You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

11 minutes ago, Sukram1947 said:

Hi, LastChance and Mike! I understand you. But I repeat: keep quiet, stop the rat race and find a another way to get your foot-/endnotes ...
Let's see what we receive and stop complaining too much!

Me? I'm not complaining.

Nor am I "stuck" using Affinity software. Or Adobe software. Or Quark software. Or Viva Designer. Or ...

I have, and will use, whatever the client wants me to and/or the job dictates. What I will not do is use software that required work-arounds for a feature (or features) that a particular job needs. Nor will I make plans to use a software that is deficient in one or more requisite features based upon a time estimate by any developer of software. Until a feature or features are in a particular software application, it is vaporware. Until a feature or features are in a particular software application and has been thoroughly tested, it is a feature or features that I cannot use.

I see no reason to make plans based upon even a software developer's best intentions--or lack thereof. 

1 hour ago, MikeW said:

If you need footnotes now, then what do you think you need to use?

TeX! (LaTeX or ConTeXt, the latter is easier for people thinking in layout terms.)

It’s free, but has a steep learning curve. I’m typesetting most of my books (science/humanities, fiction, architecture, children’s, proceedings) with it since 20 years.

11 minutes ago, fiëé said:

TeX! (LaTeX or ConTeXt, the latter is easier for people thinking in layout terms.)

It’s free, but has a steep learning curve. I’m typesetting most of my books (science/humanities, fiction, architecture, children’s, proceedings) with it since 20 years.

Then why are you even here?

The person I quoted has used, or is using, ID. Why in the world would they choose something as obtuse to a new user as TeX (of any flavor)? There are reasons for using TeX...but just for footnotes it would be my last choice.

I’m not completely serious, you know. But I like to remind people that there are alternatives. (Of course you can also try Scribus – I don’t like it.)

I’m here because I need a layout program for, well, layouts that are too “visual” for TeX. But every time I did a book in QXP or ID and it needed “scientific“ stuff like footnotes or indexes I longed for TeX, because that’s where it excels. It’s no fun to do image placement in TeX.

16 hours ago, fiëé said:

It’s no fun to do image placement in TeX.

Tables can be challenging at times too...  but when you have a document that sits neatly within its niche, TeX/LaTeX remains one of the best options out there, and I don't see that changing any time soon.  I'm quite glad though that it is not the only tool in my toolbox...

18 hours ago, MikeW said:

There are reasons for using TeX...but just for footnotes it would be my last choice.

I don't think the need for footnotes would influence me one way or the other to use TeX/LaTeX; easy enough to do them in a word processor for that matter.  I would probably ignore that requirement and decide based on other factors.

19 minutes ago, PatrickOfLondon said:

It is still good value at the price, and is available on a free trial basis for a while — why not give it a try for free and see whether it meets your needs.

Unfortunately, I already bought it and found it's completely useless because the ability to have footnotes and annotations is critical to my needs.  I hope they fix this soon, but this was a massive disappointment and very much ruined a lot of my plans.  So now I have to waste more time reworking my plans because this seemingly obvious feature ISN'T part of this software.  :(

12 minutes ago, J@HWC said:

Unfortunately, I already bought it and found it's completely useless because the ability to have footnotes and annotations is critical to my needs.  I hope they fix this soon, but this was a massive disappointment and very much ruined a lot of my plans.  So now I have to waste more time reworking my plans because this seemingly obvious feature ISN'T part of this software.  :(

I'm sorry to hear that you feel some dissapointment. But I want to point out that you also have to think about your planning. This should have brought to your attention that this feature is missing in the first place.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Hi, J@HWC.

2 hours ago, J@HWC said:

to have footnotes and annotations is critical to my needs.

Yeah? When my new client realized that putting footnotes rather than end of section notes would cost him an extra €220, he quickly changed his mind. Having said that, I'm looking forward to the feature coming.

6 cœurs, 12 processus - Windows 11 pro - 4K - DirectX 12 - Suite universelle Affinity (Affinity  Publisher, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo).

Mais je vous le demande, peut-on imaginer une police sans sérifs ?

Jakke, yes, right. I work for clients in academia and there will always be footnotes in the Word texts they send me. In IDCC, importing from Word the footnotes are (thankfully) recognised and converted.. I wish the same where true in APub. Most of every source file I get to layout is (still unfortunately) from a .doc or .docx file but thats the way I get the texts into my workflow.. 

PS good luck for the thesis 🙂

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Now that 1.8 is out, the last piece in the puzzle keeping me away from Publisher has been removed. It now has IDML import that actually works (well, there are glitches, but it basically works). It will take me a long time to fully transition from Adobe, but I will do so. Footnotes, Endnotes, and a Cross-reference system is critical for me as well, and I will still have to use InDesign for book publishing for that reason. But I will use Publisher for everything else, if nothing more so that I can break it, file bug reports, and help to make it an even better product.

As the CIO of a large printing company who pays out literally hundreds of thousands of $ to Adobe every year, I am dedicated to the overthrow of the Adobe Empire. Affinity is the only viable alternative to the unholy Adobe trinity.

• 2 weeks later...

Second this...

Full support for Citations and Bibliography using CSL... Integration (Reading from generated BibTex or CSL Json) with Zotero, Mendelay, Citava, JabRef or other Bibliography tools...

There are already multiple libraries for most programming languages out there supporting this, that most likely would be easy to implement...

On 9/3/2018 at 2:13 PM, A_B_C said:

+1 … of course … :)

And the option of converting footnotes to endnotes and vice versa. And the option of using a different number of columns for footnotes than for the main text. And the option of positioning footnote frames freely on a spread. And …

+1 : And to that I would add the option to -finally- get the option to use numbered footnotes and asterix footnote in the same document. (a game-changer to me)

In a nutshell: a Word-like management of footnotes/endnotes (to finally work seamlessly and feel flexible !). Awaiting for that before forcing my team to transition to use Affinity only !

6 hours ago, Martin-M said:

Awaiting for that before forcing my team to transition to use Affinity only !

Me too! I have a team struggling with multiple versions of Quark Xpress and InDesign. As soon as Publisher gets footnotes I am going to push to switch over.

2 hours ago, Efvee said:

Me too! I have a team struggling with multiple versions of Quark Xpress and InDesign. As soon as Publisher gets footnotes I am going to push to switch over.

At least then the team will all be using the same software (regardless if it will go smoothly for books once foot/endnotes are available). Working with disparate applications is a recipe for problems.

Dear Affinity,

Graphic designers do need Footnotes AND Sidenotes ! (please don't do the same mistake as IDCC where you still need an unofficial script to create Sidenotes ...)

Why ? Well .. because footnotes/endnotes/sidenotes are a vital feature for every academic publications, and basically a vital feature to every graphic designer.

Thanks a lot :)

Numériser_1_2.jpeg

Numériser 2 copie 3.jpeg

722bf179479379.5cc43380d5f92 2 2.jpg

I hope they will get the opportunity not to implement it as in InDesign or any wordprocessor. Notes in a creative publication are not always at the foot. They are sometimes in the margin, in line with the reference.

I hope Affinity can do something new in this area, starting from the analysis of the best art books.

Paolo

EDIT: Sorry, I saw only now the post above, saying the same things, but better.