You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Well, it always depends on certain used and processed software development factors and their implementation. Just a few factors here are planning, organisation, management and used dev workflow methods etc. Further it's also quite important what a specific software solution then is meant for, so whether tailor-made for a specific customer, or a globally distributed multilingual mass product, which also has to compete with other such products on the market.

For the later, the category in which the Affinity products fall, one must also meet the needs of the customers in time, otherwise you will lose them to the competition. Regardless of whether your product is cheaper or not, if it does not meet customer requirements, or lacks essential for customers important functionality, it is finally useless for them.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

This is what baffles me. Affinity Publisher was released a year ago. I bought it right away. Now, a year later, I haven’t the slightest clue whether it is ever going to turn into the product I thought I was buying: a professional publishing software. Maybe it’s just me but the word ’professional’ indicates that footnote/endnote functionality is self-evident. 

7 hours ago, NaulisJakke said:

This is what baffles me. Affinity Publisher was released a year ago. I bought it right away. Now, a year later, I haven’t the slightest clue whether it is ever going to turn into the product I thought I was buying: a professional publishing software. Maybe it’s just me but the word ’professional’ indicates that footnote/endnote functionality is self-evident. 

And that, surely, is the point

If you are going to build a better mousetrap, then be sure what a mouse looks like, how big it is, and how it behaves. Having a series of programs that inter-mesh is all well and good, but if they individually fail to provide significant basics they are neither one thing nor the other.

My overwhelming sense is one of considerable disappointment that a company in which I have had a lot of confidence for probably decades can so completely miss the point.

There probably is little point in continuing to discuss this at present. Either the Powers that be are aware of the (urgent) need for some of their user base and are addressing the problem or they are not. If the former we can hope they act with expediency. If the latter, well, what?

And for the record, I have now returned to attempting to create this book using PagePlus. In a couple of hours last night on my laptop I moved on as far as it took me several days with AP, although to be fair I am less confident on AP, which has huge potential, but will fall by the wayside unless it is careful.

MJWHM - we appear to have similar approaches.

I share your disappointment, maybe exaggerated because PPX9 was so good that I expected AP to start where it finished. I have twice tried to transfer to AP but hit basic brick walls and reverted to PP. In each case AP has failed on a universal function which I hadn't checked because it so obviously had to be there (ASSUMING makes ASSES of ME and YOU😐).

I wonder why Serif can't reverse engineer the code from PP - is it a licensing problem? Likewise, why does the list of import file formats ignore PP? I feel its like Microsoft saying that WORD2010 cannot read WORD2007 file formats. It just wouldn't be acceptable. And there is so much which is so good .....

I'm one frustrated bunny with a raft of InDesign & PP manuals/books with nowhere to go, and a potential perfect long-term home if if simply did the basics.

1 minute ago, Ralph said:

MJWHM - we appear to have similar approaches.

I share your disappointment, maybe exaggerated because PPX9 was so good that I expected AP to start where it finished. I have twice tried to transfer to AP but hit basic brick walls and reverted to PP. In each case AP has failed on a universal function which I hadn't checked because it so obviously had to be there (ASSUMING makes ASSES of ME and YOU😐).

I wonder why Serif can't reverse engineer the code from PP - is it a licensing problem? Likewise, why does the list of import file formats ignore PP? I feel its like Microsoft saying that WORD2010 cannot read WORD2007 file formats. It just wouldn't be acceptable. And there is so much which is so good .....

I'm one frustrated bunny with a raft of InDesign & PP manuals/books with nowhere to go, and a potential perfect long-term home if if simply did the basics.

Spot on. I think there was some mention about not being allowed to reverse engineer, but to be frank I have no idea when or where. Someone suggested making PP available as open source, but I can't see that happening as long as it works more effectively than the new kid on the block.

Like you, I would have thought backwards compatibility would be a fairly obvious start point, but I was told ages ago to go whistle on that.

People complain about Microsoft, but on the whole they do not pull the rig from under the feet of loyal users.

1 hour ago, Ralph said:

I feel its like Microsoft saying that WORD2010 cannot read WORD2007 file formats. It just wouldn't be acceptable.

Perhaps because foot/endnotes aren't supported? How can you import some documents that have these included, when the source program is incapable of supporting it.

Anyway, I'm with you guys. It doesn't bode well when there is such a stubborn silence when a simple mailshot informing us that it is in progress would assuage any bad feeling.

