You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

It’s much rarer, but I see this in English, for example: Isn’t it?

6 cœurs, 12 processus - Windows 11 pro - 4K - DirectX 12 - Suite universelle Affinity (Affinity  Publisher, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo).

Mais je vous le demande, peut-on imaginer une police sans sérifs ?

1 hour ago, Ramon56 said:

Regarding the issue of apostrophe, I wonder whether that also occurs in English?

Apostrophe is, of course, used in English for elision of characters. No extra space is added in that case.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I must say that I prefer to compose in WORD and paste the text into Publisher, once I believe that I have finished it.  That way I automatically get smart quotes and one or two other options that I have set up in WORD.  However, for a relatively small correction or improvement, I obviously do that directly in Publisher, and that might extend from a couple of words to a small paragraph.

what have apostrophes and quotation marks got to do with footnotes and endnotes?

does this thread need splitting?

Base Unit:  Standard model M1 Mac Mini - until such time as I can afford a new or used Studio - albeit running its OS from an external NVMe (2TB).

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro Retina - i7, 16GB, 2TB SSD

Server: Mac Mini 2014 - i5, 16GB, 2TB SSD

Workshop: HP G4 running as a Hackintosh until more funds can be found to upgrade it.

Software:  Affinity Suite (ver. 2), Office 365, Fusion360, OnShape, Carbide Create, Cura, Inkscape

On 10/25/2021 at 6:55 AM, Pyanepsion said:

They decided to put a space in front of the apostrophe because in their regional language, the apostrophe is used for quotes.

In British English — but less commonly in American English, where double quotation marks are generally used for direct speech — an single quotation mark is either straight (') or curly (‘) but in its curly version only a closing single quotation mark looks like an apostrophe (’). We would always write 'orange' or ‘orange’, never ’orange’, so there is no reason for a space to be inserted in front of a curly apostrophe.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

It looks like the way they write English in your country is similar to the way we write it down here in the south!  😃  (P.S.  I was awarded a Ph.D. by St Andrews University, so they were obviously able to read my English, and the other languages that I used in my thesis!  My wife and I also lived in Perth for two years.)

On 9/12/2021 at 10:52 AM, cyberlizard said:

herein lies the problem.  there is a lack of communication on the matter

What is there to communicate about?  As far as I can tell this thread contains roughly one page of relevant content, about 2 pages of irrelevant content that should have been in other threads, and about 32.5 pages of pointless repetition combined with meaningless fluff that never should have been posted at all.  It would be a waste of time for Serif to respond to the fluff, and the fact that they spend time even reading it means it will probably take them that much longer to get this (and other important features) implemented.

Incessantly pesting them about it is very likely the digital version of shooting yourself in the foot.

(Why am I even bothering to type this...?)

Let's make an assumption that Serif tells us that a future version of Publisher will contain footnotes and endnotes. Does this mean that we would then be now able to use it for documents with footnotes and endnotes?

Paolo

7 hours ago, PaoloT said:

Let's make an assumption that Serif tells us that a future version of Publisher will contain footnotes and endnotes. Does this mean that we would then be now able to use it for documents with footnotes and endnotes?

Serif have said that they are planning to add footnotes and endnotes at some point in the future. However (unless you have a time machine) that does not mean that you are able to use them now

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

4 hours ago, PaulEC said:

Serif have said that they are planning to add footnotes and endnotes at some point in the future. However (unless you have a time machine) that does not mean that you are able to use them now

I have a sneaking suspicion that what he (or she) meant was that if a file is imported in Publisher which contains footnotes, will the new system be smart enough to recognise the underlying text contains them and take steps to add them.  

Hopefully the author will be able to clarify what they meant, but I suspect the above.

Steve

Base Unit:  Standard model M1 Mac Mini - until such time as I can afford a new or used Studio - albeit running its OS from an external NVMe (2TB).

Workshop: HP G4 running as a Hackintosh until more funds can be found to upgrade it.

Software:  Affinity Suite (ver. 2), Office 365, Fusion360, OnShape, Carbide Create, Cura, Inkscape

I would certainly hope that when documents with footnotes prepared in Word are imported (pasted?) into that future version of Affinity Publisher, it will handle the footnotes appropriately.  I am certain that very little actual composition takes place in Serif Affinity Publisher.  The world-leader for word-processing is MS Word.  Any program that can't recognise footnotes in a Word document and make them into footnotes in Publisher would not be handling footnotes adequately.

Handling footnotes of course also includes correct sequential numbering of footnotes, with this numbering being automatically corrected within Affinity Publisher if a footnote is subsequently deleted or an extra footnote is added within Publisher.  It also includes automatically creating the correct amount of space for footnotes, with characteristics obviously definable in advance (or subsequently) by the user, such as font, font size and style, justification or not, etc.

I have no doubt that the staff at Serif will be aware of this, and I expect them to come up with a great solution that will be a significant improvement on the features offered by MS Word - but as a first stage it will also need to import documents from Word and process them correctly without intervention from the user.

Trevor

4 hours ago, cyberlizard said:

Hopefully the author will be able to clarify what they meant, but I suspect the above.

Just trying to share the bad feelings of all those who buy a software based on perspective features, and feel outraged by the lack of them in the current version!

Paolo

3 hours ago, Trevor A said:

Perhaps they realise that they have lost the market for serious publishing software

Is "serious" publishing software identified by the ability of making footnotes and endnotes? If I'm not wrong, XPress only recently added this feature. And it came late to InDesign.

As far as I know, most "serious" publishing software is used to make brochures, posters, narrative books, with academic publications only taking a very small share of the professional publishing market.

It's something that will be important to have, to compete by numbers with the market leader, but I personally don't see this feature as the one that would appeal to a very high number of users.

Paolo

3 hours ago, DrBob53 said:

I was interested to note that MS Publisher 2019 does not include any footnote/endnote capability.

hence the reason no one buys it anymore.   it has not seen any meaningful updates for ages.  In fact when you look on the Microsoft website, it hardly gets a mention.

Microsoft Publisher unless Microsoft decides to do some serious work on it is effectively dead.

Steve

I note that a number of brochures by camera manufacturers use footnotes for details that they don't want to put in the main text.  We are talking here of leaflets that may be 4 - 16 pages long, used as publicity to promote sales, so these are not academic publications.

2 minutes ago, Trevor A said:

I note that a number of brochures by camera manufacturers use footnotes for details that they don't want to put in the main text.  We are talking here of leaflets that may be 4 - 16 pages long, used as publicity to promote sales, so these are not academic publications.

But that kind of foot/sidenote, appearing in very short publications, are probably made manually with floating frames, allowing for free placement in the page. (I have done several of these things myself for that kind of material).

Paolo

Indeed.  The 4-page brochure is at one extreme and the 500-page book is at the other.  In my experience, even adding notes manually in a ten-page introduction is tedious and prone to the occurrence of errors or less-than-ideal formatting solutions.