You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

For 40 years on mainframe and desktop computers I've used software that produces endnotes and footnotes and intermixes them in documents. Surely the principles are well known at Serif. We await someone with the will, energy, and skill to implement the basics in APub.

Affinity Photo 2.4.0 (MSI) and 1.10.6; Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 (MSI) and 1.10.6. Windows 10 Home x64 version 22H2.
Dell XPS 8940, 16 GB Ram, Intel Core i7-11700K @ 3.60 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060

Sure. But as far as I’m concerned, I don’t think it will hurt or be out of place to throw a few ideas into the discussion and share some thoughts with the development team, however fancy these thoughts and ideas might seem at first glance. 😀

19 minutes ago, Granddaddy said:

For 40 years on mainframe and desktop computers I've used software that produces endnotes and footnotes and intermixes them in documents. Surely the principles are well known at Serif. We await someone with the will, energy, and skill to implement the basics in APub.

I agree. Let's get basic stuff in then iterate to fancier things.

22 hours ago, Efvee said:

Let's get basic stuff in then iterate to fancier things.

I suspect we are going to see footnotes and endnotes first. The side ones if they ever arrive they will arrive later.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

@garrettm30 @Seneca @Patrick Connor

Is it just me or are endnotes just a quasi-clone of a TOC? The only difference: you would set an anchor in the text (already possible), which gets converted to a glyph (shouldn't be difficult), and a dialog box opening to add the respective end-note text. The rest is exactly the same process as the TOC. You'd either insert it or create a new text frame at the end that. And once that block has been created, you can, if need be, still do some style editing.

Whaddaya think?

With a note (footnote, side note, or elsewhere on the page), the difficulty lies mainly in the relative position of the footnote call. If, for example, the note call is on the last line of the main text of the page, and the footnote is at the bottom of the page, then it will bring the footnote call to the top of the next page.

6 cœurs, 12 processus - Windows 11 pro - 4K - DirectX 12 - Suite universelle Affinity (Affinity  Publisher, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo).

Mais je vous le demande, peut-on imaginer une police sans sérifs ?

• Staff

I think that imagining something that works and imagining something that's great, flexible and suitable for all of these pages and pages of customers and their use cases is one of the reasons that I'm not writing this feature... ;) I also have faith in the people who will and it will probably feel a lot like you've described @Helmar with all the ifs, buts and complexity hidden away but there when needed

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

3 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

I also have faith in the people who will and it will probably feel a lot like you've described @Helmar with all the ifs, buts and complexity hidden away but there when needed

That would be awesome.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

• 3 weeks later...

Sometimes the brilliant can be the enemy of the good. I am bowled over by some of the ideas ... but, for starters, I would be happy with a simple Footnote.

That is , tag a word and create a footnote frame on the same page. If editing moves the tagged word onto another page, the Footnote frame also moves to that page.

Or have I not understood the difficulty of creating such an option?

OK it would be nice to have a simple Endnote as well!

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/8/2020 at 3:59 AM, A_B_C said:

Have a look at the following diagram.

Two-Layers.png.41b5af17da2866506031fc7aeb0349c6.png

<snip>

All in all, I think the current idea would very much reflect the actual way in which typographers develop the layout structure of a complex publication. There are always structural questions to answer. “What kinds of content do we have?” – “Will there be footnotes or endnotes?” – “Do we need margin notes?” – “What about images and illustrations?” – “How can we organise our spreads, depending on the contents we have to care for?” – and so on. The more technical questions, for instance, the question concerning the best layer structure for the document, will almost always come later.

Excellent image! A tool with the power of Affinity Publisher needs to support sidenotes, footnotes, and endnotes. Tools are in place for TOC and index, but bibliography appears to be a thing which must be built by hand. Without strong support for all of these, AP will serve well for brochures and flyers, but less well for long format academic and technical documents.

To simplify the concept, it seems to me that we would need to:

• define the note(s), which would be placed in text boxes
  • Set an anchor point and link the note to that anchor

From the user's perspective, it should be a matter of editing in place, but the linkage obviously is needed to support relocating the note when text earlier in the document is inserted of deleted, such that the document must be reflowed. This is comparable to what I have seen in online videos where an image is placed, and the image is not linked to the text, so it remains on the page where it is placed. That is opposite to what is needed here. So to reframe the question, is there in Affinity Publisher a way to link images to text so that if text is inserted above, the image remains near the text it illustrates? I think the answer at present is no, but I would be happy to learn otherwise.

On 4/10/2020 at 8:57 AM, Helmar said:

Is it just me or are endnotes just a quasi-clone of a TOC? The only difference: you would set an anchor in the text (already possible), which gets converted to a glyph (shouldn't be difficult), and a dialog box opening to add the respective end-note text. The rest is exactly the same process as the TOC. You'd either insert it or create a new text frame at the end that. And once that block has been created, you can, if need be, still do some style editing.

Whaddaya think?

Absolutely 100% correct - my thinking all along.