1 hour ago, MJWHM said:

And for the record, I have now returned to attempting to create this book using PagePlus. In a couple of hours last night on my laptop I moved on as far as it took me several days with AP, although to be fair I am less confident on AP, which has huge potential, but will fall by the wayside unless it is careful.

After a lot of deliberation (and a wish to use APub), in the end I decided to use PagePlus X9 for my book in February. My gut feeling was that APub 'isn't quite there yet'.

1 hour ago, adrm said:

After a lot of deliberation (and a wish to use APub), in the end I decided to use PagePlus X9 for my book in February. My gut feeling was that APub 'isn't quite there yet'.

And now, because of the risk of forward compatibility, I am trying Microsoft Publisher....

2 hours ago, adrm said:

Hmm, reminds me of an older chapter....

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/65541-footnotesendnotes/&do=findComment&comment=536959

21 hours ago, NaulisJakke said:

I can’t help but entertain the thought that there is a strategy involved. Playing devil’s advocate, namely, wouldn’t it be also possible that this long silence on behalf of Serif is just waiting for this whole conversation to die out.

I understand you are just playing the devil's advocate, but this seems unlikely, for the simple fact that pinning this thread to the top of the page is a rather poor choice to make if the intention is to allow the conversation to die out.

38 minutes ago, garrettm30 said:

I understand you are just playing the devil's advocate, but this seems unlikely, for the simple fact that pinning this thread to the top of the page is a rather poor choice to make if the intention is to allow the conversation to die out.

I suspect the reason is nothing to do with any sort of human intent, but is down to an algorithm placing threads in activity and time order.🤔

5 minutes ago, MJWHM said:

I suspect the reason is nothing to do with any sort of human intent, but is down to an algorithm placing threads in activity and time order.

No, in fact pinning is a deliberate action on the part of Serif representatives. For example, Patrick of Serif said this in another thread of mine which was pinned around the same time (which is no longer pinned, because the principle part of the request is now implemented):

On 8/30/2018 at 5:05 PM, Patrick Connor said:

No I am not part of the development team, but as this thread is already so popular I will pin it for visibility.

Interesting. I just tested this, using a thread on chapters (also a pretty fundamental requirement for serious publications) by replying to a suggestion that the experts are concentrating on Apple at the moment. The thread has not moved, so you are right. Thanks.

On 5/28/2020 at 10:30 AM, MJWHM said:

Having a series of programs that inter-mesh is all well and good, but if they individually fail to provide significant basics they are neither one thing nor the other..

THIS point sums up a lot nicely, @MJWHM

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

On 5/14/2020 at 11:12 PM, Peter Falkenberg Brown said:

Note: Publisher has a key combo for changing a selected number to a superscript: ctrl+shift+=.

Yes. This is a welcome shortcut suggestion from Affinity.

The setting is made in the “Edit/Preferences/Keybord Shortcuts” menu in the “Publisher/text” section.

6 cœurs, 12 processus - Windows 11 pro - 4K - DirectX 12 - Suite universelle Affinity (Affinity  Publisher, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo).

Mais je vous le demande, peut-on imaginer une police sans sérifs ?

1 hour ago, Pyanepsion said:

Yes. This is a welcome shortcut suggestion from Affinity.

The setting is made in the “Edit/Preferences/Keybord Shortcuts” menu in the “Publisher/text” section.

Not entirely sure how this helps, other than perhaps enabling one to enter numbers as superscript and then use  them as notes at the end. Problem arises if you want to add or subtract notes in the middle. A proper system simply resorts. It is an idea though, although I we can set the superscript in normal text editing - not easily, I admit. Thanks Pyanepsion.

42 minutes ago, MJWHM said:

Not entirely sure how this helps,

For my part, I find that the shortcut mentioned by Peter Falkenberg Brown a little earlier in the discussion is a good idea while waiting for the creation of the "Footnote" functionality.

6 cœurs, 12 processus - Windows 11 pro - 4K - DirectX 12 - Suite universelle Affinity (Affinity  Publisher, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo).

Mais je vous le demande, peut-on imaginer une police sans sérifs ?

1 hour ago, MJWHM said:

Not entirely sure how this helps, other than perhaps enabling one to enter numbers as superscript and then use  them as notes at the end. Problem arises if you want to add or subtract notes in the middle. A proper system simply resorts. It is an idea though, although I we can set the superscript in normal text editing - not easily, I admit. Thanks Pyanepsion.

Manual footnotes and endnotes? Not in 2020. Wrong software then.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.