You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

9 hours ago, Trevor A said:

As regards layout, WORD "has its own mind" (!) and takes almost total control of layout away from the person preparing the book for printing. 

Trevor, this is probably also the reason why the fact that Word includes footnotes doesn't automatically mean they can be easily included in Publisher. They manage the text frame in a very different way.

For footnotes, I would also add that Mellel manages them a lot better than Word, showing how hard it is designing them.

I also hope Publisher takes more from Mellel than from Word in this area.

Paolo

9 hours ago, DrBob53 said:

You may get on better with Libre Office.

I would suggest to do some tests with fake content before going for the actual one. I tried to do a long work with it a few years ago, and ended up having to remake everything in InDesign.

Paolo

On 2/14/2022 at 8:25 PM, Old Bruce said:

That is to my mind wrong thinking. References are always going to be broken by new editions, that is why the publication's edition number is included in the reference.

The fact there's one convention doesn't mean there's no room for other. And - as I wrote - I'm not expecting to have this implemented with the very next release of Publisher. I'm only providing a context which proves that more flexible approach to Footnotes may be beneficial for some users.

Hello,

It has been a while since I visited this thread to see the progress on implementing footnotes and endnotes in Affinity Publisher. I'm very happy to hear there is some progress seemingly coming this year. In the meantime — and please don't take this the wrong way — the lack of these features in AP has forced me to use Adobe InDesign even more and given me a new appreciation of what ID can do. Before, it was really clunky and slow, but the latest updates to ID running on Apple Silicone make it a whole new experience that is actually... usable (at least for me.)

I still love the potential of Affinity Publisher (especially running on Apple Silicone) and look forward to the new updates.

Keep up the good work

21 hours ago, Eusebius said:

I'm very happy to hear there is some progress seemingly coming this year.

I see no indication of there being any progress.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

17 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

I see no indication of there being any progress.

me neither.  apart from words there is no actual evidence of any progress with the feature since the first beta of publisher came out in 2018.

unless of course someone can show us a screenshot of the testing version which Affinity says is in progress.  Any staff from Affinity / Serif want to prove me wrong.

Steve

Base Unit: I5 (10th gen.), 6 cores, 12 threads, 24GB Ram, 256GB SSD (Boot), 1TB HDD, Intel 630 (Graphics), Colour Calibrated Monitor and Printer (Courtesy of X-Rite Hardware) - Running MacOS Monterey

Laptop: I5 (6th Gen), 8GB Ram, 128GB nvme, Intel 520 Graphics, Colour calibrated screen(Courtesy of X-Rite Hardware) - Running MacOS Monterey.

Server: i5 (4th Gen). 16GB Ram, nVidia GT 730 (Graphics), 500GB SSD (Boot), 2TB & 1TB HDD (General storage), Running MacOS Catalina

On 2/16/2022 at 3:38 PM, Old Bruce said:

(I always want to say feetnote even though I know it is wrong)

*feetsnote :P

On 2/16/2022 at 3:38 PM, Old Bruce said:

Asterisk before Dagger before Pilcrow....

What, no double dagger?? :o

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

On 2/23/2022 at 7:17 PM, Eusebius said:

Hello,

It has been a while since I visited this thread to see the progress on implementing footnotes and endnotes in Affinity Publisher. I'm very happy to hear there is some progress seemingly coming this year. In the meantime — and please don't take this the wrong way — the lack of these features in AP has forced me to use Adobe InDesign even more and given me a new appreciation of what ID can do. Before, it was really clunky and slow, but the latest updates to ID running on Apple Silicone make it a whole new experience that is actually... usable (at least for me.)

I still love the potential of Affinity Publisher (especially running on Apple Silicone) and look forward to the new updates.

Keep up the good work

same here. I ended up with ID again, I only use Affinity Photo regularly by now, but for side projects mostly. it was a shame, because I enthusiastically managed to convince many people to jump to the Affinity package, whereas these feature omissions are rather offputting, once you have to start referencing stuff and keep track of them.

I check these threads from time to time, hopefully we'll get a notification that footnotes/endnotes are included in the next beta. this thread reminds me of the infamous "select same" one, so I accepted by now that my use case is not the target audience for serif.:)

MBP 15" + iPad Pro 10,5"

macOS High Sierra 10.14 | iOS 13 | latest Affinity Photo & Designer & Publisher (and Betas)

another point release and still no footnotes!!!