11 hours ago, meyer.wil said:

So to reframe the question, is there in Affinity Publisher a way to link images to text so that if text is inserted above, the image remains near the text it illustrates?

Though this is slightly off-topic, it is already possible by using the Pinning options. 😀

I'm doing a genealogy book, where sourcing is extremely important.  I use Endnotes for my sources.  I already have over 500 "endnotes" in my word document which is too big to export to PDF, so need to find another solution.  InDesign allows chapters (keeping file sizes smaller) and has endnotes.  I don't want to spend the $$$ for that, so hope Afffinity Publisher will work for me.   

Although this suggestion by Last Chance seems a bit labor intensive, I'm will to give it a try.  I was able to create an anchor, but can't figure out how to create a dialog box.  How do I create a dialogue box (assume it's a pop up??).

45 minutes ago, Pat49 said:

Although this suggestion by Last Chance seems a bit labor intensive, I'm will to give it a try.  I was able to create an anchor, but can't figure out how to create a dialog box.  How do I create a dialogue box (assume it's a pop up??).

Unless I misunderstood the suggestion, I don't think it is possible to do it that way presently. I understood Last Chance was pointing out the similarity in an existing function and how endnotes could possibly be implemented in a future version of Publisher.

I'm having to think back, but are you are referring to my much earlier suggestion about exporting the book from MS Word (or whatever) as a PDF and then importing that back into APub? It's not particularly labour-intensive, but as long as you remember that there will be limitations on adding text once it's imported as the footnotes will be difficult to reposition.

My current book has chapters that have in excess of 1,000 endnotes - that's the problem I'm facing :)

Thanks for the quick response.  So what I understand, is that there is no current work around for endnotes.??  This is the post I was referencing to..sorry, should have added that. My question was how to do the dialog box.

On 4/10/2020 at 3:57 AM, Helmar said:

Whaddaya think?

53 minutes ago, Pat49 said:

So what I understand, is that there is no current work around for endnotes.??

You can do them manually. That is, insert superscripted numbers in the body text and have another place where you put all of the endnotes at the end of the story. I do not know of a more efficient way to do it at the moment.

35 minutes ago, garrettm30 said:

You can do them manually. That is, insert superscripted numbers in the body text and have another place where you put all of the endnotes at the end of the story. I do not know of a more efficient way to do it at the moment.

As workarounds go, that one would send me to another tool. There would have to be at least some sort of built-in scripting to make that approach even marginally tolerable with more than a handful of footnotes.

Just now, meyer.wil said:

As workarounds go, that one would send me to another tool. There would have to be at least some sort of built-in scripting to make that approach even marginally tolerable with more than a handful of footnotes.

I understand. That is the point of this whole thread requesting footnotes and endnotes. I do not know how else to do it presently in Publisher.

12 hours ago, A_B_C said:

Though this is slightly off-topic, it is already possible by using the Pinning options. 😀

Though it looks useful, on my machine the dragging of a pin seems not to work. When I click the pin, it immediately is inserted at the top left corner of the text frame to which it links. When I click on the placed pin, I do not see the circle that would indicate the drag is enabled. Could this interact with some other settings? This is under Windows 10, though I would be surprised to learn that it works on Mac and not in Windows....

3 hours ago, Pat49 said:

Thanks for the quick response.  So what I understand, is that there is no current work around for endnotes.??  This is the post I was referencing to..sorry, should have added that. My question was how to do the dialog box.

Hi Pat, and all,

I posted this back in January. It's not perfect, but it *is* a way to paste text *with* footnote/endnote numbers, and then past the footnotes or endnotes as a block.

Note: Publisher has a key combo for changing a selected number to a superscript: ctrl+shift+=.

===

Hi All,

I've just moved from PagePlus to Affinity, for a new book I'm working on. I'm VERY grateful that Affinity Publisher is finally out, and has a future.

I've read many of the comments about footnotes, and of course I agree. I'm actually using endnotes, created in a word processor. Copying essays from a word processor has been a pain, because things like italics are lost (using "paste as plain text"), unless you want to hassle with having to change all of the styles after pasting the content. But also of course, the footnote / endnote numbers are lost completely.

However, I've found a decent workaround to preserve the endnote / footnote numbers:

In my word processor (I use Libre Office Writer and also TextMaker (part of SoftMaker Office) I save the essay as an html file.

Then, I pull the html file up in my browser and simply copy and paste the text. All of the numbers in the text are preserved and copied.

Using html, the endnotes at the bottom of the essay can also be copied, with numbers intact. (I haven't tried footnotes, but I imagine they'll work as well.)

Unfortunately, the in-text numbers lose their superscript style, so that has to be added, but at least the numbers don't have to be inserted.

Of course, I realize that these numbers in the text are not dynamic, but I think it's better than having to insert them all.

Anyway, it's a bit of a workaround.

Peter Brown

datavarius_logo_dv_50.jpg.620c8e62273c6224ead02c1f7ae8f76f.jpg

I'm a writer, speaker, and publisher.
I also own a web programming consulting business at:
https://datavarius.com
I specialize in creating custom websites and web database applications.