You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1 hour ago, cyberlizard said:

does not look like footnotes, endnotes or sidenotes are arriving any time soon.  If you need these features then its Serif's old PagePlus, Xara or InDesign. Could not agree with you more though.   For me, footnotes and endnotes are essential, so for now I am using Scribus - excellent software but interface is somewhat dated to say the least.

Perhaps this is the answer. If Serif were to resurrect the availabiity of PagePlus X9, which is presumably simply making it available again to buy, that would answer the immediate need. It could be sold with the caveat that official support is unavailable, but that there is a user base of expertise which may help. 

It would show goodwill, and provide a first-class DTP. I have (yet again) today been recomending PagePlus yet again, but without a clear idea of where the individual may find a copy. 

4 minutes ago, MJWHM said:

Perhaps this is the answer. If Serif were to resurrect the availabiity of PagePlus X9, which is presumably simply making it available again to buy, that would answer the immediate need. It could be sold with the caveat that official support is unavailable, but that there is a user base of expertise which may help.

That would only help Windows users, and it would put Serif in a bit of a bind. When they stopped offering it for sale, they extricated themselves from their obligation to honour a promise that as long as they were still selling it they would try to patch it if a Windows update broke something.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Serif, the thing you are doing is a questionable if not outright immoral marketing strategy - irrespective of whether it is conscious or not. 

With each passing month your hype of 'professional DTP' lures more and more new professionals into this end/footnote trap. They go through their different frustration phases but it seems practical to think that since the software was affordable I might use it for something else than end/footnote work. But this does not make go away the fact that the software does not deliver the thing it was originally bought for. Hence, people are forced to go back to Indesign subscription while having already paid copy of Apub sitting useless on their computer.

In my opinion, the longer you keep doing this the more it begins to resemble cheating.

4 minutes ago, NaulisJakke said:

With each passing month your hype of 'professional DTP' lures more and more new professionals into this end/footnote trap.

But this does not make go away the fact that the software does not deliver the thing it was originally bought for.

People who purchase the product should exercise some due diligence first and:

(a) read the list of supported features to see if everything they need is covered;

(b) read the forums to see what functions users are asking for;

(c) take advantage of the 10-day trial to further examine the product.

And finally, purchase directly from Serif, which gets them, effectively, an additional 14 days of test time due to Serif's excellent return policy.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

13 minutes ago, NaulisJakke said:

[...] With each passing month your hype of 'professional DTP' lures more and more new professionals into this end/footnote trap. [...]

As written above, "professional DTP" [Application] does not equate foot- and endnotes

On 12/13/2020 at 7:13 PM, d_jan said:

...footnotes are implemented rather late in DTP applications: QuarkXPress seems to have introduced them only in their 2015 Version, almost 30 years after its launch. Adobe InDesign gained to support footnotes in CS2. InDesign not have a proper endnote feature up until CC2018. [...]

3 minutes ago, d_jan said:

As written above, "professional DTP" [Application] does not equate foot- and endnotes

I don't agree. Professional DTP app cannot fails to have this function. I don't care if inDesign etc. etc. have it from second version or other, I don't know of any DTP (or WP) software today that doesn't have this function...

14 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

(a) read the list of supported features to see if everything they need is covered;

this is correct, but in my opinion checking if a DTP software have footnotes is like checking if a car have the wheels when I go to the buyer... (only my opinion, ok).

1 hour ago, MJWHM said:

It would show goodwill, and provide a first-class DTP. I have (yet again) today been recomending PagePlus yet again, but without a clear idea of where the individual may find a copy. 

Sudden feeling of déjà vu.....

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/65541-footnotesendnotes/&do=findComment&comment=536959

27 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

People who purchase the product should exercise some due diligence first and ... take advantage of the 10-day trial to further examine the product ... excellent return policy (?).

All right, though I don't know and can't tell if the return policy is excellent at all here.

However, the bad about marketing is always, they kill you with tons (pages) of alleged feature lists, BUT of course they never name the important missing, or pretty buggy and thus unusable ones! 😀

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

17 hours ago, v_kyr said:

I don't know and can't tell if the return policy is excellent at all here

Basically, if you don't like it, just ask for your money back within 14 days (if you purchased directly from Serif) and you get it.

https://affinity.store/help/#returns

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

16 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

People who purchase the product should exercise some due diligence first and:

In the title of the description, it also says "Overview". We buy a software of a given type, not an insurance with clauses in small print!

😅 If this reasoning correctly, it is not written that it does offer support for a keyboard. I must have been lucky, because at home it takes care of it anyway.

In fact, it is hardly conceivable that a "professional DTP" software does not offers at least what all its competitors do: notes, recognition of all kinds of fonts, management of typographical spaces, professional translation, etc.

Having said that, it is understandable that what it is already doing is way ahead of his competitors. This makes it possible to be patient. A little.

6 cœurs, 12 processus - Windows 11 pro - 4K - DirectX 12 - Suite universelle Affinity (Affinity  Publisher, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo).

Mais je vous le demande, peut-on imaginer une police sans sérifs ?

16 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Basially, if you don't like it, just ask for your money back within 14 days (if you purchased directly from Serif) and you get it.

If I had noticed this feature was missing in that time frame, I would've!  Never occurred to me that this feature WOULDN'T be included.  Still amazes me it isn't and over a year later still doesn't.  How can ANYONE make something for making professional looking printed material NOT have it?  It's like making a car without shocks.  Sure, it'll work fine for some people, but it's still a pretty important feature you'd expect to be there and wouldn't think you'd have to make sure is there. As for me, this software is 100% useless and a complete waste of money.  I HAVE to have that feature to do what I bought the software to do.  I can't and won't advise anyone to buy it nor can I gave a positive review for it until this feature exists.  I was very excited when this came out, but I'm quite disappointed now

A professional software setup is configured sans Serif.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Affinity users,

i just started a poll on twitter about footnotes in Affinity. I need them since the publisher beta and affinity hasen't given them to us since.

