You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

12 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

I would hate that as a reader. I would avoid buying from that Publishing house and Author in future.

Affinity Publisher aspires to cover an extremely broad spectrum of publications from the trivial or entertaining to the classics (look at some of their training videos), reference works and academic publications.  Each of these is likely to be of interest to different types of readers and for different purposes.  I occasionally read hobby magazines (and even some of the articles in them have footnotes), but I also read - and write - academic textbooks.  I do not expect everyone to want to read what I write, but there are certain people who do wish to.

20 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

I would hate that as a reader. I would avoid buying from that Publishing house and Author in future.

Different types of publications are for different readers.  I occasionally read hobby magazines (and even some of the articles in them have footnotes!).  I also read - and write - academic books and reference books.  I don't expect everyone to find them interesting, but there is a sector of the public that is interested in the subject areas on which I write.  Affinity Publisher clearly aims to cater for an extremely wide range of publications, from brochures or publicity to reference books, with everything in between.  At the moment it falls down in some of these areas, which is the subject of this thread.  I hope that they will soon be able to rectify those shortcomings.

6 minutes ago, NNN said:
  1. Tablenotes are used to explain some text placed within the cells of the table and they are positioned at tne bottom of the table.

I call those Captions. 

I am well aware of the needs of the manuals of style for the various schools. Some are quite rigid others rather flexible.

I would argue that a Bibliography is just that. In no way is it an endnote. You may be thinking of Citations.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Just now, Old Bruce said:

I call those Captions. 

Captions and tablenotes are completelly different terms.

Captions are used to describe the tables, photos, charts, drawings... and tablenotes have the same functionality of the footnotes, but they explain the text which is located in a cell of a table.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

Example from internet:

The first row "Table 1..." is the caption and the rows starting with small letters (a, b, c, d) bellow the table are table (foot)notes.

internet.png

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

47 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

People have been talking about needing Footnotes and Endnotes at the end of sections as well as the end of the publication or perhaps Sections, Chapters and the whole publication. In one Publication, Book or Magazine.

Almost ALL scientific books have those!

8 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

I call those Captions. 

I am well aware of the needs of the manuals of style for the various schools. Some are quite rigid others rather flexible.

I would argue that a Bibliography is just that. In no way is it an endnote. You may be thinking of Citations.

@Old Bruce Hello, Old Bruce. Reading you, you are not familiar with academic and scientific publishing practices. Don’t worry, you can find them here:

https://apastyle.apa.org/

This is a style guide now used by almost all academics, regardless of their field of work. This association does not like notes very much, because they believe that everything that needs to be said should be said directly in the body of the text, and that if it only serves to add details that are not relevant, it has no place. They want to avoid so-called German-style books that create a second book within the book.

Notes, however, are a big part of their manual, because they are indispensable. My most recent work of this type involved a small historical book for the general public. It was 180 pages long and had 70 notes of all kinds.

You can find the APA manual in most major bookstores.

For fiction, these are more like footnotes to explain a foreign or infrequent word, or to refer to another book by the author. And so on.

6 cœurs, 12 processus - Windows 11 pro - 4K - DirectX 12 - Suite universelle Affinity (Affinity  Publisher, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo).

Mais je vous le demande, peut-on imaginer une police sans sérifs ?

I am contemplating buying Affinity Publisher for Mac, but understand that it still does not support footnotes and endnotes.  In all the 37 pages in this forum on the topic I haven't found anything suggesting that the facility has been introduced, or is going to be introduced shortly.  My forthcoming book has hundreds of endnotes, mostly source references, to go at the end of each chapter, and Affinity Publisher will not be of any use to me if they are not supported.  Can anyone tell me what the present position is?

13 minutes ago, J@HWC said:

The summary is they are aware of the issue and intent to address it sometime in the future,

This is not an issue. It is a feature that is expected in a near future.

5 minutes ago, NNN said:

This is not an issue.

For many of us here, it IS an issue.  For me and probably the person I responded to, the entire program is useless without that "feature."  That makes this a MAJOR issue for us.  Btw, what info do you have that it will be added in the "near future?"  I've been waiting 3 years for it so far.  I never would've purchased the software if I had known.  I didn't think it was remotely possible that anyone would release publishing software that couldn't do this.  Even single sheet fliers often have footnotes.

