in hope.

Base Unit: I5 (10th gen.), 6 cores, 12 threads, 24GB Ram, 256GB SSD (Boot), 1TB HDD, Intel 630 (Graphics), Colour Calibrated Monitor and Printer (Courtesy of X-Rite Hardware) - Running MacOS Monterey

Laptop: I5 (6th Gen), 8GB Ram, 128GB nvme, Intel 520 Graphics, Colour calibrated screen(Courtesy of X-Rite Hardware) - Running MacOS Monterey.

Server: i5 (4th Gen). 16GB Ram, nVidia GT 730 (Graphics), 500GB SSD (Boot), 2TB & 1TB HDD (General storage), Running MacOS Catalina

20 hours ago, DesignerUSA said:

The iPad version has been announced (semi-officially?) for this summer. So, maybe the desktop version will come around the same time. Or, they are totally different projects, and they will come when it is time.

No word about the addition of footnotes in either of them, though.

Paolo

22 hours ago, DesignerUSA said:

There was mention of an article earlier in this thread and/or another thread about how Affinity (Designer) was making inroads into the AEC world, in that article it was said that dwg/dxf import was being tested and that V2 is supposed to come out later this year.

Maybe it is better to replace supposed with assumed but I'd be a bit surprised if V2 would not come out this year given that V1 has been released some 5 years ago and new releases/beta versions  are really slow to appear at the moment which makes me think they are focusing on getting V2 ready for release.