You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Am currently trying to do "final"! edit. Affinity Publisher keeps locking up.  This is just not viable for professional use!  I have had to resort to forcing the program to close and even to re-booting the computer.

The main problem I have with creating footnotes manually is getting the numbering to automatically follow typographic standards. The footnote number increases well, but I can’t figure out how to automatically give it a character style, e.g. 70% font size, 60% vertical offset, thin space just after the number.

6 cœurs, 12 processus - Windows 11 pro - 4K - DirectX 12 - Suite universelle Affinity (Affinity  Publisher, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo).

Mais je vous le demande, peut-on imaginer une police sans sérifs ?

Sorry, I'm not the one to help with this.  I hope that someone else will be able to help you.  (I am having the time to write these replies while I wait for Affinity Publisher to respond to me after a minor change!)

11 hours ago, Pyanepsion said:

The main problem I have with creating footnotes manually is getting the numbering to automatically follow typographic standards. The footnote number increases well, but I can’t figure out how to automatically give it a character style, e.g. 70% font size, 60% vertical offset, thin space just after the number

Pyanepsion, I tried that also and gave up. This is how my footers look like - and yes, it's from a fiction book.

BTW, I just crashed  Affinity Publisher, and I have no clue of what caused it... I was not doing anything special...

Pie_de_pagina_SofiaJPG.JPG

Sorry, I'm not the one to help with this.  I hope that someone else will be able to help you.  (I am having the time to write these replies while I wait for Affinity Publisher to respond to me after a minor change!)

Ramón

Very interesting quote.  I am sure that I read Calderón's book many years ago, but I don't remember the contents.

Affinity Publisher repeatedly crashed on me yesterday and I ended up having to spend many hours re-creating the latest version of the book from an older version saved a few days ago.  The program just not seem viable for professional work.

Trevor

12 hours ago, Trevor A said:

Ramón

Very interesting quote.  I am sure that I read Calderón's book many years ago, but I don't remember the contents.

Affinity Publisher repeatedly crashed on me yesterday and I ended up having to spend many hours re-creating the latest version of the book from an older version saved a few days ago.  The program just not seem viable for professional work.

Trevor

Well, in this case it was capable of restoring "most" of changes. luckily, I am a bit paranoid about applications, and try not to spend more than 15 minutes without saving something... :)

Here is the full referenced quote, in the original and a free translation into English:

¿Qué es la vida? Una ilusión,
una sombra, una ficción,
y el mayor bien es pequeño;
que toda la vida es sueño,
y los sueños, sueños son.

What is life? It's an illusion,

a shadow, a fiction,

and the greatest good is just small,

for all life is a dream,

and dreams are just dreams.

I had saved the previous version on Saturday and had backed it up onto a different computer.  On Sunday I spent hours working on the file, saving it regularly, but not copying it this time to another computer.  On Monday I opened it successfully, but while working on it, it repeatedly crashed and eventually wouldn't open the file at all, thus losing all work done on Sunday and on Monday morning.  I had to spend the rest of Monday updating Saturday's version with the changes that I had introduced in about ten hours of work since then.  I got there, but this should not be necessary.

Thank you for the excellent translation.  I read "La vida es sueño" in Spanish as an undergraduate, but that was a long time ago.

As said, I am a bit paranoid about losing my work, so I have a special "work " directory that is continuopusly backed up every 10 minutes to a separate drive, always keeping all versions of the last three days. I learned this lesson after completely losing two hard disks.

Now, about this kind of crashes: I work at an aerospace company and developed airborne software for a 4th generation fighter. It is unstable, so it can make dramatic turns. But this means that without software it will fly like a brick. On the other hand, most modern passenger aircraft can fly and even land without a pilot. So you can imagine the reliability that I am expecting. Even if it is not failure-safe, at least it should degrade carefully, and not make absolute crashes. Can you imagine approaching a runway with 300 passengers aboard and the software suddenly dies? :(

True, commercial software does not need to be as safe as that of an aircraft, but at least it should not crash completely and it should be able to recover most of your work.

Edited by Ramon56

8 hours ago, Ramon56 said:

Can you imagine approaching a runway with 300 passengers aboard and the software suddenly dies? :(

Yes. :(

Original article in French https://www.rocketprojet.com/29-bugs-informatiques-catastrophe/

Article translated into English https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https://www.rocketprojet.com/29-bugs-informatiques-catastrophe/

6 cœurs, 12 processus - Windows 11 pro - 4K - DirectX 12 - Suite universelle Affinity (Affinity  Publisher, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo).

Mais je vous le demande, peut-on imaginer une police sans sérifs ?

Ramón

I absolutely see your point.  I do have automatic backup to an external hard drive, using standard Windows software, but the one time that I used it I discovered that it has serious fundamental flaws: it renames every single file that it saves by adding a date stamp TO THE NAME.  As I run two websites, this meant that both of them totally failed to work when using the backup version, as every link (thousands of them!) looks for a file that appears to be no longer there!  Recovered files have to be individually re-opened and re-saved manually to their original name for the links to work.  The automatically re-named backup files then need to be deleted to avoid cluttering the directory or the website server.  The backup files cannot be renamed to their original names from within file manager.

For my current book, which has over 260 large image files, it was best to make the Affinity Publisher file link to these images, rather than to embed them within the file.  Restoring from the automatic backup, none of these links would have worked.

There must be better backup software out there!

Trevor

Thank you.  No.  I will have to look at this.  However, Affinity Publisher clearly corrupted the file and was (and is) unable to open it, so that version cannot be rescued andit  has had to be re-created manually.

May I suggest you transfer issues with file management etc. to another thread. That would allow this thread to focus on the issue of the lack of footnotes in Affinity Publisher.

A final thought: have you tried "Goodsync" for file backup?

And a final, final, thought: a "proper" backup system will add something to the file name each time it is saved. That is the only way of making sure every version can be held in perpetuity.

15 hours ago, Ramon56 said:

la vida es sueño

In your previous post the screenshot shows a footnote with the title of the work in italics, except for the “e” in the word “sueño”.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

On 7/28/2021 at 11:45 AM, Alfred said:

In your previous post the screenshot shows a footnote with the title of the work in italics, except for the “e” in the word “sueño”.

Thanks, I spotted it myself because of the screenshot. I am now reviewing all footnotes one by one.

Affinity, come on with footnotes or endnotes or both already, I'm losing the will to live.

One, not happy, Photo and Designer customer!

Base Unit:  Standard model M1 Mac Mini - until such time as I can afford a new or used Studio - albeit running its OS from an external NVMe (2TB).

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro Retina - i7, 16GB, 2TB SSD

Server: Mac Mini 2014 - i5, 16GB, 2TB SSD

Workshop: HP G4 running as a Hackintosh until more funds can be found to upgrade it.

Software:  Affinity Suite (ver. 2), Office 365, Fusion360, OnShape, Carbide Create, Cura, Inkscape