11 minutes ago, NNN said:

It is a feature that is expected in a near future.

More precisely, it's a feature that users hope to see added in the near future.  I have not seen any indication or even hint from Serif of when they hope to release this.  Marathon1908's book could be printed, published and even sold out before this feature appears.

10 minutes ago, J@HWC said:

I never would've purchased the software if I had known.

There is a trial period for any Affinity software. Why you bought it before trying it first?

11 minutes ago, J@HWC said:

For many of us here, it IS an issue. 

No, this is not an issue. Real issue is that I am waiting for years Microsoft to add complete video capabilities into Notepad, which makes me really nervouus. :)

As has been mentioned a number of times in these forums, you should buy software based on what it does, not on what it might, or you hope/expect, it will do in the future. There is a 10 day free trial so you can check if it is what you need. (It's really no excuse to say that you just assumed it would be included, without bothering to check out the features before purchase.) There is also a 14 day period after purchase when you can get a refund. I find it difficult to believe that if a particular feature is so important, you don't notice that it is missing after a 10 day trial and 14 days of use!

I appreciate how important this feature is to some people, (I would like it myself) but for many other users it is something that they don't need and can easily do without.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

2 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

I appreciate how important this feature is to some people, (I would like it myself)

Yes, I'm waiting for it impatiently to leave InDesign as I did with Photoshop and Illustrator.

1 minute ago, NNN said:

There is a trial period for any Affinity software.

I bought it when it was on sale, but didn't need to use it until more than a couple weeks later.  But again, why would I bother with testing out every "feature" of a piece of software that I couldn't even imagine wouldn't exist??  It was billed as a cheaper alternative for the premier publishing software.  I wanted to start using more professional publishing software.  I had never used before, so I wouldn't have even known what to look for if I had tested it out.  Also, the constant stream of people asking so many useless questions like yours and the answers to them like mine are a big reason this thread is 37 pages long.

Seeing yet more responses.  Holy f***, why is it so hard for people to understand that there might be a feature you'd assume software can do?  For example, you'd expect a word processor to be able to capitalize letters.  Also, why is it so damn hard for people to understand you might not immediately spend weeks intensely using software you've purchased?  It's USELESS to be asking this crap NOW!!!  I HAVE the damn software.  I STILL want to be able to use it.  All I'm asking for is they implement something that seems like an exceptionally basic part of what publishing software should be able to do.  They've been saying they will get to it soon for three damn years.

2 hours ago, PaulEC said:

As has been mentioned a number of times in these forums, you should buy software based on what it does, not on what it might, or you hope/expect, it will do in the future. There is a 10 day free trial so you can check if it is what you need. (It's really no excuse to say that you just assumed it would be included, without bothering to check out the features before purchase.) There is also a 14 day period after purchase when you can get a refund. I find it difficult to believe that if a particular feature is so important, you don't notice that it is missing after a 10 day trial and 14 days of use!

Paul

You seem to be demonstrating here a surprising lack of consideration for the real-life situation of people.  When I upgraded, decades ago, from SuperCalc to Excel, I didn't imagine that there would be things that SuperCalc could do that Excel couldn't do, but I didn't have time to abandon other commitments, sit down and run tests on Excel.  Likewise, when I changed from LocoScript word processor on the Amstrad PCW 8256 to Word for Windows (as it was then called) on a PC, I couldn't down tools and test out Word.  Of course, both Excel and Word could do everything that the older programs did, and more, but it probably took me months to find that out.  I was too busy earning a living!

When I bought Affinity Publisher, it was because reviews praised it highly and there was a special offer, so I jumped (also with Affinity Photo).  Nothing I read said that Publisher couldn't handle footnotes.  The idea would have been preposterous, as if Excel couldn't add up numbers!

With any new software there is also a steep learning curve, which takes most people who also have other commitments many weeks, or even months.  When I started working on a book in Affinity Publisher and came to the first time that I needed to use a footnote, I assumed that it was a lack of knowledge on my part that meant I couldn't do it.  With most software, there is an easy answer. One just needs to find it.  It was inconceivable to me that Affinity Publisher did not support a basic function that I had been using in Word for decades.

