You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

9 minutes ago, NNN said:

I thik it will be their flagship feature for the v 2.0

Perhaps. I am okay with that, if 2.0 is approaching soon. Although Publisher (starting with 1.7) was out just 26 months ago, the 1.0 line of Affinity has been going since, what, 2014 with no paid update yet? If a paid 2.0 is in Serif’s plans for the near future, I would not balk.

9 minutes ago, NNN said:

Me too. I bought Publisher at launch, hoping the footnotes were a beta away... I'm still paying for InDesign (footnotes are essential in my work), but I love the Affinity suite and desperately want to say goodbye to Adobe.

1 hour ago, NNN said:

It would certainly seem, going on how important a lot of people think footnotes and endnotes are, that this could well be a feature that Serif use to help sell version 2! 😉

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

It would be nice to have a comment from Affinity, given the clear interest in this issue - it's not obvious how to ask them - is there an easy way?

As a workaround, Affinity says Designer accepts Word imports.  Can you work with Word within Designer?  If you have to come out of Designer to make changes to the Word generated text, is it straightforward slotting the new text in - which may include new footnotes - or does it get somewhat messy?

46 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

It would certainly seem, going on how important a lot of people think footnotes and endnotes are, that this could well be a feature that Serif use to help sell version 2! 😉

But we don't even know when a version 2 will be out. Maybe after version 1.9.19, or it will be 1.9.20.

As you say above: buy the software for what it does, not for what you expect it to do.

As for me, while still working in InDesign, I often fire up Publisher to check what I would like it to do, well knowing it is not yet doing.

Paolo

18 minutes ago, Marathon1908 said:

As a workaround, Affinity says Designer accepts Word imports.  Can you work with Word within Designer?  If you have to come out of Designer to make changes to the Word generated text, is it straightforward slotting the new text in - which may include new footnotes - or does it get somewhat messy?

I would not use Designer for any importing of a Word Document that has more than a half quarter page of text in it.

You will have to reimport and then reapply the styles etc every time you  use Microsoft Word to make a change in the Word Document.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I use Publisher only for books... and the lack of footnotes and end notes is so horrifying that for my next technical book I intend to make the formatting in Word. Yes, you heard that right, in Word.

It's far simpler to format Word for producing a print-ready document with many footnotes/end notes than trying to do that in Publisher.

If I had know this when I bought the program years ago, I would not have bought Publisher in the first place.

6 hours ago, PaoloT said:

But we don't even know when a version 2 will be out. Maybe after version 1.9.19, or it will be 1.9.20.

We at least know it won’t be 1.9.19 or 1.9.20, because we are already beyond those. Currently we are at 1.10.4 (or 1.10.5 in beta). But your general point is valid. Will there be a 1.11, 1.12, 1.13, etc. before 2.0? We have no way to know.

lots of people claim on behalf of Serif that footnotes / endnotes are expected to be added at some point in the future.

apart from the presumption this will be the case, can anyone actually provide any solid proof of the matter?

Steve

Base Unit:  Standard model M1 Mac Mini - until such time as I can afford a new or used Studio - albeit running its OS from an external NVMe (2TB).

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro Retina - i7, 16GB, 2TB SSD

Server: Mac Mini 2014 - i5, 16GB, 2TB SSD

Workshop: HP G4 running as a Hackintosh until more funds can be found to upgrade it.

Software:  Affinity Suite (ver. 2), Office 365, Fusion360, OnShape, Carbide Create, Cura, Inkscape

23 minutes ago, cyberlizard said:

lots of people claim on behalf of Serif that footnotes / endnotes are expected to be added at some point in the future.

apart from the presumption this will be the case, can anyone actually provide any solid proof of the matter?

Steve

Last year Patrick Connor, from Serif, said in the forum: "The Footnotes/Endnotes feature is not currently ready and so we cannot be fairly accused holding it back on purpose. I see why it may appear that way, but I try to be as honest as possible in all my dealings here on these forums, but without breaking company confidences, and I can honestly say this feature is not being held back, it is simply not ready yet." (my emphasis)

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

4 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

Last year Patrick Connor, from Serif, said in the forum: "The Footnotes/Endnotes feature is not currently ready and so we cannot be fairly accused holding it back on purpose. I see why it may appear that way, but I try to be as honest as possible in all my dealings here on these forums, but without breaking company confidences, and I can honestly say this feature is not being held back, it is simply not ready yet." (my emphasis)

what company confidences are being broken by being honest about the matter.  transparency makes it more trustworthy.

for all we know they may have started it and given it up as a bad job.

would Patrick himself like to come back to us on behalf of the company and provide an update?

Steve

Base Unit:  Standard model M1 Mac Mini - until such time as I can afford a new or used Studio - albeit running its OS from an external NVMe (2TB).

Workshop: HP G4 running as a Hackintosh until more funds can be found to upgrade it.

Software:  Affinity Suite (ver. 2), Office 365, Fusion360, OnShape, Carbide Create, Cura, Inkscape

4 minutes ago, cyberlizard said:

what company confidences are being broken by being honest about the matter. 

I think this needs to be taken in context of the whole thread. If you want to read it all, just search the forums (as I did!) 😉

Just now, PaulEC said:

I think this needs to be taken in context of the whole thread. If you want to read it all, just search the forums (as I did!) 😉

I think you will find I have been involved in this thread for more than a couple of years, so I am pretty much aware of the general content.

Steve

• Staff
2 hours ago, cyberlizard said:

Solid Proof?

As has been seen from politics in the last 5 years or more, words are not seen as solid proof, pictures are not seen as solid proof, peer reviewed science is not seen as solid proof. All is apparently conjecture and opinion.

(my opinion is that) Footnotes and Endnotes will be available next year (but I am still waiting for solid proof) 

What "Solid Proof" would you believe?

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

2 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

Solid Proof?

As has been seen from politics in the last 5 years or more, words are not seen as solid proof, pictures are not seen as solid proof, peer reviewed science is not seen as solid proof. All is apparently conjecture and opinion.

(my opinion is that) Footnotes and Endnotes will be available next year (but I am still waiting for solid proof) 

What "Solid Proof" would you believe?

Something directly released by Serif which explicitly states that the feature is currently still being actively developed or something or an internal memo... anything definitive really.  At the moment we have none despite this thread having been going since 2018.

As I noted in the early stages Patrick, you, yourself said it was in development but would not be released until the feature was done.  How far along with that process are they?  Have they put the feature on the back-burner while they focus on the more profitable Photo and Designer applications.  Are we able to see any screenshots of the feature being tested.

I think these sort of things might set many people's minds at some ease.

Steve

16 minutes ago, Trevor A said:

Steve
I think that Patrick would be justified if he felt insulted by your comment.  You are saying that you do not believe him / do not trust him - at least, that's what it sounds like to me!
Trevor

it is not intended... but it has been close to three years since Patrick and Dave Harris began discussing it in a meaningful way, and yet here we still are.

maybe Dave Harris, assuming he is still on the development team might want to chip in.

Steve