Base Unit: I5 (10th gen.), 6 cores, 12 threads, 24GB Ram, 256GB SSD (Boot), 1TB HDD, Intel 630 (Graphics), Colour Calibrated Monitor and Printer (Courtesy of X-Rite Hardware) - Running MacOS Monterey

Laptop: I5 (6th Gen), 8GB Ram, 128GB nvme, Intel 520 Graphics, Colour calibrated screen(Courtesy of X-Rite Hardware) - Running MacOS Monterey.

Server: i5 (4th Gen). 16GB Ram, nVidia GT 730 (Graphics), 500GB SSD (Boot), 2TB & 1TB HDD (General storage), Running MacOS Catalina

17 minutes ago, cyberlizard said:

another point release and still no footnotes!!!

Major functions seldom arrive in a point release. In any case, as it wasn't in the 1.10.5 beta it would be very unlikely to be in the 1.10.5 official release.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 minutes ago, Pedrober said:

1.10.5 version? Where? I am using 1.10.4 and if I check for updates, 1.10.4 is the last available version.

It's only available for Windows at this point.

You can find generally find information about the latest releases here (though as I write this the first post is not updated yet): 

The specific announcement about 1.10.5 is here, at the bottom of that topic:

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 2/7/2022 at 1:45 PM, HenrikM said:

Yes, Affinity Publisher is definitely lacking in book publishing features. The lack of footnotes, endnotes, and cross-references, are the worst omissions, but the more I work with the software, the more problems I find.

Still, I do not know of any reasonably priced alternative. I do not want to rent Adobe products, and that makes Affinity Publisher the only game in town.

On the other hand, with a bit of luck, Serif is working on fixing the current shortcomings. I hope they do it before I finish my book. 🙂

Slow as I have been on my own book, I could not wait. Won't rent Adobe, so have been using LaTeX. I've learned more of its internals than I wanted, but the results are very pleasing to me. And yes, I would prefer to use AP, but I need the features of ID, so I had few options.

• 3 weeks later...

Footnotes are evidently a much-wanted feature. Rather than just a +1 from me and Uncle Tom Cobley I'm going to add a feature for the type of footnote that I would like to see.

In addition to the standard one line one footnote, e.g.:

1. Blah.

2. Pies.

3. Cakes.

I would like to see the option to format them on one line: 1. Blah. 2. Pies. 3. Cakes.

Alas this is a feature that my usual fall back LibreOffice cannot do, and the workaround for 40+ footnotes is far too time consuming. 

Perhaps other people have their own ideas about what is meant by Footnotes. If not the 'standard' one line one footnote, it would be good to add it here.

Well, it is normal to start each footnote on a new line.

Part of any footnotes feature includes what it does if there is not space to print the whole of the footnote at the bottom of the page where the reference arises.  In such cases, some programs put a horizontal line the full width of the second page above the footnotes, to show that the footnote is continued from the previous page.

It is clearly desirable that there should be some details and options that would, at least to some extent, be adjustable by the user.

29 minutes ago, Trevor A said:

Part of any footnotes feature includes what it does if there is not space to print the whole of the footnote at the bottom of the page where the reference arises.

I anticipate doing this by having a configurable (removable) line break between foot notes. 

My purpose: I have a text which fits on one page, and has about 40 foot notes. Each of these foot notes is no more than 3 words at most. My 40 lines of foot notes is now longer than the page of text. 

24 minutes ago, LondonSquirrel said:

I have a text which fits on one page, and has about 40 foot notes. Each of these foot notes is no more than 3 words at most. My 40 lines of foot notes is now longer than the page of text.

This certainly sounds like an uncommon writing style.  Bearing in mind that non-academic readers often do not read footnotes, would it perhaps be better to include some of this information within the text, perhaps in brackets?

8 minutes ago, Trevor A said:

This certainly sounds like an uncommon writing style.  Bearing in mind that non-academic readers often do not read footnotes, would it perhaps be better to include some of this information within the text, perhaps in brackets?

No, it would break up the text far too much. Just imagine your sentence which I have quoted here with 5 or 6 brackets within it. It is an academic text, and some readers will not need all of the foot notes.

23 hours ago, LondonSquirrel said:

Each of these foot notes is no more than 3 words at most. 

Include the two or three words in the text.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.