So, come on Serif, this thread is so long because many people who believed the publicity and bought the program are so totally dissatisfied, frustrated and disillusioned that a program that promises so much cannot do a basic, routine operation.

This really does using Affinity Publisher for many forms of writing unusable.

Trevor

2 hours ago, Trevor A said:

Nothing I read said that Publisher couldn't handle footnotes. 

As has also been pointed out several times, you can't expect an advert to tell you what isn't included! 😉

Also, if reviewers don't mention it, it's probably because they don't think it's particularly important!

Don't get me wrong, I'm all in favour of having footnotes and endnotes, and I do think Serif are taking their time implementing these features. But I simply don't believe that for the majority of users they are that important.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

@PaulEC No feature is used all the time. It is so obvious that note calls must exist that no one is going to specifically check that feature if they don’t need it at the time. New software is not learned in a snap either.

Personally, it took me 2 or 3 weeks, in fact, at the time I needed it, to realize the unthinkable: this DTP program does not know note calls, does not know variable fonts, does not export to certain font categories, and has to order translators who do not know the language they are translating into, nor the features of the program (Yes! Google Translate is not everything!) Serif’s answer is always: ‘I heard you.’ Yes, but they obviously did not understand the urgency of correcting some aberrations. Hence the understandable annoyance.

6 cœurs, 12 processus - Windows 11 pro - 4K - DirectX 12 - Suite universelle Affinity (Affinity  Publisher, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo).

Mais je vous le demande, peut-on imaginer une police sans sérifs ?

5 hours ago, Marathon1908 said:

I am contemplating buying Affinity Publisher for Mac, but understand that it still does not support footnotes and endnotes.  In all the 37 pages in this forum on the topic I haven't found anything suggesting that the facility has been introduced, or is going to be introduced shortly.  My forthcoming book has hundreds of endnotes, mostly source references, to go at the end of each chapter, and Affinity Publisher will not be of any use to me if they are not supported.  Can anyone tell me what the present position is?

4 hours ago, Trevor A said:

More precisely, it's a feature that users hope to see added in the near future.  I have not seen any indication or even hint from Serif of when they hope to release this.

It has been a while since we have heard a direct statement from Serif, but here are the latest statements that I am aware of. I have referred back to these a few times before in this thread, but as discussion moves on (or goes in circles, depending on how you want to look at it), they keep getting buried.

On 5/30/2020 at 1:17 PM, Patrick Connor said:

Serif are currently in the process of implementing this. It needs to be done carefully, not just thrown in, and we do always have the issue of programming resources. Thank you all for your patience, it will be rewarded.

On 12/3/2020 at 7:26 AM, Patrick Connor said:

The Footnotes/Endnotes feature is not currently ready and so we cannot be fairly accused holding it back on purpose. I see why it may appear that way, but I try to be as honest as possible in all my dealings here on these forums, but without breaking company confidences, and I can honestly say this feature is not being held back, it is simply not ready yet.

So I believe we can conclude at least these two things:

1. Serif has already made the decision to implement footnotes/endnotes. It is no longer just a mere hope of we users.
  2. Serif has already put some work into making that happen.

Those quotations are now getting old. Although work was being done (maybe is still being done?), it was not at that time in a satisfactory state for beta release. One would hope that after these many months the feature is a good deal further along, but we haven’t heard. It is also possible that work is far enough now that we are just waiting on the next major beta to drop. That is my current expectation when I interpret the above quotations with wishful thinking.

My advice for now would be:

1. Don’t count on using Publisher for footnotes if your work depends on it now. Although we know they are intended eventually, we cannot know for sure when they will eventually release, or even that their first release will satisfy your use for them.
  2. We don’t need to spend further effort trying to argue why Serif should implement them. Serif is already convinced.

11 minutes ago, garrettm30 said:

It is also possible that work is far enough now that we are just waiting on the next major beta to drop.

I thik it will be their flagship feature for the v 2.0