They seem to be aware of it but i think we need to tell them oce more. So please take part in this survey !!!

https://twitter.com/Leon57591542/status/1344589496042610688

Have a nice day (I need to finsih my thesis by tomorow)

See ya  ;)

10 minutes ago, Leon Lue said:

i just started a poll on twitter about footnotes in Affinity.

The choices are rather limited! To paraphrase, you’re asking respondents to choose between ‘I need them now!’ and ‘What are they?’ Many users know what they are but don’t need them urgently, if at all.

Good luck with your thesis. :)

Alfred spacer.png

3 hours ago, Alfred said:

The choices are rather limited! To paraphrase, you’re asking respondents to choose between ‘I need them now!’ and ‘What are they?’ Many users know what they are but don’t need them urgently, if at all.

Good luck with your thesis. :)

I just wanted to illustrate the fact that a DTP Software still has no footnotes. 😅 I have read some post that people switch back to indesign just because of footnotes. And I think that in areas of education (in for example a design university) Affinity publisher would have huge advantages in comperisson to indesign cc. Because of the price!

Thank you Alfred. 😊

3 hours ago, Ralph said:

... with you Alfred!

Like the idea, Leon, but would need less more &/or dramatic options to feel able to take part.

Wich options do you mean specificly? I created tho poll in a kind of rage that i have to put in all my ms word footnotes by hand now. ;)

4 hours ago, Leon Lue said:

i just started a poll on twitter about footnotes in Affinity. I need them since the publisher beta and affinity hasen't given them to us since.

They seem to be aware of it but i think we need to tell them oce more. So please take part in this survey !!!

Welcome to the forum.

The idea for a poll is not bad, but in this case I think unnecessary at this point. I understand you are new to the forum, so you probably did not yet know that Serif has already recognized that footnotes are hotly desired and indicated that they plan to add them, and more recent discussions from their representatives seems to indicate that development has already begun, though we won't see anything about it until Serif is satisfied that it is ready to start showing up in betas.

Therefore, I don't think a poll will make any difference at convincing Serif to do something they are already convinced to do and evidently have started to do. And if they still needed convincing, this long thread of many comments (which Serif pinned to the top, take note) probably is more effective than a poll. Of course, there is no harm in a poll, so have fun with it.

9 minutes ago, Leon Lue said:

I created tho poll in a kind of rage

It is never a good idea to do anything in rage publicly.

But anyway good luck with your thesis. And a happy new year.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

8 minutes ago, Leon Lue said:

Wich options do you mean specificly?

3 hours ago, Alfred said:

Many users know what [footnotes] are but don’t need them urgently, if at all.

In other words, instead of only offering a choice between ‘I have no idea what footnotes are’ and ‘I need footnotes as soon as possible’ it would be better to include options like ‘Footnotes would be a welcome addition but other missing features are more important’ and ‘I never need footnotes for the kind of work I do’.

Alfred spacer.png

20 hours ago, garrettm30 said:

Welcome to the forum.

The idea for a poll is not bad, but in this case I think unnecessary at this point. I understand you are new to the forum, so you probably did not yet know that Serif has already recognized that footnotes are hotly desired and indicated that they plan to add them, and more recent discussions from their representatives seems to indicate that development has already begun, though we won't see anything about it until Serif is satisfied that it is ready to start showing up in betas.

Therefore, I don't think a poll will make any difference at convincing Serif to do something they are already convinced to do and evidently have started to do. And if they still needed convincing, this long thread of many comments (which Serif pinned to the top, take note) probably is more effective than a poll. Of course, there is no harm in a poll, so have fun with it.

Thank you for that overview, and the warm welcome to the forum. I will look into the recent discussion. 

On 12/20/2020 at 11:29 PM, walt.farrell said:

Basically, if you don't like it, just ask for your money back within 14 days (if you purchased directly from Serif) and you get it.

1. It still false marketing (many people belive it is).
2. If you start project and then realize (like myselfe) there is no footnotes feature you are screwed.
3. If you realize there is no footnotes feature after 14 days you are screwed.

4. If you just want to use A-Publisher but you can't becouse it's lacking key features for "proffesional publishing software" it's a pity.

Radek, I also wish to have footnotes and endnotes available in Publisher, but I knew they were not there when I purchased Publisher because footnotes and endnotes were not listed as features in the very extensive Tech Specs for Publisher on the product page. Since the features are clearly stated on the products page, why are people surprised when a feature not listed is absent. This is akin to not reading a contract before signing and then being surprised by the actual details of the contract. Yes, folk get annoyed with me because I will actually read and study the contract before signing, and I always find that the details were not what I expected! At that point I either accept what I see or reject the offer. It is ultimately my responsibility to make sure my understanding and thoughts match the reality of the offer. Rarely do my first expectations match the final analysis.

Take your time, study, evaluate, and never expect your first impressions to match the full picture. These are lessons I learned by scores of years of jumping to conclusions—some lessons are learned the hard way. ;)

Best wishes,

—Joseph

Solly

JFSJ

N3MKH

1 hour ago, Solly said:

Radek, I also wish to have footnotes and endnotes available in Publisher, but I knew they were not there when I purchased Publisher because footnotes and endnotes were not listed as features in the very extensive Tech Specs for Publisher on the product page. Since the features are clearly stated on the products page, why are people surprised when a feature not listed is absent. This is akin to not reading a contract before signing and then being surprised by the actual details of the contract.

This kind of line of defense makes Serif look bad. It portrays them as a company who paint great visions of future and deliver great marketing promises while making their customers feel stupid and gullible for not reading the fine print.